What about hearing aids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What about hearing aids?

I appreciate the input of all. We'll take the info and see what happens.

Troy, my comment about hearing aids not being any more of an anachronism than other things I have seen at authentic events was not intended as an endorsement of such things, but was more geared to a tad bit of sarcasm. I have seen some things much worse than hearing aids at some events.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
      So, does anyone have experience with this? Surely there have been hearing impaired folks in the hobby before.
      Michael,

Without his hearing aids he may be just fine at living history events where he can "see" the reaction to the commands out of the corner of his eye rather than hearing them. He'll be a little slower than the rest of the troops, but not by much. Background noise being what it is, sometimes "aim" and "fire" sound alike when a company commander's voice is not as loud as it could be. Quite a few reenactors leave their hearing aids in their vehicle, and do the best they can during the events.

He may also be a candidate for company cook. ;)
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I happen to wear hearings aids in both of my ears due to being somewhat dumb when I went to an indoor range one time and forgot my ear plugs and shot anyway. At least my hearing is not to bad for low frequencies and I am fortunate enough to be able to hear the commands (most of the time). If it is possible, it would be nice to get the in the ear type of hearing aid that cuts off at loud noises. I know the are expensive but I have heard they work pretty well. It would be best to go to a hearing aid place and talk to the people there and see what is best for your friend. I happen to wear the big behind the ear type due to the type of hearing loss I have and wear ear plugs when I shoot. The may not be quite period but I have to protect what hearing I do have left and that is the most important part-protect what you have left.
        Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
        20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
        Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
        Army of the Potomac

Comment

Michael I had a pard back 15 years ago that was nearly entirely deaf. Back then all there was was the unsightly behind the ear kind (I think,) and he took his off before the event started. He was pretty good at anticipating what was going to happen in drill, and I don't think many people noticed that he was deaf. When we fired, however, he was always a beat behind because of the split-second nature of a volley (and because when sighting down a musket you can't turn your head so much, so visual clues were hard to come by.) He was a good guy, but I have to admit that he was a little scary with a musket- BUT- I don't think it was because of his deafness, I just think he got too excited when the ball started.
          In conclusion, from my experience I think that a calm, perceptive deaf man can be perfectly safe in the ranks, especially if he has pards around who are looking out for him.
          I realize that your question is really more, "should I tell him he can do it but only without the hearing aids, or let him come with them in." I happen to have AWFUL vision, but since eyeglasses were relatively rare (and WAY more rare than a look at a company of reenactors would imply,) I never wear spectacles when doing anything military. Of course, horrible though my vision is, I'm not legally blind, so the situation is not really at all comparable. On the plus side, sometimes I am grateful the world around me is just a big blur- I can be blissfully unaware of farby stuff that is driving my pards mad! Maybe there is something to be said for not being able to hear the complete lack of first person around you... :wink_smil
          Arch Campbell
          Hairy Nation
          Loyal Union League
          Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

I agree with most of the previous comments but I think it bolis down to:

1)Check with your doctor first, protect what hearing you have left. I agree that having them in your ears with muskets going off around you might be the wrong thing to do.

And,

2) Deal with the disability in a period way. People with disabilities from the time period need to be correctly represented too. Not by just "pretending" that they could hear, see, etc. I work with children with disabilities, and they can improvise in ways that you would not believe. If you can document hearing imparied men in the ranks(which obviously has been done), then do it to the best of your ability in a period way. Which in IMHO means leaving the hearing aids in the car. If an ear trumpet helps, then use it when applicable.

It's a shame that this particular disabilty is so obvious. My grandfather lost a leg in a Kentucky coal mine. In all seriousness, this could have been a positive if he had been a reenactor. He could have worn his prosthetic leg and no one would have noticed him in the ranks, or gone without it and depicted a veteran amputee or civilian. Wish there was a "nice" way we could encourage people with such diabilities to embrace our hobby. And I don't mean this in any joking way.

D.W. Scalf
            Brisbane, Australia
            Valley, Alabama
            D.W.(Trace)Scalf
            19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
            [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
            George Santayana

Comment

As a result of boring holes in the sky over Southeast Asia for a few thousand hours in the 60's I wear hearing aids in both ears. I usually remove them before taking the field, and have not had any problems.
              Mick Cole

Comment

I know a young fellow here in Texas who is totally deaf and has been reenacting for many years. Once he learned the drill and what to expect, he managed pretty well on the battlefield. Now it was always a plus when he had a pard close in the ranks to sign for him to help him along, but I believe that after several years of experience, he could anticipate what was about to happen.
                Like another poster said earlier, once one of these totally deaf guys learns what he is to do just by watching the other in ranks, he may be just a tad slower, but it usually doesn't cause a problem.
                Lee Ragan

Comment

Working...
                X