XV Corp Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: XV Corp Badge

These Fifteenth Corps repro badges have been around for a while and are still available: http://fcsutler.com/fcinsignia.asp
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thank you for this lead I will have to contact fall creek to make some inquiries over this badge. I am still interested in the cloth example of this badge.

thanks,
      Philip Brown

Comment

Mr. Mayo has mentioned just about the only cloth example I have seen, in Stan Phillips' book. The photo is VERY fuzzy, and not worth the $325.00 you mentioned as a current price.
        The 15th Corps badge is very late war, and most soldiers of that unit were stuck with back pay catching up with them, and time on their hands. Metal badges would have been preferred to the expediency of cloth.
        Most all sutlers today have the brass version of this badge, we used to get ours from S&S Firearms in New York.
        Steve Sullivan
        Last edited by rogue; 01-17-2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I have checked with s&s and they no longer have any of these available. The reason I am looking to produce my own is because of the amount of these that I would like to produce. At any rate, I would like to see any more available examples of this badge. I have learned a lot from this thread and I would love to continue learning about this badge.

thanks,
          Philip Brown

Comment

Here is a question........Mr. Warren's badge includes a separate piece (the cartridge box flap). Could it be possible that Mr. Osman and Mr. Warren have identical corp badges and that Mr. Osman's badge is simply missing the flap. This would explain the soldering on the front of Mr. Osman's badge.

Comment

Then perhaps you want to check this guy and see if he still carries them: http://www.umvmco.com/Insignia.htm
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Food for thought: How many of these are post-war creations made for reunions and parades?
                [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

I have considered this. And this is one of the reasons I am attempting to reproduce the corp badges of Mr. Osman and Mr. Warren. Mr. Osman displayed an original that was still attached to an obviously combat seasoned 1858 dress hat. Thanks for the input. If anyone else has any other 15th corp badge examples, I would love to see them.

thanks,
                  Philip Brown

Comment

Philip Brown of North Carolina,
                    Here are two more examples. They are presented without portfolio. I acquired them over decades of attending gun shows and flea markets. The smaller example has an obvious post-war pin attached. The larger shows no evidence of age. Both were purchased with no sharade of authenticity and are presented here as such. They measure about two inches tip to tip.
                    Steve Sullivan
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by rogue; 01-25-2009, 07:51 PM. Reason: photos got lost in cyber-space on the first try

Comment

There's the famous photo of the 7th Illinois Mounted Infantry color guard, all of whom are wearing the diamond-shaped metal "Forty Rounds" badge on their chests. I would guess it's a just-before-mustering-out image but can't say for sure. The sergeant major is carrying a cavalry saber, if memory serves.

"Forty Rounds" is still the motto of the 13th Infantry, who served in the 15th Corps for part of the war. By the way, isn't it an anachronism to use roman numerals when referring to Civil War corps ("XV," ect.)? Not trying to insult anyone, it's just that I've never seen the roman numerals used in a period document.
                      Last edited by FortyRounder; 01-28-2009, 06:35 PM.
                      Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

Come to think of it I haven't seen them used in any primary document. I think I have seen them on modern maps of troop movements which is where I began to learn about the 15th corp. If it is true that it is incorrect to use roman numerals when referring to the corp, that is very interesting.

-Philip Brown

Comment

My unit, the 20th South Carolina portays the 13th U.S. Regulars for our Federal impression. When you're fully indoctrinated as a member you're given the stamped brass XV Corps badge to wear on the left breast of your sack coat. We have a tailor in our unit that makes a nifty cloth Corps badge that we're given as well. it measures 2 " square, a white cloth field (2nd Division) with the black cartridge box. He hand stitches in "forty rounds" and an oval U.S. Then the cartridge box and the square is bordered with twisted brass or gold wire which he stitches in. He's very well researched in everything he makes so if he makes'em this way, it's cuz he's probrably seen or has an original that way. I don't believe he sells them and the only way I know of to get them is to join our unit! :tounge_sm
                          Pvt. Jeff Litchfield
                          22nd Mass. Vol. Infantry
                          20th South Carolina Vol. Infantry
                          "Death, or an Honorable Life" (Mass 43rd- The Tiger Regiment)

Comment

Another example that just popped up on ebay.
                            Attached Files
                            Mark Krausz
                            William L. Campbell
                            Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                            Old Northwest Volunteers
                            Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Mark,
                              The badge on the left is a watch fob, G.A.R. era, and the right side example is G.A.R. as well. Nice but way post-War veteran items.
                              S.Sullivan

Comment

In the case of roman numerals being used, I happened across a few cases in "Marching with Sherman", it is from the letters and campaign diaries of Henry Hitchcock (also on the Bummers '09 reading list). I have only seen roman numerals when he is refering to corps.

I thought it interesting how he denotes the division on the corp. He will write XV3, (15th Corp, 3rd Division) but the 3 appears more like an exponent, not sure how to do that in this format.
                                Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                                49th Ohio
                                Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Working...
                                X