Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Button CS Jacket

Hi,

I am looking for pictures of CS soldiers or civilians wearing this jacket. I have only seen one picture, and I would be very interested in seeing others. I have been told there are some from the Western and Trans-Mississippi Theater, I would be very interested in seeing these. Thanks

Andrew
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: 4-Button CS Jacket

Andrew,

I've decided that today I'm going to teach you to fish, and not just hand you one.

There is a tab in the top bar, third from the right entitled "search", and a quick typing in of "four button jacket" leads you to no less than 15 pages of threads with the phrase "four button jacket." Unfortunately, many of these are "for sale" threads, which probably have none of the information for which you are looking. But read on, there is hope! A quick clicking of "advanced search" will allow you to pick the exact sub folder through which you can search for your phrase. Since most likely what you are looking for is in the same sub-folder you have posted this query, let's click on "authenticity discussion" and viola! Five full pages of good stuff, just handed there to you and ready for reading! That's a great starting point and I know that there are at least three good pictures in those threads, maybe more!

Now that you've spent a good two hours looking through the threads on the AC, reading all the great information, and absorbing its meaning, it's time to broaden our search. Hey! Google has an "images" feature! Cool! It's not just for looking up the latest pictures of Scarlett Johansson, a quick typing in of "CS soldier", "confederate soldier", or even "civil war four button jacket" should give you hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of images to look through and maybe, just MAYBE there's a useful nugget in there somewhere (ah, the mantra of every researcher who spends ten hours of reading for every one sentence of usable text.)

Finally, on eBay people are selling hundreds of civil war images at any given time, and by using the "advanced search" function you can even search completed auctions for pictures of CS soldiers! By monitoring that site, you should be able to get several images, why, in just one year my partner was able to find me four unpublished images of four button jackets!

There is so much information out there, and by developing the skills to access it you give yourself a great gift, but it's not something someone can just hand to you.

Dan
    Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Dan,

Thank you.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Dan, in Webster's under the definition of a Gentleman, there is a picture of you...
        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Dan, thanks for posting.
          Andrew Grim
          The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
          x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
          Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
          Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Hi,

Dan, will do. Thanks for the post.

Andrew
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Monsieur Dan,
              Wonderful post... Many thanks...
              Bill Birney
              CR's
              William Birney
              Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
              Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Dan, Thank you!
                Last edited by Rob Murray; 01-19-2009, 10:20 PM.
                Rob Murray

Comment

I hope neck stocks are on the search engine. :)
                  Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
                  Terry Pratchett

Comment

Dan, you are the man. Nice post.

That reminds me, my fishing license needs a renewal.
                    Ley Watson
                    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Well I, for one, was hoping Mr. Kasmar's query might bring to light some newly discovered photo's of the 4 button jacket, or new research from more learned and recently joining members that might expand the base of knowledge already present in the archives of this board. Something new always seems to come from resurrecting old hackneyed subjects. One can safely bet that ain't gonna happen on this thread now.
                      Bob Williams
                      26th North Carolina Troops
                      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thank you

Mr. Wambaugh
                        [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

I'm with you Bob, It would be nice to here of NEW info if any one has any. I'm working on one of these jackets right now with Brandon Jolly.
                          John McClellan

Comment

Andrew,
                            In case you haven't seen it yet.....

I echo the thanks to Mr. Wambaugh....
                            I also echo the thoughts of Mr. Williams and add that if someone has something new or debatable please post...I think the discussion of these jackets (or any confederate jackets for that matter) can only strengthen our understanding and interpretations.

To the post...
                            Andrew be careful while researching pictures that what you are looking at is indeed a 4 button generic jacket. They DO show up out there but they are easily dismissed as a sack coat or a "jacket sent from home" copied from a civilian pattern modified/produced for military use (avoiding the "C-word"). If looking at written/recorded documentation, GOOD LUCK as i'm pretty sure they will not be refered to as "4-button generic confederate jacket"...looking for terms like "workman's jacket" may give you some clues but without seeing it would be very hard to be absolutely sure the jacket is what you're looking for.
                            Luke Gilly
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Hi,

Luke, thanks. I will add those terms to my search.

Andrew
                              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
                              X