XV Corp Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XV Corp Badge

Does anyone have a photo of an original or a well reproduced 15th army corp badge?

Thanks,
    Philip Brown

Re: XV Corp Badge

I don't recall any pictures of originals off hand, other than drawings. Just remember the 15th corp badge wasn't adopted until February of '65, so be mindful of your impression time/place.
    Last edited by thad gallagher; 01-15-2009, 12:27 PM. Reason: Can't type
    Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
    49th Ohio
    Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Thanks for the information, that is the exact time period I am going for.

Any more help would be appreciated.

-Philip Brown

Comment

Pards,
        I have one, but I've no time today to photograph & post it.
        I'll try to get it done over the weekend.
        Mark Warren
        Hairy Nation Boys
        [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
        "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
        Mark Warren
        Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

It's computer generated, but I was wondering which badge it was. A quick search popped it up.
          Last edited by Silas; 01-16-2009, 12:47 AM. Reason: Added a little detail.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Philip,
            Some visuals for you.
            The first is an unidentified CDV of a Indiana soldier with a spiffy tie wearing a large 15th Corps badge plus an id pin. Late war indeed.
            Second, a round 15th Corps badge, an inch across, with pin-back. 40 rounds, US, engraved.
            Third, a rather heavy 15th Corps badge, real silver with a black velvet insert. Possibly officer material. 2 1/2 inches tip to tip on the diagonal.
            Fourth and last, a stamped version, 2 1/4 inches tip to tip.
            Hope this is what you sought.
            Steve Sullivan
            Attached Files

Comment

Being a bit of a nut about corps badges, thanks for posting those photos. Some mighty fine originals you have, I just love the one with the blue velvet background. Thanks again for sharing.

Regards,
              -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
              93rd New York Coffee Cooler
              [I]
              "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
              [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

My old pard Steve called about this post, so I dug my 15th Corps slouch hat out of the closet and took some quick snapshots. This one turned up at a Minneapolis estate sale in 1990 for next to nothing, and I am the second owner after the family. Because of the badge, I feel it probably belonged to a member of the veteran 4th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. Sure with I had the family name because this hat saw some serious service in the south!
                The stamped metal badge is attached with a piece of linen tape and we have never removed it. There appears to be a maker mark in tiny letters in the center of the reverse but we've never tried to read it for fear of damaging the hat or the tie. The hat has a the remains of a maroon silk lining with an eagle and US Regulation lettered around it.
                (Those of us who sometimes portray officers in the 1st Minnesota have replicated the hat and the lining as it might have originally looked - photo posted.)
                Stephen Osman
                Attached Files

Comment

And just to show the other side of the coin.
                  The attached were purchased from, dare I say it, eBay. All three were purchased at different times from the same dealer in St. Louis, Missouri. They are baked enamel on copper. They are two inches, tip to tip, and have holes for sewing.
                  I have never seen these elsewhere, not as a dug item, nor at militaria shows over the years, but they still pop up on eBay, along with some 6th Corps crosses. I have doubts, but felt the general public could benefit from the posting of the images.
                  Steve Sullivan
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the great information thus far. Has anyone heard of an original being made from cloth? Or are all existing originals made from a metal material of various types?

thanks,
                    Philip Brown

Comment

Strictly conjecture here, but I would think the main issue of a cloth badge for the XV would be getting the "Fourty Rounds" and cartridge box on it so it would stay.
                      Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                      49th Ohio
                      Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Originally posted by thad gallagher View Post
                        Strictly conjecture here, but I would think the main issue of a cloth badge for the XV would be getting the "Fourty Rounds" and cartridge box on it so it would stay.
                        Thad, If you had a miniature cartridge box, be it a casting or one that was stamped in metal with wire soldered onto the back of it, those wires could be poked through a colored cloth badge and folded over. It's a complicated design given that most other Corps badges were just shapes minus any other details. I'd be much more comfortable with more solid information verses conjecture.~Gary
                        Gary Dombrowski
                        [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Suggest you get a look at "Civil War Corps Badges and Other Related Awards, Badges, Medals of the Period" by Stanley Phillips. It has six different types of XV corps badges pictured. The cloth one is made of red and black cloth with a braided border. Looks like a red background with the cartridge box cut out of black and sewn onto the background. The area of the US plate is cut out of the box and shows the background color. No text is present. Of course there is a silver one which is engraved with the box and "40 rounds". Good luck finding the book. It has been out of print for years and I don't think it has been reprinted.
                          Jim Mayo
                          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Pards,
                            Attached are pics of my 15th Corps Badge. It was worn by Adj. Jerret Garner of 25th Iowa. Garner originally enlisted as a private in Co. F, but was promoted to Commissary Sgt. before finally making adjutant.
                            Sorry pics are not better.
                            Badge is 2 1/4 inches. Sheet brass is stamped, but cartridge badge flap is a separate piece. Black paint (box) and gold lettering appear to be baked on. Red (orange) appears to have been applied as per a different technique. That makes sense to me. A sutler or company agent could have multiple 15th Corps examples for sale, and then custom paint the division color himself to suit the buyer.
                            This example is hallmarked "Tiffany" of New York City.
                            I have seen two other examples like mine, both, incidentally, for 1st Division. I have many CDVs with soldiers wearing the badge, but I have never (that I remember) seen a cloth example.
                            Thank you for the interest.
                            Mark Warren
                            Hairy Nation
                            Bloomfield, Iowa
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Chihuahua; 01-17-2009, 01:33 PM. Reason: forgot something
                            [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
                            "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
                            Mark Warren
                            Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

Thank you both Mr. Mayo and Mr. Warren for the recent input. I went in search of the book and the cheapest I could find the book was 325 dollars. This is not in my price range at this point in time. I am interested in making a small run of these badges in some form. Obviously the cloth badge would be the easiest way to go. I am looking into reproducing a sheet brass copy of this badge but before I dive headlong into that project I would like to be able to see an original cloth version of this badge. Having said that if anyone has this book and could email a picture of the badge I would be most appreciative. Or if any newcomers to this thread has a photo of a cloth original I would appreciate that as well. Again, thank you so much for all your help thus far with this project.

thanks,
                              Philip Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X