Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check out the hat on the guy in the back!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out the hat on the guy in the back!!!!

I saw this picture and just had to post it.

RM

Rod Miller
    [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
    A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
    1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
    1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
    1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
    1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
    Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
    1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
    Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Re: Check out the hat on the guy in the back!!!!

Hi,

Now that is a hat!!!!!!!!!! All around a cool picture, but that hat is most certainly the most interesting.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Details from that image and an alternate view of the Iowa prisoners. (Weird re-touching job on the original prints...)
      Attached Files
      Marc A. Hermann
      Liberty Rifles.
      MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
      Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Marc,those touch ups have always freaked me out a little.Seriously,they look like weird mutant pictures.
        But that is an impressive hat.
        Cullen Smith
        South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Very cool photo!

Camp Ford in Tyler Texas is a great preservation work in progress. It has the distinction of being the POW camp with the lowest death rate in the south and perhaps anywhere. Several studies have been done on exactly why this was but the reason that stands out is the leadership and organization of the prisoners themselves. Originally for officers, a large number of enlisted men came over from the Red River Campaign captures at Mansfield and Pleasant Hill. Arriving in a very organized camp...unlike places like Camp Sumter at Andersonville, the men were kept under discipline and took better care of themselves. The climate and food were generally better as well.

Here is a link to the Camp: http://www.censusdiggins.com/prison_camp_ford.html
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

That will keep the sun off ya! Nice find, thanks for sharing.

Respectfully....
            Sean Collicott
            Your humble servant....
            Sean Collicott
            [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
            [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

The fellow in the right most seats has a hat on that I have not seen in our time period before. It looks much like a baseball cap. I would think these guys are eager to wear what ever they could get. Do you think the fellow with the large brimmed hat has an attitude to match his hat?
              Cheers
              Greg S Barnett
              Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
              ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Sir, the matter of consideration to this post would be the (shirtless?) standing fellow behind middle sitting gent and the facial hair or lack of same on these tattered barefooted men. Taking into account youth, there must have been a razor in the makeup of this mess. Also, if you examine the resemblances of back ground walls in both images on this thread, they look to be 1 by 8,10 and 12 stock IMO. Are the location and time of these photos known? In any case,thanks for bringing out these images.-----(Gentleman, thanks for the heads up and link to Camp Ford)
                Last edited by yeoman; 07-31-2008, 07:14 PM. Reason: after thought
                Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Sweet Image!
                  Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
                  The Tater Mess

Comment

YOEMAN-

The layout and building arrangement at Camp Ford has been pretty well documented. Please check out their website mentioned in an earlier post. The land it is on is NOT flat. If you were imprisoned there for any length of time, one leg would be shorter than the other! :D Most photos are from the end of the War when the men were being released.

I have done living history there several times over the last 20 years and some artifacts have been found. There are diaries from some of the prisoners that have been published and a book called "Tyler Texas" USA that would prove interesting. There was another large prison camp north of Houston at Hempstead. Prisoners would be marched back and forth from there to Ford, to Shreveport, back to Ford, etc. in anticipation of a Yankee invastion from unknown parts of the coast. These "Prison Camps" started out as mustering points for Texas troops at the War's beginning.

Joe Walker
                    Waco Guards.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Barnett View Post
                      The fellow in the right most seats has a hat on that I have not seen in our time period before. It looks much like a baseball cap. Cheers
                      Nice spot Greg!!! When I first looked at the pic...I thought it kinda looked like Fidel Castro!
                      Luke Gilly
                      Breckinridge Greys
                      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Yeah. You're right Luke. Nice pic.
                        Cpl. Ryan Halsey
                        Wampus Cats Mess
                        Mossy Creek Mess-SCAR
                        Breckinridge Greys
                        Liberty Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by yeoman View Post
                          Sir, the matter of consideration to this post would be the (shirtless?) standing fellow behind middle sitting gent and the facial hair or lack of same on these tattered barefooted men. Taking into account youth, there must have been a razor in the makeup of this mess. Also, if you examine the resemblances of back ground walls in both images on this thread, they look to be 1 by 8,10 and 12 stock IMO. Are the location and time of these photos known? In any case,thanks for bringing out these images.-----(Gentleman, thanks for the heads up and link to Camp Ford)
                          This image is great for many reasons already listed. A few things in the photo I have not seen before in period photos. As the quote above states, the shirtless fellow. I have not seen this before. This would have to be a truly impromptu photo.

Regards,
                          Greg S Barnett
                          Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                          ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Barnett View Post
                            This image is great for many reasons already listed. A few things in the photo I have not seen before in period photos. As the quote above states, the shirtless fellow. I have not seen this before. This would have to be a truly impromptu photo.

Regards,
                            There are a number of post captivity prisoner photos where the subjects obviously wanted to preserve their "look" upon release as reminder of their privations. Here is another from Camp Ford. http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/ford/index.html Many are partially or totally shirtless, wide brimmed hats, slouches turned up or worn out and nearly brimless, etc.

I took an archeology class at Rice in Houston back in college...wish to heck I had thought to promote the class "dig" to be Camp Ford!
                            Soli Deo Gloria
                            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                            X