Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian Vest & Windowpane Trowsers

Pards,
    For your inspection is CDV of James H. Mathews, Co. H, 2nd Iowa.
    He is proudly sporting a pair of trowsers that beg color photography.
    Thank you for encouraging my behavior.
    Mark Warren
    Hairy Nation
    Attached Files
    [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
    "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
    Mark Warren
    Bloomfield, Iowa

Re: Civilian Vest & Windowpane Trowsers

Love the image and it is the most remarkable and telling that I have seen in a long time.

Note the "white" pattern of the trousers: They were made by a very inexperienced hands by today's standards and the miss match highly obnoxious. Hum, wonder if the seamster was in haste or saving yardage ?

My bet is those britches were home sewn and the seamster was saving yardage. Judging from the image that repeat had to have been at least 6 inches. A lot of yardage wasted if you match the pattern and lay.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT][COLOR=Navy]Barb McCreary (also known as Bertie)
    Herbal Folk Healer, Weaver and Maker of Fine Lye Soap[/COLOR]
    [url]www.winstontown.com[/url]

Comment

Sir, I guess lining up material didn't matter much eh. Is that sun light on the floor under that great chair (with the woven seat)?Great set of lamb chops, kinda reminds me of someone. (Quinn)? Nice image, thanks for bringing it out. (Ma'am Cottoncarder) the trousers were first thing I noticed also.
      Last edited by yeoman; 07-28-2008, 11:26 PM. Reason: after thought to Cottoncarder
      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Matching plaids and figured patterns in garments mid-century wasn't really a priority, and in no way means that the sewer didn't know what they were doing. If you study enough period images you'll find its about 50/50 match/un-match. Even period fashion plates show plaids not matching up. The beauty of the fabric is what was important not the intricacy of lining up the patterns.

I own several original figured and plaid vests, very little effort was made in lining up the patterns in any of them.
        Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Working...
        X