Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CWH magazine rations article

This is Virginia's spouse commenting.

If reprints are still available, you really should buy a reprint. In fairness to the publisher, the reason the article is available is because the publisher printed it, hoping to make a profit for his services. The more money he makes, the more likely he will be able to print more articles. And, from what we have heard, copying an entire article exceeds the reasonable use provision of the copyright law since, by copying it, you are relieved of the necessity to purchase the article/magazine (what we have heard and not a legal opinion).

So buy a reprint. After all, how much could it cost compared with some of the other expenses of the hobby.

Michael Mescher
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

I agree. I only have the recipes but not the article itself. But as my messmates and I learned this past weekend there are details in the article which are not in the boxed in directions. Just for the pics, the article and such grab the back issue from Justin. I wish I still had mine so I might just do the same. If you plan on making any of the stuff (salt pork, ect.) the purchase will be more then worth it.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, back issues of the magazine are only $4.00. Publishing costs for a hobby magazine are extraordinarilly expensive, and I would encourage everyone in this side of the hobby to contribute to the only credible MBUFU (magazine for us, by us:wink_smil) left in the hobby.

With this economy, we may not have it forever.

Heck, I don't want to get carried away, but why don't we really splurge and buy a whole subscription?

Seriously, it's dirt cheap.
        [I][COLOR="Navy"]Amber L. Clark[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Some of the folks with a sincere interest in this sort of thing have migrated over here:

This is not a busy listserver by any means, but the information is useful. A more general 19th century food listserver is here:

[B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
          X