Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Equipment That Went North

Hi,

I have been wondering abou this for along time. What did Federal soldiers do with Southern souvenirs while on campaign? Here is a quote from, Don Troiani's Soldiers in America 1754-1865, that talks about this:

From the Revolution to the present day, the U.S. soldier has been a noted souvenir hunter. The Civil War soldier helped estblish this tradition. To this day, homes from New England to I owa uield relics that were carried home by Yankee volunteers. Sgt. David K. Stannard, Company E, 49th Massachuetts Infantry, was no exception.
    Sergeant Stannard, by occupation a mechanic, enlisted in the 49th in September of 1862 from his in New Marlborough. The 49th Massachuetts was one of a number of regiments enlisted in New England for nine months of service that were spent in the area of New Orleans for the operations against the Confederate strongholds on the Mississippi. The regiment was engaged in the siege of Port Hudson and in the assault that resulted in that the garrison's surrender on July 8,1863. Sixty-five men of the 49th volunteered for a desperate attempt on the Confederate position on May 27, which resulted in the loss of sixteen officers and men killed. By the time of the final surrender, the term of service of the regiment was almost over.
    It is certain that many of the men who saw action were eager to take home a trophy of their service in the South. The Confederate canteen taken by Sergeant Stannard is one of several known today that bear the inscriptions relating to their capture of Port Hudson. ( I know these men of the 49th were heading home anyway, but I am mainly wondering about the common Federal soldier on campaign.)

1. Did they carry the souvenir with them on campaign? ( I know that I would not carry the extra weight.)

2. Did they use the souvenir equipment on campaign?

3. Did they send the souvenir home?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 07-25-2008, 03:54 PM. Reason: English
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Confederate Equipment That Went North

Tim Welch is nice enough to post pictures and some information of a wartime souvenir on his website:

(he also makes a nice reproduction of that cartridge box!)
    Andy Ackeret
    A/C Staff
    Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
      Hi,

1. Did they carry the souvenir with them on campaign? ( I know that I would not carry the extra weight.)
      I would think that depended on what the souvenir was.

It is not uncommon to find CS buttons in Yankee camps. My best Block C button came from a camp of the 11th Pennsylvania Cav. I think anything that could be used or carried in a pocket probably stayed with the soldier until such time as it was convenient to send it home or it was lost. On the other hand, items like canteens and large knives, if not used, were mailed home. The mail was functioning pretty well during the war.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hi,

Thanks. I would most likely would carry the buttons, but as you said I would send a knife or canteen.
        Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 07-25-2008, 05:42 PM.
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hallo!

The Wisconsin Veterans Museum "Pea Ridge blanket..."

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

In the book I’m currently reading on the 1st Minnesota, The Last Full Measure by Richard Moe it talks about how at First Manassas a lot of the boys where looking confederate revolvers to send home as war souvenirs. It also mentions in another part of the book the pickets on post trading buttons with each other across the Rappahannock, perhaps that’s how Jim’s button ended up in a union camp. A friend of mine had the remains of an entire Union soldiers kit taken from a grave that was discovered outside of Atlanta. The bones where given a proper burial at a cemetery but he got the remains of his trousers, sack coat, shoes, blanket and equipage. He was buried with a confederate tin drum canteen so at least one union soldier was carrying one.
            -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
            93rd New York Coffee Cooler
            [I]
            "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
            [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Hi,

That is very interesting.
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
              X