What about hearing aids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about hearing aids?

One of our mess members works with a fellow who would really like to give the hobby a try. However, he is hearing impaired and relies on hearing aids. Now the aids are a definite anachronism but probably no worse than some I've seen at some authentic events. And, there is a certain amount of risk involved whether he wears them or leaves them out. Either way could prove to have its own set of difficulties and risk. Loud noises of gunfire are going to effect him if he wears them but leaving them out sets him and others up for even more potential harm since he is basically deaf without them.

I searched the forum for the subject to see how others might have worked with someone who has an interest but an obvious impairment such as this, but saw nothing. It's a bit of a dilemma. We don't want to deny the fellow a chance at the hobby, but we also don't want to set up a situation where he might hurt himself or someone else.

So, does anyone have experience with this? Surely there have been hearing impaired folks in the hobby before.

My first thought is to fully explain the difficulties he may have on the field and let him choose whether he feels up to the challenge or not. Perhaps let him try something to get a feel for it - something small scale where risk is minimized and attention can be given to him to help him out with any difficulties he may have.

Thoughts?
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Re: What about hearing aids?

There is an older man who does a quartermaster/supply sergeant impression in my Mexican War unit....He simply uses a period ear trumpet...Although it doesnt "restore" his hearing it helps more than you would think...Plus it is quite fun to get him going...
    "We will be riding in a van" "What? By god im not sleeping with no man..." etc....:D
    Just a thought....When in line he can just pay attention to what everyone else is doing...And in camp use the trumpet for talking....
    Travis Franklin
    "Patrick Fhailen"

The Missoura Shirkers
    4th Mo. Inf.

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

Comment

as far as hearing, that really is a safety issue, I would see no problem with a guy wearing a hearing aid if he would be deaf without it. I agree the hearing trumpet would be a cool living history bit, but for in the ranks, I see nothing wrong with a hearing aid.

Ian Baker
      Ian Baker
      "Orphan Boys" Mess

Comment

Might hurt his ears in the ranks...Like my grandma who has one...If you are talkin in the kitchen and someone in the living room turns on music not loud but normal volume then she can hear it same as you and it makes it hard to talk....
        Would the loud rifle fire damage his hearing aid or "over-ride" it to wear he couldnt hear commands ?
        If it wouldnt then hey you do what ya have to do if he HAS to have it then i suppose there is nothing we can do about that....
        Travis Franklin
        "Patrick Fhailen"

The Missoura Shirkers
        4th Mo. Inf.

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

Comment

Here is a thought...what about one of those Game Ears for hunters that are designed to magnify natural sounds around you but soften very load noises (such as gun fire). I believe they are expensive....but it's a thought.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Tell him to go without the hearing aid.

Here is some evidence of Civil War soldiers who were deaf or hard of hearing.

Back in the 80's, I knew a reenactor who was a deaf mute, and he was able to fall into line just fine with his condition. He did some research about deaf civil war soldiers, and he learned how to cope. He wrote that he could feel vibrations from the ground, and he could mimic the commands by a split second in order to not stand out from the rest.
            Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 08-12-2008, 05:12 PM.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
            Cincinnati

Comment

Hi,

I agree, on the battlefield I would go without the hearing aid. But during other portions of the event he could use a ear trumpet, like others have said. Just my 2 cents.
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

(Disclaimer: I don;t wear hearing aids myself, but have family and friends who must.)

There are several possibilities here, not limited to the period ear trumpet. I am assuming he has the larger, more obvious aids rather than the in-canal ones.
                First and foremost, he shouldn't do anything that will damage his remaining hearing. A lot of modern aids have noise attenuating circuitry the way good gun muffs do. In other words, while they will jack up sound to make it audible, they will also cut off any sound louder than so many decibels. If this is the case, gunfire won't be such a concern. If it is *not*--if his hearing aids simply amplify, period--he's going to need to turn them off or leave them out during firing.

If the appearance is a problem for him, he might be able to lay hands on a pair of less effective but "invisible" aids for reenactment use. People are trading in and trading up all the time, and it may be possible to find a couple of aids that will give him some useful hearing in case Something Really Serious happens. I'm not talking about a missed command or the wrong answer to a question; I'm taking about a real emergency where something loud happens and is important (tornado, runaway team, etc.) If he decides to go without his aids, those who will be near him definitely need to remember that he cannot hear and be his ears for the event. Without having any period texts at hand, I can only state that I have read many examples of comrades taking care of one another in this way when someone had a temporary, or even a permanent, disability. Wonder how many of the real Boys of '61 had good hearing after a few months of gunfire, poor food and bouts of measles or what have you?

Finally, if none of those solutions will work, my vote is that he should take part anyway, in any way he feels comfortable doing. I'd no sooner tell him he couldn't have his hearing aids when he really needs them than I'd tell my neighbor she couldn't carry her nitro tablets.
                Becky Morgan

Comment

I know of one guy in Florida who is deaf,mute and he lip reads the commands from the officer/nco,s and is always up to speed at drill.

Don,t know how that would would work when firing though when the commands won,t come from in front,could be a safety issue.

Jason Tailford.

Temperance Mess.

Preservation March 2008.
                  Into the Piney Woods.

Comment

Sir-

My opinion is that it might be dangerous (depending on the individual's deafness level) to go without a hearing aid. If he gets one, then get an in-the-ear model that has less of a chance to be seen by anyone.

Also, if it is natural flesh-colored it, would be a plus too.

Y'know- I get a bit annoyed at people that can hear and choose to wear neon earplugs when pieces of cotton in their ears would suffice for hearing protection in a period way. This is not a problem at quality events, but one I have seen at events like High Tide recently. :baring_te:wink_smil

My 2 cents... Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Gentleman
                      I wear hearing aids. My hearing loss is 80% in my right ear and 45% in my left. Having had the experience of having my ears blasted with musket fire while wearing the aids, I can tell ya, you DONT want to have them in your ears when the guns go off. Or, you can merely turn them off and they will actually dampen the sound.
                      Now, mine are really easy to see and they don't look good at all. I have the kind that have a part in my ear and a part behind my ear. So, generally, I take them out at events so as not to ruin my impression and make others uncomfortable.
                      I am, however, lucky enough to be able to hear okay without them. Some are not so lucky.

But trust me, if you wear them, and someone pops a cap next to your head or you get some close up musket fire, it hurts..

Ronnie - Shreveport
                      Ronnie Hull
                      Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                      Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                      Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                      2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                      Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

My 2¢ is that a physical limitation like any other physical characteristic should be handled in a period context.

Leave the modern hearing aids at the parking lot along with the modern eyeglasses and other anachronistic items. If you can't find a period solution for the handicap then deal with it in a period manner, even if that means non-eligibility for military service or restrictions of roles, etc. The attitude that the modern devices are "a definite anachronism but probably no worse than some I've seen at some authentic events" is just a quick way down that slippery slope into the mainstream. I'm sure they'd have used them in the Civil War if they had them, but they didn't.

I realize some think we should do whatever it takes to accommodate folks who want to play a soldier role, but like the age old arguments about obvious women in the ranks demonstrates, once you start making exceptions to the historic standards, the redrawing of the new line just becomes so much finger pointing and hurt feelings with no basis in historic reality.
                        Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                        1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                        Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I agree completly....
                          If a period way cannot be found to deal with the handicap in millitary service then do a civlian impression....All the endless bickering does it cause lots of hard feelings betweeen otherwise great friends...
                          Travis Franklin
                          "Patrick Fhailen"

The Missoura Shirkers
                          4th Mo. Inf.

Comment

I would think to deal with it like we deal with all modern intrusions. Limit its intrusion as much as possible. A smaller less noticeable hearing aid would suffice at many events. Leaving it out and trying period solutions is a possibility perhaps. Not going to some events if he absolutely has to wear it for safety purposes, and maximum authenticity is desired at the event.

It would be a shame to pass on a good person. On a personal level, it would not bother me. I worry about my own impression, not so much about others.

My .02
                            Ron Mueller
                            Illinois
                            New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                            Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                            Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Your prospective unit member will be well served to speak with his audiologist about the specific field conditions, and whether he should wear the hearing aids under those conditions.

My father is a life-long hunter, and still so today, even though age, infirmity, and Alzheimers have limited that hobby for him. Still there is some hunting that he can do with my assistance. When we upgraded his hearing aids last year, the audiologist went through a long list of activities during which his hearing aids go back in the box. Hunting was at the top of that list.

Its a shame they didn't wear havelocks all they way through the war--what a perfect way to conceal hearing aids. ;)
                              Terre Hood Biederman
                              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
                              X