Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment 45th Tennessee infantry

Hi All,

I look information on the equipment of the 45th Tennessee infantry, Depot, jacket, pants, etc.
    Thanks by advance!

Kind regards.

William Miconnet
    "French Mess"
    William Miconnet
    French Mess
    AES
    BGR & IPW Survivor
    Never ever give up!
    In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
    I believe!

Re: Equipment 45th Tennessee infantry

I've seen all the existing regimental books at NARA for Brown's/Palmer's Brigade, of which the 45th TN was a part. I'll try finding my notes as time permits, but I suspect they don't contain much info that will help you.

My speculation is that from late 1862 onward the 45th was likely outfitted much like other regiments within the same brigade. As of 1863/1864, some 32nd Tennessee company arms and accoutrement inventories reported "Oustrain" (Austrian) rifles on hand--there is also evidence indicating troops in the brigade were also issued two-band Enfields.

You may want to peruse the entry for the 45th Tennessee in "Military Annals of Tennessee" to see what that says. I've previously looked there as well, but I don't think it will answer your question either.

Will keep you posted,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark,

Thanks!!!
      They are not great news, but it is already better that nothing ;)

Merci beaucoup

Kind regards

William
      William Miconnet
      French Mess
      AES
      BGR & IPW Survivor
      Never ever give up!
      I believe!

Comment

As part of Brown's brigade at Chickamauga, they would have most likely had Columbus Depots, blue jean trousers, some cloth shoes, and light colored hats, most likely grey.

Lee
        Lee White
        Researcher and Historian
        "Delenda Est Carthago"
        "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lee

Thank you for this information, it is also my opinion, but I shall like a certainty, certainly impossible to find, I know him... :(
          In any cases, thank you for this opinion which goes to the sense of my thought... ;)

Regards.
          William Miconnet
          French Mess
          AES
          BGR & IPW Survivor
          Never ever give up!
          I believe!

Comment

Here is something a little more solid, this is from a Sgt. Miller in the 75th Indiana, describing the attack of AP Stewart's division on the morning of Sept. 20, 1863, they were facing elements of Brown's Brigade, he said the Confederates were wearing, "White Jackets with blue cuffs and collars with blue pants." I checked through some of the 26th TN's CSRs and a few from the 32nd along with their entries in their company books and they were getting jean pants prior to the campaign along with some cloth shoes. I will try to find my notes and post them. Also, in Confederate Veteran a Federal veteran wrote in and asked about the prisoners they had taken at Chickamauga and he described them as being unkept, with long hair, and wearing light colored hats, he was from another unit that had faced off against Brown. Hope this helps.

Lee
            Lee White
            Researcher and Historian
            "Delenda Est Carthago"
            "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Comment

Yup, the company clothing books I saw at NARA for the 32nd TN indicate troops were receiving "jean jackets," "[geane] pants," and "caps," at least as early as January 1863.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

An article interesting on the subject by our regretted John Hopper http://www.acws.co.uk/archives/military/depots.htm
                William Miconnet
                French Mess
                AES
                BGR & IPW Survivor
                Never ever give up!
                I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by LWhite64 View Post
                  Here is something a little more solid, this is from a Sgt. Miller in the 75th Indiana, describing the attack of AP Stewart's division on the morning of Sept. 20, 1863, they were facing elements of Brown's Brigade, he said the Confederates were wearing, "White Jackets with blue cuffs and collars with blue pants." I checked through some of the 26th TN's CSRs and a few from the 32nd along with their entries in their company books and they were getting jean pants prior to the campaign along with some cloth shoes. I will try to find my notes and post them. Also, in Confederate Veteran a Federal veteran wrote in and asked about the prisoners they had taken at Chickamauga and he described them as being unkept, with long hair, and wearing light colored hats, he was from another unit that had faced off against Brown. Hope this helps.

Lee
                  Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
                  William Miconnet
                  French Mess
                  AES
                  BGR & IPW Survivor
                  Never ever give up!
                  I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by markj View Post
                    Yup, the company clothing books I saw at NARA for the 32nd TN indicate troops were receiving "jean jackets," "[geane] pants," and "caps," at least as early as January 1863.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger

To you too, thanks!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
                    William Miconnet
                    French Mess
                    AES
                    BGR & IPW Survivor
                    Never ever give up!
                    I believe!

Comment

Not just what you are looking for, but this gentleman gives some great accounts of his service with the 45th Tennessee Regiment and has a little to say about clothing. Take it for what it's worth.

"The Tennessee Civil War Veterans Questionnaires; Volume Two, p. 576-577"

R.S. Cowles

West Harpeth, Williamson Co., Tennessee

79 years old January 31, 1923

(Extra Page)

"I was wounded in the arm at the battle of Shiloh and never afterwards _____ during the many perilous experiences, through which I passed during the Civil War and how this was possible I am unable to say. We carried thirty-six men into this battle and eighteen were killed and wounded, three of whom had their bodies literally torn to pieces, so that they never could be recognized, even if they could have ever been found. They were Lt. Wilson, Jim White and Bud Sheffield. The latter came to us on our retreat from Donalson and had never actually been sworn into the service at the time of his death. After the battle of Shiloh we went to Vicksburg, Miss. this in the summer of 1862. We had no regular engagements there, but a good deal of skirmishing. We remained there six weeks and had a great deal of sickness among our men. From there those able to go, went to Baton Rouge, La., there we stayed a few days and then went on to Jackson, Miss. and camped about six miles from Jackson near Brandon, in the meantime the Tennessee army went into Kentucky, and we were ordered from there to Knoxville, Tenn. Our company did not go into Kentucky, but went to Knoxville and remained until after the battle of Perryville and were then ordered to Murfreesboro, Tenn. This was the latter part of the year 1862. Our command was in the battle of Murfreesboro, commanded by John C. Brown, afterwards Gov. of Tenn. The army left Murfreesboro and spent the winter around Tullahoma, Tenn. this being the winter of 1863, after this we went to Chattanooga, Tenn. and were there from the summer season to the 18th and 19th of September, where we were in the battle of Chickamauga, in which I lost my brother, J.B. Cowles, also Lt. Bob Pollard. We then went to Dalton, Ga. and were there all winter of 1864. The following spring the Georgia campaign opened. We were in all of the Ga. engagements running into the early fall. We went to Atlanta and were there at the fall of Atlanta. From there we re-traced our steps and our army was in Tenn., in the fall of 1864I was not in any further engagement in Tenn. I was in the battle of Franklin, being at that 21 miles south at Columbia, Tenn. Our division was left at Columbia to make a feint; so that our army could cross Duck river above Columbia. The battle of Franklin came on the 30th day of Nov. before our troops could reach there. The morning of the battle of Franklin, we came on to Spring Hill within 12 miles of Franklin, reaching there about 10 o'clock. There we were ordered to halt, and wait for our ordinance and supplies. We left Spring Hill and reached Franklin about 2 o'clock A.M. Dec. 1st, 1864. From Franklin we went on to Nashville, the next day and from there were ordered to Murfreesboro to reenforce Gen. Bate, who was there and had called for re-enforcements. There was no fight of any consequence after we got there. This was in December 1864. From there we came via Caney Spring, Marshall co. to Columbia, Tenn. We were there a few days and went on south, crossing the river. Had a small engagement at Anthony's Hill, six miles from Pulaski, where I was slightly wounded, from there went on through Alabama and Mississippi to Mobile and went there to Agusta, Ga. This was in the early winter of 1865, and in March 1865, we were in our last engagement at Bentonville, North Carolina. At this point we were ordered to advance on the enemy, trailing arms, but reserve your fire. They poured a volly of shot into us. My gun was literally shot to pieces in my hands. The stock of the gun was torn into fragments until I practically had no gun. We charged and routed them. When we reached their breastworks , I picked up a gun and found a ram rod near by and thus armed. I went on with the boys. From there we made a left oblique move and struck the enemy's lines there being three of them. We took two lines, driving the enemy behind the third line. We did not linger there you may be sure; had nothing on our right, except a skirmish line, and that very short. This line was heavily fortified and the enemy strongly protected. In a short time we were ordered to fall back. My company fell back, leaving me there firing as I did not hear the command, and I shot at a tall man above the breast works, our men having retreated in the meantime. After I shot, I looked and only saw one man, realizing my great danger for the first time. I then fell back, and strange to say was not struck by a bullet. Notwithstanding the fact the enemy was centering their fire on me, and this other man. I then retreated back, and as some of my comrads afterwards told me fairly rolled over the breastworks, getting out of danger. We captured in this engagement twelve Yankees, taking them back with us, on our backward journey. We remained there a few minutes and retreated. There were sixty-two men in that squad, commanded by Col. Anderson Searcy and Col. Hall. Sixty of us came out all right. Of the number who thus survived, appear the names of W.H. Ogilvie, W.H. Graham. J.W. Sledge, J.W. Gee, R.S. Cowles. As before stated only two of us, W.H. Graham and myself survive. We were on our retreat in the swamps of South Carolina for 12 to 14 days. When our retreat begun in was on Sunday and the next rations we drew were on the following Sunday. We had to live during this week upon what we could pick up as we traveled, but got no bread until the next Sunday. How we survived this fearful ordeal, I do not know. We however, kept our twelve prisoners and delivered them safely to the propr authorities. We laid in the swamps in the day time and travelled as best we could fell our way during the night time. We turned these prisoners over to the authorities at Greensboro, N.C. This was in March 1865, and at Greensboro we surrendered in April 1865. We got home, May 22nd, 1865. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to describe the trials and tribulations and dangers which we were subjected to up to this time. We endured many and almost constant hardships without murmur, then, or since. Our men were most of the time poorly fed, at times almost to the point of starvation, and as poorly clothed and shod. Nothing however seemed to daunt them. They fought, bled, suffered and many died, in a cause they loved better than their own lives. Speaking for myself (and many others fared likewise), I did not draw from the Confederate goverment as much as twenty dollars worth of clothing from the Confederate goverment in the space of three years and seven months. My sole dependence in this line was what could be smuggled through the lines from the home folks."
                      Last edited by boozie; 07-26-2008, 10:30 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Grandad Wm. David Lee
                      52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                      - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Merci boozie! ;)
                        I am always careful with the testimonies several years later, the memory often becoming confused with them " I was told that ", I have strange examples on the WWII, but this testimony is quite even very interesting...
                        William Miconnet
                        French Mess
                        AES
                        BGR & IPW Survivor
                        Never ever give up!
                        I believe!

Comment

Here's the stuff I found at NARA on the 23rd Tennessee Battalion, which was in the same brigade as the 45th TN.

Enjoy,

Mark Jaeger
                          Attached Files
                          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Gents,

I had an ancestor in the 45th Tn. Infantry. William A. Smith. I've seen a letter of his that in fall of 1863 his regiment procured "new jackets with blue collars and cuffs". Sounds like Columbus Depot to me, but without him outright saying this in the letter, it is left to speculation. But I think we can all make the educated guess that this unit had jackets from the Columbus Depot.

I'll try to call my cousin and see which month the letter was written in.
                            Herb Coats
                            Armory Guards &
                            WIG

Comment

Herb,
                              If you can get me a copy of that letter I would really appreciate it, particularly if its from Sept or Oct of 63.

Lee
                              Lee White
                              Researcher and Historian
                              "Delenda Est Carthago"

Comment

Working...
                              X