Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harvesting time for apples and potatoes

Comrades,
    I couldn't find any historical information about when the, as we call them in Germany, " early potatoes " were invented. I mean the farnmers harvest potatoes here in Germany for 4 weeks now. This was pobably not the case 150 years ago.
    My question is: when did the potatoe season start in the USA in the 1860s (thinking of the northern states) and when were the first aplpes available. Is there any info about what kind/sort /brand ( I don't know how to call it in English) were popular and if they are still available?

Thank you for any help!
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Re: harvesting time for apples and potatoes

Look at that Jan, it is in French but it is very well made on the basis articles from Lazy jack http://rusala.club.fr/pages%20des%20...nourriture.htm
    William Miconnet
    French Mess
    AES
    BGR & IPW Survivor
    Never ever give up!
    In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
    I believe!

Comment

Hit the search engine for both of these, as several people have posted harvest times for various apple and potato varieties, as they vary around the US. Also, check out the excellent Texas article linked from Silas' links page. This is a good subject, and one that has been covered well over the years.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Hello,
        I would suggest a couple of really good books that are from the period. the first is "Ten Acres enough" by Edmond Morris written/published in 1864, Edmond writes about his journey through farming on 10 acres with his family, he tells everything you want to know!

Also another that is agriculture related is "Tarpleywick", a century of Iowa farming, by Henry C. Taylor. This another book about farming and family from the 1850s through present.

You can find both of these on Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.

As far as the south we plant potatos in early spring, around March and usually harvest mid to late summer, you can also plant later and harvest in the fall, it truly depends on weather and soil.

We are also harvesting apples now as well, but the apples that we harvest are for pies, cakes, etc. Apples that are harvested for juices and ciders are harvested in the fall. I live in Kenucky and farm and I am also surrounded by many amish and minnonite.

Feel free to contact me by email, I am no expert but have grown up on a working farm all my life, and if I can't answer your questions I am sure I can find someone.

Take care
        Kaelin Vernon
        Kaelin R. Vernon
        SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

I worked for 7 years at an 1880’s living history farm. I don’t consider myself an expert on apples but I can share a bit of what I learned from the vintage variety apple orchard they had at the farm.

We had apples that were ready to eat in July, I remember the varieties were called Rambo and Early Harvest (a name quite to the point!). The Rambo was good for cooking but also a delicious fresh eating apple. We had more than a dozen varieties of apples that ripened from July all the way to the middle of November. So the season back in the day was longer than the season on most modern orchard. Some apples are good for cooking, fresh eating, cider, long storage etc. The early harvest apple was a bit soft and would not keep well. We had a russet apple (can’t remember which one) and it was a late apple that stored well. In fact using it right off the tree was not a good idea! It was quite hard to bite into, not juicy. But after a long storage it was nicer.

I think that in modern agriculture there is a homogenizeation (sp?) of plant varieties /hybrids suit the large farm needs. And today we have different, supposedly more effective, ways of storing fruit.

To echo earlier posts – potatoes can vary in harvest time too. Some people in the north east had a tradition of eating new potatoes and garden peas together. Well garden peas are ready in June so that is implying the new potatoes are ready in June too! Of course New potatoes don’t keep well over the winter. Eat those fresh. Potatoes that are harvested at the end of the growing season are usually the ones that are for long winter storage.

Just my thoughts! Food is my favorite topic!

Susan Odom

Comment

Hallo Jan,

well here we go:
            (Sorry have nothing about apples)

Planting Times + Growing Seasons

The following information should provide you with a rough guideline on planting period crops. The following information was taken from a period farmers diary and gives you an idea of when one Farmer did his planting. However, I must give a disclaimer that the times for planting and preparing the soil vary from farmer to farmer and for different locations. Please keep that in mind, depending on where you are from.

Tobacco: March: started tobacco seed.
            May: Planted tobacco seedlings.
            October-November:Cut tobacco and put it up to dry

Corn: December-March: plowed for corn.
            May: planted corn.
            October-November: hauled corn in.

Potatoes: March: plowed for potatoes.
            March/April: planted potatoes.
            October: dug potatoes.

Sweet Potatoes: February/March: started sweet potatoes in hot bed.
            March: plowed for sweet potatoes.
            April/May: plant sweet potatoes.
            September: dug sweet potatoes.

AND
            Civil War Period Heirloom Vegetables:

The following is an abbreviated listing of period vegetable varieties that would or could be found in the garden in the 1860s. This is to just give you an idea of some of the common varieties found back then in a garden or field. There were a lot more than this. Besides the name and date, there is also a description of how the seed looks. This should help give you an idea of what modern beans, peas or vegetables to look for when you don’t have heirloom ones.

Beans:
            Snap Beans: A common bean such as kidney,
            French, garden, or filet beans.
            Snap Bush Beans: Grown in a bush form.
            -Black Valentine: Pre 1850s, - Dry black soup bean.
            -Red Valentine: 1832, -red bean

Snap Pole Beans: Grown with poles providing guidance for growth.
            -Blue Coco: 1775, -tan flat bean
            -Cherokee Trail of Tears: Pre-1860s, -Black Bean
            -Kentucky Wonder: 1850s, -White or beige in color.
            Beets:
            Chiogga: late 1840s, solid red beet with striped inside.
            Early Blood Turnip Beet: 1825, dark red, somewhat smallish beet.

Cabbage:
            Early Jersey Wakefield: 1840s
            Late Flat Dutch: Pre-1840s, nice mid-sized heads, pale
            greenishwhite

Carrots:
            Early Scarlet Horn: 1610
            Long Orange Improved: 1850: Long thin orange carrot.

Corn: (sweet)
            Black Mexican (black Aztec): pre 1860s
            Stowell’s Evergreen: 1848

Lettuce:
            Black seeded Simpson: 1850, a loose leaf lettuce that is a medium green.
            Oak Leaf: 1686, loose leaf lettuce with leaves resembling
            oak leaves.
            Tom Thumb: 1830, small compact lettuce with heads the size
            of tennis balls.

Onions:
            Red+Purple Skinned:
            Red Wethersfield: 1800, dark purple small onion.
            Yellow:
            Yellow Globe Danvers: 1850s, copper to golden brown small onion
            White:
            White Portugal: pre 1800, silver white skin

Potatoes:
            Garnet Chile: pre-1860s. Heirloom that is the parent of many
            potato varieties.
            Rosy red skin, large, round and irregular in shape.
            Early Rose: 1861, long potato with pink skin and white flesh.
            Neshannock: pre-1850s in Ohio, reddish skin.
            Peach Blow: pre-1850s, very common during 1860s,
            small, light brown skin with irregular shape.

Hope this is a little additional light in the dark.

Ingo Rolletter

Comment

Thank you comrades. I know more now and enough to be sure that there were potatoes havested earlier than october;)
              Jan H.Berger
              Hornist

German Mess
              http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Jan,

I have a spreadsheet I did listing period US apple varieites and their months of harvest. If you want it, drop me a line and Ill see if I can track it down.

Will be in GA for the next three days, can look when I return.

JER
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Jan-

Gardeners now also tend to have early and late varieties of garden vegetables; hence they plant two varieties of corn, one early and one late, to allow for a longer period of corn harvest. Tomatoes and potatoes also are commonly planted this way. They might also have two different plantings of some of the quicker vegetables, such as peas and beans and lettuce, to allow for a longer harvest, or spring and fall plantings of some vegetables. Also, potatoes, for example, when planted in early and late varieties, may also be harvested early, before they are full size. A common dish in many gardening households is new peas and new potatoes, in which you harvest a few of your early variety before they are full size and cook them with full size peas, served in a cream sauce.

While this is only an assumption and not proven by any particular citation, these are old gardening techniques that come from a time when people had to raise their own food, I asume that many, if not all, of what I mentioned above was practiced in the 1860s. Therefore, your question about harvesting time would vary greatly. Also, since there are grat climatic differences between north, middle south and deep south, this would also affect harvest times. You really would need to pinpoint [I]where[I] a harvest was being conducted, and what variety was being harvested (there are early and late varieties of apples, too).
                  [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

Folks,

One of the resources rarely mentioned anymore, but often used is the 50 CES sites. Obviously, the ones for Alaska and Hawaii won't be all that useful for the CW, but check out the collections of planting and harvesting data, as well as the individual states' notions of heirloom fruits and vegetables. The usual disclaimers as to "heirloom" apply, and the irony is the root source of this info was funded in 1862. Yes, that would be the Morrill Act, and in states with climate changes based on geography (Tidewater to Highlands, as in Virginia) the dates are often very generalized.

Since no one else bothered to post the link, this is the text of the Dave Rodgers' article from the Ground Hornets' website, as linked from Silas' collection of links. Since this is hosted on Geo-Cities and more than three hits in a 24 hour period generally kills their bandwidth, here is the entire text as a quote:

When Food is in Season
                    By: Dave Rodgers

(Knowing the time of year and it's relationship to what foodstuffs are in season is vital in the living historian's portrayal. Whether the impression is that of an American farmer, grocer or consumer, it is always good to know what would be on the table for the time of year portrayed. This article is from my families recipe book pg. 433-436 this book has been with my family circa mid 1860's to the early 1870)
                    Apples are in season all year and are cheapest from August until spring
                    Artichokes (Jerusalem) are ready for use in September
                    Asparagus from the first of May until the middle of June

Bass, of which there are a dozen varieties at all times of year
                    Beans, string, June to November, Lima from July throughout the year
                    Beef is good at all seasons of the year
                    Beets from June through the year
                    Blackberries from July to September
                    Blue Fish, a popular sea coast fish from June to September
                    Brant, a choice wild fowl, April and May, September and October
                    Bream a fish sometimes known as Dace, in winter months
                    Broccoli, a kind of cabbage, from September to November
                    Buckwheat cakes in cold weather
                    Butternuts ripen in September

Cabbage, May and June. Lasts throughout the winter
                    Carrots from the South, in May and last until November
                    Cauliflower, from June until Spring
                    Celery from August until April, but is better after being touched by frost
                    Checkerberry in winter and spring
                    Cheese all the year round
                    Cherries from the South in May and continue till August
                    Chestnuts after the first severe frost
                    Chocolate is best in cold weather on account of it's richness
                    Chub a fresh water fish, in fall and winter
                    Clams from May until September
                    Conger eels from November to April
                    Corn green, from June to September
                    Crabs from June to January, but are more wholesome in cold months
                    Cranberries from September until April
                    Cucumbers in the South, April (in the middle states) June to November
                    Currants, green, June to July ripe July to August

Damsons a small black plumb, July to December
                    Doves the turtle one of the best games birds in August and September
                    Ducks domestic are best in June and July. Wild in Spring and fall
                    Eels April to November
                    Eggs are always in season but are cheap in spring and high in winter
                    Elderberries August and September

Fish as a rule are in the best condition just before spawning

Geese wild, from October to December; tame at four months old
                    Gooseberries from June to September
                    Grapes from September till winter
                    Guinea fowl, best in winter when they take the place of Partridges

Haddock from November till December and June and July
                    Halibut in season all the year
                    Herring in season all year
                    Herring from February to May
                    Herbs for seasoning should be gathered just as they begin to flower
                    Horseradish is always in season

Lamb in March but from June to August is best as well as the cheapest
                    Lemons arrive fresh from the West Indies in winter
                    Lobsters are plentiful in market except winter months

Mackerel from May through the summer
                    Mushrooms are most plentiful in August and September
                    Muskmelons from July to the middle of September
                    Mutton is in season all the year but is not so good in the fall, the meat being drier and strong flavored

Onions, new , large from the Bermuda's about May 1st and from the South in June and those of home raising in the middle states the middle of July
                    Oranges from Florida and the West Indies are in market from October until April; those from the Mediterranean from January until May. The Florida oranges are the best and the largest
                    Oysters are in season from September until May; May, June, and July being the spawning months

Partridges, pheasants or ruffed grouse are in season in most markets from September to January, but are best in October and November
                    Pawpaws are ripe about the middle of September
                    Peas, green, reach markets from the Bermuda's about May 1st from the South May 15 home grown in the middle states about June 15
                    Peaches come from the Bermuda's in May; from the South July 1st; and are plenty in market from August to November
                    Pears which are best for eating are in season from August to October
                    Pickerel is best from September to March
                    Pigeons wild are plentiful in September and October
                    Pork should never be eaten in warm weather
                    Potatoes new arrive from the Bermuda's about April; From the South June to July and rea plentiful in July and August
                    Potatoes sweet are in season from August to December after which they lose their flavor
                    Prairie chickens are in season from August to October
                    Prunes arrive fresh from December to May
                    Pumpkins are in season from September to January

Quail (Partridge in the South) from November and December
                    Quinces are in season from October to December

Rabbits are in the best condition in November, but are in season from September till January and in the North till later until the breeding season begins
                    Radishes are in season from April till cold weather
                    Rail an excellent little game bird is best in September and October
                    Raspberries are in market from the middle of June till September
                    Reed birds are best in September and October
                    Rhubarb from April to September.

Salmon from March till September
                    Shad appear in the market from February 20 to June
                    Smelts are abundant from October to April
                    Snipe are in market from March 20 to April 20, and again in October
                    Spinach is the earliest vegetable used for greens and is continued through the season by providing a succession of crops
                    Squash, summer, from June to August: winter from August through winter
                    Strawberries from the South appear as early as April 1, but are not plentiful until June and the season is over in July
                    Sturgeon from April to September
                    Suckers from October to April

Tomatoes are not plentiful in northern markets until June
                    Trout, brook, are in season from March till August; lake trout from October till March
                    Mackinaw Trout in the winter months
                    Turkeys are best in fall and winter, though in market at all seasons
                    Turnips, new, are in market about June 1, and last through the year
                    Turtles are in market from May to Winter

Veal is in season except in hot weather, when it keeps badly
                    Venison from the buck is best from August to November, from the doe, from November to January

Watermelons are in season from July to October
                    Woodcock is in season from July to November, but is best in October.

** NOTE: The book clarifies what meats absolutely must not be eaten during certain months. On the other hand when an animal is in season, it simply means that the meat is best at that time and possibly can be eaten at other times of the year.
                    Source: http://www.geocities.com/Texasground...odinSeason.htm

Silas' handy list of links: http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm

For an upcoming event, the corn may still be green and milky or entering into the dough stage. This is going to be interesting, as we'll see who converts their canteen half into a grater by way of a sharp bayonet.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Hallo!

"Apples are in season all year and are cheapest from August until spring"

I just came in from picking up about 500 pounds of apples from my one apple tree still left, lamenting that there appears to be 4-5 times that thick and full on the branches.

Someone help me out here as I am not seeing the picture.. "Apples are in season all year..?"
                      Here in Northern Ohio apples run their course for July and August, although the last are harvested for cider come September and October.
                      I could see root cellars and dried apples, but am struggling with "in season all year."

??

Curt
                      Non Granny Smith Apple Mess
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                        Someone help me out here as I am not seeing the picture.. "Apples are in season all year..?"
                        Here in Northern Ohio apples run their course for July and August, although the last are harvested for cider come September and October.
                        I could see root cellars and dried apples, but am struggling with "in season all year."
                        In Hooper's Western Fruit Book, 1857, you can find apples listed in season all months of the year, though I expect they define the season as when the apples are expected to keep, not just when they're ripe on the tree. For example:

Bentley's Sweet. Color, red and yellow striped, or blotched; form, oblong irregular, flattened at ends; season, January to September.
                        Remarks.--"Good as a long keeper."-- Trans. Ohio Pom Society.
                        Hank Trent
                        hanktrent@voyager.net
                        Hank Trent

Comment

I have a place near Green Bay. The land was first farmed around 1880. I don't know when the apple trees were planted, but they appear to be very old. The apples will not be ripe for another week or so.
                          Dan McGraw
                          GG-Gson of Patrick Maher, Co E, 1st Minn Cavalry
                          GG-Gson of Charles Orth, Co G, 2nd Minn Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                            Hallo!

"Apples are in season all year and are cheapest from August until spring"

I just came in from picking up about 500 pounds of apples from my one apple tree still left, lamenting that there appears to be 4-5 times that thick and full on the branches.

??

Curt
                            Non Granny Smith Apple Mess
                            Jonathans? McIntosh's? My parents live in north-central Ohio and I still remember coming home from school early in the year and munching on a few apples still tree-warm. And picking up apples to go to the cider press, too!
                            [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

I think Hank is correct that they are referring to when the apples could be kept. Some varieties of apples can keep a full year.

"Apples ripen six to ten times faster at room temperature than if they were refrigerated. For optimal storage, apples should be kept at 35-40 degrees with relative humidity of 80-90%." http://www.allaboutapples.com
                              Carter Adler

Comment

Working...
                              X