Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Louisiana shell jacket"

Hi,

Does anyone know how many inside pockets there are in the "Louisiana shell jacket"? Also does anyone know what style of pockets are in this shell jacket? Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: "Louisiana shell jacket"

This jacket was sold by The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg some years ago. They maintain an image (the same one you've attached) and description on their website in the "archives" section:

The jacket is constructed of butternut wool jean material. The present color is a light gray with a slight greenish tinge. It is a six piece body, two each to the front, back & side panels. Nine button front with locally manufactured Louisiana State Seal buttons of two patterns - the majority are Alberts LA8E, one being LA11. Small LA1's are on the shoulder straps. The cuffs are plain without a functional slit. The jacket is trimmed around the top of the collar, down the front, on the edge of the shoulder straps, and on the cuffs with dark green worsted tape (Personally, I think it started as black and has faded to a green color). Both sleeves carry corporal's chevrons of the same worsted tape. The lining is an unbleached cotton tabby weave. The front portions of the jacket are also padded with cotton batting. The jacket has an inside patch pocket on the left side. Unfortunately, the coat has had encounters with moths, who have devoured much of the wool, leaving the cotton as strings in places. Despite this damage, the condition is otherwise good. The coat bears some resemblance to other known Louisiana jackets in terms of material and trim.
    Note the padding in the front. I presume this is similar to what would be seen on a frock coat. To truly reproduce the jacket, one would want to know the pattern of the stitching on the quilting in the front.

I hope this is helpful.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the information.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
        This jacket was sold by The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg some years ago. They maintain an image (the same one you've attached) and description on their website in the "archives" section:

Note the padding in the front. I presume this is similar to what would be seen on a frock coat. To truly reproduce the jacket, one would want to know the pattern of the stitching on the quilting in the front.

I hope this is helpful.
        Agreed...in order to reproduce this coat, one would need to know the "style" of padding in the front of the coat. I've examined a few jackets now, that have had cotton/wool batting in the front of the coat (purpose to give the coat a more rigid body). Not all jackets though use a quilting method for the padding...some (as in the jackets I've examined) simply have the batting sandwiched in between the outer panel of the jacket and a full inner panel of the body material...As noted...without seeing the interior of this jacket, it's hard to say which method was used.

In reference to the original question:

Does anyone know how many inside pockets there are in the "Louisiana shell jacket"? Also does anyone know what style of pockets are in this shell jacket?
        Pockets range from 1-2 in most of the jackets (not exclusive to LA) I've seen or read about. The number of pockets have been interpreted in a variety of ways...and can be factors of who was assembling the jacket, how much time they had, post-issue modification "field-modified", private purchase (the purchasee thus having more input into the construction of the jacket)...etc. I don't have my books/notes at hand on the Page Lapham jacket (Richmond, VA guy who joined the Washington Artillary of New Orleans)...does anyone know how these jackets relate in construction?

Style Pockets...same issue...without images of the interior of the jacket...it's hard to say.
        Paul B.
        Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 07-16-2008, 09:10 AM. Reason: additional info.
        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
        (Loblolly Mess)
        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Hi,

Thanks. You do bring about some interesting thoughts on what type and the amount of pockets in the shell jacket. I am most likely going to add one on the left side, as per the original, and I will most likely add a field added pocket on the right side of the jacket. Thanks again for the information.
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

>The jacket is constructed of butternut wool jean material. The present color is a light gray with a slight greenish tinge.<

Could it have originally been gray and over time it faded to butternut/light brown: “The present color is a light gray with a slight greenish tinge”. Fading from butternut to gray/green isn’t what I’ve read that usually occurs? I have read many times that the natural gray pigments did have a tendency to fade from gray to light brown.

What are your thoughts, guys?

I am interested because I am in a Louisiana unit.

Thanks for posting the picture!

Brian Wiswell
            Brian Wiswell

Comment

Hi,

I think that these two jackets were made by the same firm, so the orignial color may be the same as this frock coat. Here is a link to some information on the frock coat http://www.cjdaley.com/5thlafrock.htm . In Don Troiani's Civil War it talks about this frock, and that there were jackets that were also issued to the 5th LA.
              Attached Files
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
                Hi,

I think that these two jackets were made by the same firm, so the orignial color may be the same as this frock coat. Here is a link to some information on the frock coat http://www.cjdaley.com/5thlafrock.htm . In Don Troiani's Civil War it talks about this frock, and that there were jackets that were also issued to the 5th LA.
                Careful Andrew - there is no evidence for what you are asserting (made by the same firm). The frock is satinet and the jacket is jean. The best info on the jacket is it was issued to the 7th LA and the frock of course to the 5th LA. The Louisiana units often sported entirely different uniforms for each company, let alone between regiments. Check EoG for a sampling. The Crescent regiment alone had great diversity in cut, trim color, etc.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Hi,

I was not trying to say for a fact that these were made by the same firm for sure, but rather just putting a thought out there. I also know that one is made out of jean and satinet, I was mainly thinking that if they had been made by the same firm they have used the same dye. Setting this all aside, after re-readying my post, I did make my thoughts sound too much like facts, and rather than just thoughts.
                  Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 07-17-2008, 09:04 PM.
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,
                    There are images of Mississippi troops wearing frocks identical to the famed Louisiana frock as far as trim is concerned. Just looking at the images, the Louisiana Frock trim appears to be applied with more skill than the trim on the shell jacket, and yes applying that correctly takes skill in case there are any people that doubt that reading this reply.
                    Patrick Landrum
                    Independent Rifles

Comment

Hi,

I agree, putting trim on correctly takes alot of time and skill!!!!!!
                      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Another jacket that might be of interest to you is the “other” Jenkins brother, James W. James enlisted in Co. A, 1st LA Battalion. He was KIA at Lee’s Mill, VA on May 10, ’62. There was a photo of Sgt. Page M. Baker of the Louisianan Guards wearing an identical jacket found in the pocket.
                        Last edited by Peachfuz; 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM.
                        Rich Taddeo
                        Shocker Mess
                        "Don't do it, you're going to get hurt." Jerry Stiles @ Sky Meadows moments before I fell and broke my leg.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for posting the picture, that is a really cool jacket.
                          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I have a repro of this frock simply because I potray a louisianian, and the repro I have is a drak butter nut, and in Echos of Glory a series of books Me and my father own, the color of the louisiana frock is a little lighter color than mine but close to it!
                            Shelby Hull
                            3rd LA/ 48thOVI
                            24thLA
                            Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
                            Bummers
                            Before the Breakout
                            Gettysburg '13

Comment

The original frock may have originally been a shade of gray which has oxidized over time....
                              Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                              Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                              Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                              Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                              KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Working...
                              X