4th Michigan (canada hat )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Michigan (canada hat )

Okay i came here looking for some help, I am wanting to find someone who can help me out by making these hats for myself and others. I have asked other Suppliers of hats and i get told to talk to the same person, when i did i was told they didnt want to do them because they didnt want to buy the felt needed. Here is what i am looking for, the (canada Hat ) is a simple felt hat that is rolled up in the bottom, the color is of a medium maroon color, the tassle is ski blue in color with the bulb of the tassle attached to the very top of the hat, the tassle cords should come to the bottom of the ear or to the bottom of the jaw. My question does anyone know of someone that will make these hats out there. There are anumber of people interested in buying this hats if someone can and will make them. Thanks ever so much for any help in this matter.
    Steve Bucher
    4th Michigan Co A
    Last edited by recruiter4thmichigan; 07-30-2008, 05:25 AM.

Re: 4th Michigan (canada hat )

A photograph of such a hat would help immensely....
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I believe this to be the hat you are refering to:

from the Dale R. Niesen Collection
      Last edited by lukegilly13; 07-30-2008, 08:37 AM.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Yes Sir that would be the hat i am looking for .There are also more photos at the following website www.4thmichigan.com

Comment

Although that is not a very detailed image, I believe that it would not be extremely hard to reproduce if one could get access to the materials. Is there any trim (like a braiding around the folded bottom) or do you know of any color (modern) images of an original?
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

These hats were made in several different variations some with out a border and some with , all depends on when they were made and who made them it seems. From what i can tell it looks like the early hats didnt have a colored edge around them, but some of the what seems to be later made ones did. From a colored on photo the hat is like i stated a medium maroon color with a ski blue tassle

Comment

There are several wool felt suppliers out there. If you have detailed images showing the construction of the hat...this looks to me like a basic hat to reproduce. You might experiement with some cheaper fabric until you get the pattern and the look you want.
              I have ordered wool felt from a supplier in the past...they ahve maroon in-stock and I contacted then for a price. I'll let you know as soon as they get back to me.
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

The problem with the fabric is that the minimum order is $100. It only runs between $7.50 and $9.50 per yard. This is from New York Felt.
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Well if i knew how many hats that would make and had some one that could make it i would buy the felt myself thats not a problem

Comment

Sent you a PM with an idea for you:
                    Sorry it took so long...I have a 10 week old baby and he got a little fussy!
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Steve, isn't there an original hat from the 4th Michigan in the State museum in Lansing? I am near certain that there is.
                      ~ Chris Hubbard
                      Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
                      [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Yes indeed there is a hat there but we cant seem to agree that it is correct, look at the hat and look at photos from then and it seems different. , this being said it would be interesting to see how that hat is sewn together

Comment

Here is another picture of the hat:

Unfortunately you still cannot see anything about the construction. courtesy of Library of Congress.
                          Also a good picture of camp shoes and check out that shirt!
                          Last edited by lukegilly13; 07-30-2008, 02:11 PM.
                          Luke Gilly
                          Breckinridge Greys
                          Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Here is one with trimming
                            Luke Gilly
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Forgive me for interjecting here, but instead of making an announcement on this forum, why not call, email or visit a hat vendor!? Such examples would be Dirty Billy, Greg Starbuck or Chris Semancik. Get in touch with these guys, as it would be most beneficial to speak directly to the source. They could tell you price, design, turn around time, availability, quantity, etc.
                              Mike Dudkowski

Comment

Working...
                              X