Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooks and Eyes

Hey guys,

After the big Gettysburg, me and my family went around touring some Battlefeilds I had never been to. When I was at Pamplin park I was in their musem and noticed a Frock coat with federal eagle buttons on it, but something just didnt seem right about it. It had a hook and eye on the collar, but they werent hiddin in the cloth or anything they were right out in the open, I had never seen this before on a frock so I asked the musem curator, if i spelled that right, about it and she knew nothin about it. Later on at another park, I cant remember where, I saw a federal shell jacket with the same thing, these are the only two I have personally seen with hooks and eyes. Any one know if these a period or if theu are indian war, and no they didnt have the big ole poofy collars, they look very period to me but the question is, why where there hooks and eyes and was this common on federal issue frocks and shells!
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Re: Hooks and Eyes

Every original frock I have seen has a hook and eye in the collar. You can see some original frocks here:

James Duffney
    61st NY
    Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

They even have them on Federal overcoats. ;-)
      Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
      1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
      Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I've also seen them on the tail pockets of Federal enlisted frocks. Keen observation and good question, keep up the good work Shelby.
        Dennis Neal
        "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
        David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
        Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
        [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
        J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Yes, they all seem to have them. If you are referring to the way that they are attached to the coat, however, there are different methods. Examining original military garments (not just Federal frocks), you'll notice that many hooks and eyes are "hidden" a bit by being sewn into the collar seam. Others are often simply placed on top of the inside of the collar and sewn into place with varying degrees of crudeness, as I think you are describing.

-Craig Schneider
          Craig Schneider

Comment

Hey guys,
            I appreciate alot, I just have never really seen this before, I mean down in Louisiana there really arent many musems around that I can go to. There all way down south of me. I appreciate all the help guys.
            Shelby Hull
            3rd LA/ 48thOVI
            24thLA
            Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
            Bummers
            Before the Breakout
            Gettysburg '13

Comment

Working...
            X