WTK: Peter Tait Frock Coats ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTK: Peter Tait Frock Coats ?

Question: Has anyone heard of Peter Tait supplying frock coats ? I have only read of contract jackets of the short/shell type variety. I am intrigued by the color he supplied...."Tait Dark Blue Grey Wool."

* I do understand his clothes were brought in illegally to the Confederacy by running the blockade.

Thank You.

Re: WTK: Peter Tait Frock Coats ?

While I'm not aware of any "tait" issued frocks, there are officer frock coats made out of the blue grey kersey. Also don't forget to sign your post pard.;)

Justin Welch
    33rd Virginia Co H

Comment

I am not aware of any Tait frocks being supplied or issued, as the contracts specifically called for jackets. Please also keep in mind that officers were required to purchase their own uniforms, so quite possibly could have had frocks made from the same or similar cloth to what Tait was using...Thanks.
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Although not pertaining to frock coats, it is intresting to note the different jackets that were made from blue grey kersey.There is a North Carolina depot, a Houston depot and of course a few richmond depots made out of the stuff.What's really cool is the broad spectrum that blue gray kersey was issued and was received through the blockades.Also too, there were blue gray kersey overcoats being imported to the state of Alabama in 1860.Officers did have to purchase their own uniforms, but also in the EOG arms and equipment of the confederacy, there is a tunic that was purchased in england when the gentleman Col. Edward C. Anderson of the 7th georgia calvarywas over purchasing items for the confederacy with Captain Caleb Huse.Long story short that stuff was everywhere! The person to really talk to about the english import items is Neil Rose though.

Justin Welch
        Last edited by cssharpshooter; 02-06-2009, 04:31 PM. Reason: add information

Comment

Although I've never seen or heard of any Peter Tait frocks, I have to put a plug in for the Civil War Historian magazine here. The September/October 2008 issue contains an article by David Burt that is one of the best studies I have ever read on the subject of Tait uniforms.

If you are interested, you can read it here: http://www.civilwarhistorian.com/pdf/Tait%204-5.pdf .

I highly recommend it!
          [I][COLOR="Navy"]Amber L. Clark[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Thank You Gents for the outstanding information. I think I am fascinated by the "Dark Blue Grey Wool" color. The "standard" grey on the field is something that I think is over-done.

I have done some reading of late of even NCO/Sergeants' purchasing some of their on clothing. If you think about it even in today's military environment, soldiers know what works and the things that don't....I have friends in the Sand-box that spend their own monies on gear and equipment that should be issued but for whatever reason, isn't...

The blockade runners must have brought in bolts of fabrics, not just the factory made items in various sizes for sale to the South. The soldier's with "means" could have easily had a shop make up clothing clothing to their liking.

I do wonder who would have had more leeway....the cavalry, infantry or perhaps the artillery guys.

Respectfully,

George T.
            Shreveport, LA.

Comment

Working...
            X