Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland type Richmond Depot

Hi all,
    If you would be kind enough to give your imput on my Maryland early war uniform. From what I understand Marylanders had Richmond Depot. type I jackets. Jim Warehime made the jacket. I purchased it through S&S Sutler in Gettsburg. I have been out of reenacting for about 4 years. I started in 1981 with 2nd Maryland, Co. A, Don Pattersons group. I then after returning from the Army in 1988 joined 2nd Maryland, Co. C, under Steve Slaughter.
    I have missed the comradery and the thought maybe I can honor those who marched before. Thanks for any imput, I will appreciate any info. I am wanting to update my leather gear, most likey through Nick Duvall. The hobby has really come a long way in authenticity from when I first started.

Thanks,

Brent Conner
    Eastern Shore, Maryland

Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
    Benjamin Franklin

Re: Maryland type Richmond Depot

Hi,

If you are looking for a early war impression, I would use the following: For a canteen, I would go with either a CS tin drum canteen or wooden. CS pattern haversack, I think would be best for the impression you are going for. The leathers should be mainly Richmond Depot or captured Federal. As far as the belt, I would go with a roller buckle, Georgia frame, Militia, or maybe the state buckle (I am not sure). Knapsacks would be Kibbler, Mexican War, or ANV Hardpacks (like the ones in EOG). The cap and jacket fit a early war impression very nicely. Just to make my self clear, these are generic recommendations, and not made exactly for the 2nd Maryland. Thanks

You should pick up the book Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown. It will be very helpful when putting together your CS impressions.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I think you look fine. First rate!
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I am envious. Only cavils would be the (apparently) .58 calibre cartridge box w/ riveted closure tab and, of course, the Enfield spike bayonet scabbard w/ British sword bayonet frog.
        David Fox

Comment

Hey now!!! Good to see another Eastern Shoreman wearing a QUALITY CW uniform! I'm from Cecil myself, with many, many relatives from down Crisfield/Cambridge/Salisbury way. Quite a few of them crossed over the bay and wore grey with the 40th and 47th Virginia.

In regards to your impression, I can say that, as long as it's based on solid research, you can't go wrong. Have you been able to locate any photos and/'or uniform descriptions regarding the impression you're trying to build? I believe I have a photo or two at home that may help you out. At the moment, I'm working in eastern KY, not expecting to be home until this weekend. Will post if I have anything useful. See ya in the field.

Billy Birney
          Columbia Rifles
          William Birney
          Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
          Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

If you are looking for a good photographic reference for Maryland uniforms, check out "A Band of Brothers" by Daniel D. Hartzler. It is a pretty good book. But he doen't seem to know what a footnote is (they are not present) nor does he source the images so you can find the original uniform or image to study.

He does have images of members of the 1st Md and 2nd Md Infantry. Some members of the 1st joined the 2nd. Hartzler has captioned some of these photos as 2nd Md Uniforms. Without a date on the image, I am reluctant to imagine the 2nd Md was wearing type 1 jackets and feel safer attributing them to the 1st Md.

But I am certainly no expert on the subject.

Hartzler's book is a good reference but one certainly worthy of a more scholarly revision by a trained historian who isn't afraid to document his sources with footnotes and sources of the uniforms photographs and accoutrements.

If you have trouble finding it I can let you know where I got my paperback reprint. Just PM me.
            Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
            Southern Division

Comment

Cool,

"Military Collector & Historian" Magazine by the Company of Military Historians published a couple of great articles by Ross Kimmell in the late 1980s that might be of value in your impression (if you don't already have them). They survey the surving unform items, photographs, and descriptions of the Maryland Infantry in the ANV, and include a couple of Troiani illustrations for the article in color:

Ross M. Kimmell, "Enlisted Uniforms of the Maryland Confederate Infantry: A Case Study. Part I," Military Collector and Historian, Vol. 41, number 3, page 98, and:

Ross M. Kimmell, "Enlisted Uniforms of the Maryland Confederate Infantry: A Case Study. Part II," MCH, vol. 41, no. 4, page 183.

Cheers,

James "Archie" Marshall
              Tampa, FL
              James "Archie" Marshall
              The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
              Tampa, FL

Comment

The books writen above are great sources for research. Also there are several books that Maryland Confederate veterans wrote. McHenry Howard wrote one book. He enlisted in the 1st Md. Regiment CSA as a private and later became an officer and reenlisted in the 1st Md. Battalion later changed to 2nd Md. inf. Randolph McKim wrote the second book of interest. He too enlisted as a private and later became an officer. Both men made referance to their uniforms. Hope this helps.
                Richard Ward

Comment

Brett,
                  If you get a copy of Robert J. Driver's book, First and Second Maryland Infantry, CSA (its available from Enoch Pratt Library) there are lots of photos of Marylanders in their uniforms. Most of the photos are officers, however there are still quite a few photos of enlisted men. The early war (`61 time frame) uniforms these men are wearing are their militia uniforms. Most are dark in color and are jackets not frock or sack coats. On page 434, there are photos of two brothers, John A Hayden and John C Hayden, both of whom are wearing the very jacket you show in your photos. Both of these men were KIA at Gettysburg. Certainly you can justify the uniform for `62 until mid `63 based upon the photos in the book of the Haydens.

As for upgrading your leather gear, Nick Duvall's work is top notch. More research is needed to determine what weaponry and accoutrements the Maryland boys had when they marched South at the onset of the war. Hopefully the MD State Archives can provide the documentation needed.
                  Dave Myrick

Comment

Brett,
                    Several comments. Based upon the research presented in Ross Kimmel’s articles in the Company Journal there is no actual definitive evidence that the 1st Maryland was issued Richmond Depot Type 1 jackets, The existent pictures from the early War era are essentially either Kent, Paine and Company uniforms procured by three companies formed in Richmond or somewhat similar uniform sets procured through the efforts of Jane Claudia Johnson the wife of Bradley T Johnson (Regimental Major) and supplied to the six companies organized at Harpers Ferry. The Courtney Jenkins suit of clothes currently in the MOC is from the same lot of uniforms from Kent, Paine, and Company and is actually made from a (now) grey-brown Satinette. In Ross’s article, a photo also shows James W Thomas wearing a uniform that looks similar to a RDI except that it has 12 buttons down the front. While the exact date of that picture is unknown is likely before August 1962. Kimmel deduces that the uniform depicted most likely is the first uniform issued to the 6 Harpers Ferry companies. Regardless it clearly is NOT a Richmond Depot Type 1 based upon the button count. These first uniforms were what was worn at 1st Manassas but were in poor condition by late October 1861 when the unit received new uniforms. Kimmel does not indicate in his article if any photos exist of these uniforms (except perhaps that shown in the undated Thomas photo) but they again would not have been RDI based upon the timing. The unit did begin to draw accouterments from the Confederate Ordinance Department in the same timeframe. By the next Spring these uniforms had apparently become worn out enough that apparantly the unit began to requisition clothing (including the Jackets and Trousers) from the Confederate quartermaster authorities AFTER Ewell’s Division, of which they were part, joined Jackson’s Army in the Valley. Since this clothing was requisitioned and received between the end of April and the end of May before commencement of the Valley and Peninsula Campaigns it clearly could have been RDI type if Jackson's Army was receiving supplies from Richmond but it would have been very early in the production of that style based upon Les Jensen’s Topology. Unfortunately Kimmel did not have sufficient information based upon his research to justify any conclusion as to the nature of the items issued at that time. Interestingly enough, a photo that he does show of Pvt. James H Clark shows a uniform similar to a RDI, with piping on the shoulder straps, collar, and cuffs, but lacking the characteristic line of stitching along the base of the collar which is found on all Richmond Depot type 1 and 2 Jackets, Clark was not a member of the 1st Maryland but rather joined after the reformation of the 1st MD Battalion/2nd MD Regiment at the end of Sept 1862. Kimmel concludes that Clark’s uniform is not of Depot manufacturer but most likely custom made. Ross also discussed (but did not show) the photos of the Hayden brothers of which he indicates the photo of John may be a Richmond Depot Type 1. The other (George’s) does not have shoulder straps, which again would be diagnostic of a RDI. The period of formation of the 2nd MD would have been late in the period Jensen ascribes to the RDI but is still possible. Several photos that Kimmel does show are of members of the 2nd MD wearing Richmond Depot Type 2 jackets. Kimmel definitely found evidence of this unit drawing clothing from the Confederate quartermaster department in 1863 which these photos document. From then until late in the War photographic and surviving uniforms pretty much document that the uniforms were consistent with the accepted timeline for Quartermaster issue, i.e. first RD2, then RD3, and then Tait imports. Finally, late in the War the 2nd MD received suits of cloths from NC stores of which a complete example survives. In summary while the issue and use of Richmond Depot Type 1 Jackets to the 1st Maryland is certainly possible Kimmel found no definitive information to support it. As such I think you need to be somewhat careful in using RDI jackets as part of a 1st MD impression unless you are specifically portraying the period after May 1862 but before it disbanded in August of the same year. With respect to the 2nd MD some RD1 jackets may have been provided to its members when it was formed in September 1862 but by 1863 RD2 style jackets would be more appropriate followed by RD3 in the 1st quarter of 1964 and Tait jackets late the same year.
                    I highly suggest that you procure copies of Ross Kimmel’s manuscripts as his work details all of this and remains the definitive work on this unit’s clothing even 20 years later.

Dick Milstead
                    Hardaways Alabama Battery
                    The Compant of Military Historians
                    Richard Milstead

Comment

Hello, I have to state with gusto that Authentic Campaigner, its crew and members is to be the source for CW material culture. I myself have made the statement many times that I will never see all of the research on uniforms, photos of Confederate or Union soldiers, QM correspondence, letters and diaries that are out there in small libraries, historical societies and private collections. You all collectively do-- and are willing to share your knowledge and expertise on many subjects.

A point to ponder is when new folks to the hobby write in and ask for opinions and help on items that have been covered many many times before, the research readily avialable if not here or in published works, I again commend the people on this site who recognize that new folks are just that new, and all of it new to them. The same questions are asked over and over and you answer them over and over again and again. You are true teachers and educators and unselfish living historians-- I salute you!

Tom Arliskas
                      CSuniforms
                      Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown
                      Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
                      X