4th Michigan (canada hat )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4th Michigan (canada hat )

Thank you for the input, gentlemen. The tassel does have a bulb that snugs right against the convergence of the seams. It's interesting that it's not visible in the two pictures. I reshaped the pattern to remove the extra room, and the next step is to find the correct wool felt. Most of the feltmakers add a percentage of rayon, but I've found two suppliers who have 100% wool. Their prices reflect the better materials, and they range from $5.95/yard for synthetic to $43/yard for 100% wool. I've requested sample swatches of the 100% wool, and the next question regards colors. If these are going to be for a group, do you have a concensus on color for the wool felt and for the tassels?

Getting closer,

Comment

Kathy,
      As far as Company C 4th Mich is concerned, no other color than dark blue for the cap and sky blue for the tassle will be allowed to be worn as that matches the references and in retrospect the appearance of the period photographs. As the Captain, commanding, I will not allow any bands on the turnup until such color can be determined.
      I understand the cost of the natural wool felt, but what does the cap require in yards, tassle and labor. In other words, as soon as possible, a unit cost.
      I will take one as a camp hat.
      The cost of quality cloth does not frighten me or the work to finish it.

Erik Simundson
      Erik Simundson

Comment

Kathy,

Interesting experiment; I wonder if you could somehow keep costs down by "felting" craft or rug-hooking wool, such as the 100% virgin wool available through Woolrich. I have seen one mid-19th Century "fez" made from woven fabric finished this way. "Boiled" wool also comes to mind.

As for true wool felt at a good price and great width you should get samples from Central Shippee. You will want their "T2" style of 100% wool felt which, if memory serves, costs around $27 a yard and is 58" wide.

If you're making these interesting caps let me know; I'm currently living in Michigan and have been getting into pre-war and early-war state garb.

Take care,
        Brian White
        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Brian,

Projects like this are a lot of fun. The process I used to treat the wool flannel was to scrub and agitate it in very hot water and then dry it. It felted quite a bit.

Central Shippee was one of the two sources for the 100% wool felt, and they've raised prices to $43/yard.

It's an interesting hat, and I'd like to make more of them. Did you have any specifics in mind? It's extremely warm, and that's a good quality for Michigan.
          Last edited by KathyBradford; 08-20-2008, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Kathy,

Wow, I had no idea Central Shippee raised their prices. I still want to make myself a seamless overcoat or two using their felt, I guess I'll have to save up some extra cash for the yardage!

The cap I'm interested in is the 4th Mich. style; dark blue body with a light or medium blue tassel. I can get some yarn and fabric to you if you'd like. The flannel I have is Woolrich's "rug hooking and craft" fabric so I think it should make up into a decent felt-like material. If you'd like, we can discuss this in emails. Mine is floatingeyeofdeath@netzero.net.

Thanks,
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Looks great, Kathy! I'd love to see some of the 4th MI boys get all kitted out a la the Brady photos for some wetplates with your help!
              [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Shaun C. Grenan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
              [I][COLOR="DarkRed"]Newaygo, MI[/COLOR][/I]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"[I]' Ellsworth! Remember Ellsworth!' was the chorused battle-cry with us all, and at each shout horsemen would fall from their horses, victims upon our altar of vengeance. -Member of Co, B, 1st NY Fire Zouaves, NY Leader, July 23, 1861.[/I]"[/FONT]

Comment

Kathy,

The sample Canada Hat is excellent! As Steve stated tassle needs to be a little longer. Our hats would need to be medium maroon with skyblue tassles. We do have tintypes that show the hat to be maroon. In response to another question these hats were private purchase. Some of the hats were of a knit fashion. Possibly these were knitted by sweathearts at home. Kathy I am talking to the owner of the tintypes to see if he would be willing to send a copy of them. As a 4th Michigan Historian I have researched these hats since 2000. Several of us have had this discussion for many hour over the years.

Dave Prince
                Dave Prince

Comment

It must be just me but I can not see the hat Kathy made :cry_smile.

Being born, raised, and living in Michigan I would love to see it and find out info on purchasing one too.

Thanks,
                  Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                  Civil War Digital Digest
                  Sally Port Mess

Comment

Terre Lawson has graciously agreed to make more hand-spun, hand-dyed indigo yarn for tassels in the next three weeks. My understanding is that this is a once a year project, so we need to get a commitment from everyone who wants one from this year's run. Her yarn is beautiful, and it will be great to have tassels that match.

If anyone wants a cap with her yarn, please post here or send an email to PreservationParcels@hotmail.com I'll need to know

Name
                    maroon or dark blue wool felt
                    hat size (see chart below if unsure)

I'll post a running list of names to make sure nobody is left out.

Each one will be made with top quality 100% wool felt, lined with linen, and topped with an eleven inch-long, very full tassel. (The tassel will be longer and fuller than the picture.)

At this point, it looks like the price will be $65, postage paid, and from each cap, $16.25 will go to preservation. It seems only fitting that it would go to support a Michigan preservation project or a place that was meaningful to the 4th Michigan. I'm open to suggestions.

I'm going to post this separately, too, and if you know anyone who wants one of these but doesn't read this forum, please pass along the word.

Thanks to all who have been part of this process.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by KathyBradford View Post
                      It seems only fitting that it would go to support a Michigan preservation project or a place that was meaningful to the 4th Michigan. I'm open to suggestions.
                      Would Fort Wayne, Detroit be appropriate?

Thanks!
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger
                      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

It must have been my work computer. I can see them now.

John, you took the words from my mouth. The Historic Fort Wayne Coalition would be a wonderful place to make the donations too. We are currently working on several projects that could always use more funding. Such as reglazing the windows in the 1848 barracks or putting up a new casemate cover. Being a member and the webmaster I can assist with setting this up.
                        www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com
                        info@historicfortwaynecoalition.com

I also will put my name on the list for a hat.

Jeremy Bevard
                        Dark Blue Wool Felt
                        Size: 7-3/8
                        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                        Civil War Digital Digest
                        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Thanks, John. Chris Hubbard mentioned Ft. Wayne, as well. It looks like our own AC member Jeremy Bevard is the webmaster for their very nice site, http://www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com/

Their active coalition of several groups working to preserve the place gives it a promising future, and my personal fondness for star forts has me leaning that way, too.

Edited to add:
                          Thanks, Jeremy. We were posting at the same time, and you were faster.

Comment

Shaun,
                            While I was looking into Colonel E.E. Ellsworth's Zouaves as the underlying influence for the use of the "Canadian hat" or "fez" as headgear by some men of the Fourth Michigan, I was informed that Ellsworth and his men never wore them. Cursory investigation shows that they were outfitted with chasseur caps for the unit's duration. So with regard to the headgear of the Fourth, one cannot attribute the use of "fez" styled headgear to the "Ellsworth effect".

Respectfully,

George Wilkinson
                            Dexter, Mich.

"I am tuff A nuff to cross hell on a wooden bridge to whip a trator"
                            Private Newell White, Co. B, Fourth Michigan Infantry (Aug. 5th,1861 letter home)
                            Last edited by 4th Michigan Historian; 08-28-2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Steve and Dave,
                              I would like to thank you both for your discretion (while at the same time recognizing the frustration) in being unable to share any of those images that you have referred to in your posts. I realize that by posting an image or so, the two of you might be able to convey a clearer picture of the hats design and colors, and proceed more rapidly towards having them made. And I will do so just as soon as I am able to post attachments to this thread.
                              While reading the other posts in this thread I started wondering...when using images from another web-site, shouldn't permission be asked and credit always be given? Just curious......

Respectfully,
                              George Wilkinson
                              Dexter, Michigan

Comment

Updated information at http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...572#post118572

Comment

Working...
                                X