X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: XV Corp Badge

Originally posted by Chihuahua View Post
    Pards,
    Attached are pics of my 15th Corps Badge. It was worn by Adj. Jerret Garner of 25th Iowa. Garner originally enlisted as a private in Co. F, but was promoted to Commissary Sgt. before finally making adjutant.
    Sorry pics are not better.
    Badge is 2 1/4 inches. Sheet brass is stamped, but cartridge badge flap is a separate piece. Black paint (box) and gold lettering appear to be baked on. Red (orange) appears to have been applied as per a different technique. That makes sense to me. A sutler or company agent could have multiple 15th Corps examples for sale, and then custom paint the division color himself to suit the buyer.
    This example is hallmarked "Tiffany" of New York City.
    I have seen two other examples like mine, both, incidentally, for 1st Division. I have many CDVs with soldiers wearing the badge, but I have never (that I remember) seen a cloth example.
    Thank you for the interest.
    Mark Warren
    Hairy Nation
    Bloomfield, Iowa
    Add two more examples of this style to the list. One used to be in the GAR Hall in Rockford, Illinois (possibly now at Midway Village) and one I used to own and had to sell (Damn divorces!). Mine was painted for the 4th Division.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Just resurrecting this thread to add one of my own...CDV of A. O. McKee (no relation) Company A, 116th Illinois. Metal corps badge on hat.
      Also nice cut-down collar on frock, civilian vest and striped or corduroy trousers.

Paul McKee
      Attached Files
      Paul McKee

Comment

An interesting thread on the XV Corps badge. I particularly enjoy seeing images showing Corps badges being worn.

The following XV Corps badge and CDV were recently sold. The CDV is an unidentified soldier from the 31st Iowa.
        Attached Files
        Respectfully Yours,

Robert Edwards

[I]"Sharpshooters, like fiddlers, are born, not made." - - - - - Major General Ambrose P. Hill, CSA.[/I]

Comment

Did you find a Badge? I have a repro in Brass, I would think that you could paint it if you wanted to ??? PM me if interested.
          RM
          Rod Miller
          [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
          [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
          [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
          A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
          1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
          1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
          1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
          1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
          Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
          1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
          Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Working...
          X