Union Color Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Color Guard

I am looking for information on the Color Guard of the Union Army.
    As a Reenactor, I am now the Color Sergeant in a Battalion of about 150 men.
    I am aware of all the Basics, I am looking for the details for the following 5 questions. I have been told if I am looking for details, this is the place to get them.

1) Where in the Battalion would the Color Sergeant's tent be in the 1860's? I have been falling in at the end of the Color Company street because that is where I form the Color Guard. This location puts me further away from the Colors then most of the entire Battalion, which can't be right because I would be responsible for the Color's protection 24 hours a day.
    2) When on the March...A space in front and a space in the rear of the Color Guard? If so, how much space?
    3) WHEN MARCHING....When to let the Colors fly and when to hold the Colors to the Pole?
    4) DURING DRESS PARADE...........When to let the Colors fly and when to hold the Colors to the Pole?
    5) I see from google photos the more modern Military version is to carry the Colors with your right hand on top.
    For the last year, I have carried the pole with my right hand on the bottom, holding the flag to the pole with my left hand on top. I handle the flag with my left (folding, unfolding and releasing, etc) hand while my right hand holds the pole on the bottom. SO....is this correct for the Civil War period? It is very possible there were no rules of any kind like this in the 1800s.
    Thanks for any help I can get
    Edward Kuhlmann
Working...
X