Leather Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Gear

Does anyone know where to get patterns for cartridge boxes, cap pouchs, etc.?

My son and myself have outfitted our own leather shop and are interested to know.

I remain, as always, your obedient servant,
    Jno. Fox

How about looking at originals

There aren't a whole lot of leather good "patterns" readily available out there. Most have been developed by individuals at considerable personal expense and investment. The valuable patterns and assembly methods they have developed are frequently the bread and butter of their business and are very often considered a commodity in and of themselves.

The absolute best source for patterning is careful and meticulous study of original items in person. Nothing quite compares to holding an original item in your hands so that you can examine the weight and texture of the leather, the type of dyes used, quality and type of stitching, etc. etc. If you want to make quality reproductions, nothing can take the place of that study of the originals.

Many of the craftsmen recommended by this community have spent years and even decades doing just that and continue to do do so in order to increase their knowledge and understanding as well as to add more, new, or better quality items to their product line.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Re: Leather Gear

I appreciate the info. I wasnt trying to step on anyones toes, as it were.

I shall have to take my boy on a tour of the Maine Military Museum to see if I can look at the collection. I have quite a few items from the Indian Wars that are not hard to pattern, I just dont get quite as many CW items around at auction to purchase.

I hope I didnt sound too forward in my first posting. I appreciate all that I have read here and look forward to more in order to gain an impression that does justice to the memories of the men who fought.

I remain as always, your obedient servant,
      Jno Fox

Comment

Working...
      X