Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tintypes

Hi all,
    This may be a stupid question as I'm not at all familiar with the tintype process and who would be the best photographer to visit. I am, however, used to seeing a lot of John Coffer tintypes and am very impressed with the results. I would like to get a picture of my girlfriend and I done but she does not reenact. I was hoping that somebody knew of a photographer that has outfits that could be worn if someone did not own one. I'd love to have Coffer do one, but I see that Camp Tintype is in NY, probably 6 hours from my home, which is a distance to travel for a tintype. Are there reputable photographers in Gettysburg that I could visit that might meet the considerations I need to keep in mind? Thank you all for your help. Take care.

Respectfully,
    Joseph Danner
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
    Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Tintypes

Joseph,

Rob Gibson's studio is located at Arbor House in Gettysburg. You might want to contact them for details and to ask questions to see if they fit what you are looking for in a period photographer.

Here are some things you might want to consider and ask about when talking to them:

The last time I was in to have a glass plate done I noticed a closet of dresses and uniforms that people could wear for a sitting. (I did not get a good look at these garments so I will not speculate as to their authenticity.)

About three years ago my pards and I had a tintype done by Gibson Studios and afterwards I discovered that they are using aluminum for their tintypes and not tin. That was three years ago so by now they might be using tin again.

I hope this helps.
    Matthew Semple

Comment

Rob Gibson does a good job....I'm just not sure of what he has as far as clothing is concerned. But He did a tintype of me some years back....One visitor to an event asked me where I found a tintyoe of someone who looked like me!

Pete Bedrossian
      150th NY/3rd NC
      [FONT="Georgia"]
      Pete Bedrossian
      150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
      [/FONT
      ]

Comment

Rob Gibson is excellent, I was there a few weeks ago to get two images made, and I also noticed the closet of clothing. I would also suggest calling in advance and setting up an appointment. If you need to see his work just check out the bully boys website, the main photo is one of his works.
        Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
        James A. Peifer
        Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

Joseph:

I have only had experience with Mr. Gibson in Gettysburg, but would highly recommend him. While I have not examined all of the gear in his closet, I have been "in the closet" and can tell you that he certainly has a lot of different outfits from which to choose. In my opinion he will be able to take care of your needs.

I recently had a photo done with my daughter, whom Mr. Gibson and his wife outfitted. I believe the results speak for themselves.

Mr. Gibson and his wife take plenty of time setting up the shot and making sure that everything is "right." I was impressed by their profesionalism and artistry. Again... He comes highly recommended.

--Jim
          Attached Files
          [FONT=microsoftsansserif][SIZE=2]James R. Pfeiffer

Comment

Thank you all very much for all of your help.

James, your picture is very impressive looking.

I contacted Mr. Gibson last night and he seems like he is the guy. He told me that he has a large assortment of period clothes and that it shouldn't be a problem.

Matthew, he did inform me that he still uses aluminum because it's the only way he can ensure that the tintype will last a lifetime. I guess that tiny will very quickly rust.

Another question, if I may, about how large are the tintypes?

Thank you all so much again for all of your help.

Respectfully,
            Joseph S. Danner
            Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Full-plate
              6½" x 8½"

Half-plate
              4 1/4" x 5½"

1/4 plate
              3 1/4" x 4 1/2"

1/6 plate
              2 1/4" x 3 1/4"

1/9 plate
              2" x 2 ½"

1/16 plate
              1 5/8" x 2 1/8"
              Last edited by -Jesse-; 01-21-2009, 02:44 PM.
              Jesse Parsons
              -37th Virginia Infantry-
              -Wampus Cats Mess-
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Mr Danner, one thing to remember: women's clothing of this period is highly individualized, so even if the photographer has *really* high quality repro dresses (at $300 to $400 each, most don't), they won't have the understructure that makes the dress look real: chemise, petticoats, corset, hoop, more petticoats; and may not have the ability to do hairstyles that are both period, and suited to the sitter's face.

If the goal is a picture of the two of you looking like you're from the past, then you'll need to do more than use the photographer's closet to dress your girlfriend... she'll look like an oddly-dressed modern woman without the full understructure, hairstyle, and a dress tailored to her figure.

Historically, photographers did have prop clothing--but women would be wearing it over their normal understructure, so it looked far different (better) than just tossing on some fun costume pieces over modern unders.
                Regards,
                Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Hello,

Mr. Gibson's work is impeccable and which is why he's one of the top practicing wet-plate artists. If you're looking for a studio experience with costumes. He's your man.

As a practicing wet-plate collodion artist, I would like to offer a differing opinion about the use of aluninum vs. properly japanned iron plates. A good many well-known, modern wet-plate practioners out there use aluminum "trophy plate". It is the same stuff used to engrave trophy name plates. It has a single side black finish on bright aluminum and it has a peel-back plastic coating that keeps the surface clean. It is purchased in large sheets and cut to size with a table-top paper shear.

I make my own jappaned plates and I can tell you its no small undertaking. I have to mix my own raw chemicals for the ashphaltum-based japan paint, cut the sheet iron stock to size, flow three to four coats of japan on each baking the plates between each coat. A real time consuming process. I do this for my working plates because I appreciate that it's far closer to period correct than trophy plate and I personally think the darks and shadows look better on the japanned plate.

A properly executed wet-plate collodion image on a properly japanned iron plate will last a lifetime (or more). The large amount of surviving extant tintypes bears record to that. IMHO the beautyof the trophy plate lies in its convenience. Buy it, cut it to size and when you're ready to make an image; just peel the plastic protective coating off and pour the plate.

The following are the period plate sizes:

Ninth Plate: 2" x 2 1/2"
                  Sixth Plate: 2 3/4" x 3 1/4"
                  Quarter Plate: 3 1/4" x 4 1/4"
                  Half Plate: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
                  Whole Plate: 6 1/2" x 8 1/2"
                  T. N. Harrington
                  Traveling Photographic Artist
                  Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
                  Winchester, Virginia

Comment

Jesse,

Your 6th, 1/4 and 1/2 plate sizes are incorrect. Please see my post above
                    T. N. Harrington
                    Traveling Photographic Artist
                    Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
                    Winchester, Virginia

Comment

Thanks for the correction.... :wink_smil
                      Jesse Parsons
                      -37th Virginia Infantry-
                      -Wampus Cats Mess-
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hey all,
                        My girlfriend and I went today to have the tintype done. It turned out great and I wanted to thank you all for your help and suggestions. Rob really took the time to show me the entire process and the source of his recipies and really just made sure that the picture turned out exactly as we had envisioned. Thank you all again.

Respectfully,
                        Joseph S. Danner
                        Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X