No announcement yet.

Who is the maker of this shelter half?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who is the maker of this shelter half?

Originally posted by FlaYankee View Post
    At one time or another Ross Lamoureaux was making some very nice shelter halves as well.
    Just my 0.2 pesos.
    kindest regards;
    The ones I make are all handsewn Type II's and a very few IIIa's, but my McComb stamp is slightly different upon closer inspection.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Is it 3 or 2 piece construction? What weave does the material have? The buttons look to me me like a Blockade Runner shelter half. They have the correct weight and handsewn grommets and button holes but the weave of the fabric is not twill weave nor plain weave. Actually it looks like the weave that was used on olive Bundeswehr jackets and trousers. I do not know the english expression for it.
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess
      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

That doesn't look like Haversack Depot's ropes to me......
        Could it be that someone stenciled the "stamp" on post purchase?
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Hi,

The shelter half is not like the ones offered by S&S Sutlery (I am not sure who makes the ones that they offer).
          Attached Files
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

S&S generally carried Doddingtons halves. However, he only made maybe a dozen per year, so Im sure they have other sources.
            There is a gent who made halves years ago from up north somewhere, Eric was his 1st name, just cannot think of his last name.
            Joseph Hofmann

Comment

I bought two shelter halves off of Andrew Doddington some years ago, one was a Hansell and other, I'm fairly sure, is a McComb, although I'm at school right now and can't run home to check.

Neil Randolph
              1st WV

Comment

Originally posted by J.H.Berger View Post
                Actually it looks like the weave that was used on olive Bundeswehr jackets and trousers. I do not know the english expression for it.
                Over here we call the stuff the old Bundeswehr cotton uniforms were made from "moleskin"....yet it is totally different from the other "moleskin", a fine flannely stuff you stick over blisters. Neither being made from the skin of the real "Maulwurf"

David Stone
                David Stone

Comment

No idea who made it. However, the light weight, twill weave and selvedge edges look like cotton duck - which would be the correct fabric for most Type IIa, IIb and IIIa halves. Also, it appears to be (from the shininess) manila rope vice hemp. Early specs called for Manilla (sic) rope.

In the long run, does it really matter who made it? It looks a lot better than the waterproofed canvas halves from the mainstream stores (nope, I won't call them sutlers)

Three piece or two piece? If it's three piece, is the center panel vertical or horizontal?
                  Jack Cox
                  Olathe Union Guard (Retired)
                  [I]Held Prisoner in Hampton Roads[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by J.H.Berger View Post
                    Is it 3 or 2 piece construction? What weave does the material have? The buttons look to me me like a Blockade Runner shelter half. They have the correct weight and handsewn grommets and button holes but the weave of the fabric is not twill weave nor plain weave. Actually it looks like the weave that was used on olive Bundeswehr jackets and trousers. I do not know the english expression for it.
                    I disagree. The underside of the fabric shows a definite twill. Just sayin'.
                    Jack Cox
                    Olathe Union Guard (Retired)
                    [I]Held Prisoner in Hampton Roads[/I]

Comment

Hard to tell without handling it, but I made quite a few halves with that type of McComb marking back in the early to mid 1990s. As Scott Cross indicated, when the shelter half study came out in the Company Wag it gave clear photos and illustrations of the various McComb markings. The double straight line marking was easier to reproduce than the one with curved lines. I generally use original bone buttons or the repop tine buttons if bone was not availible.

Mark Hubbs
                      Mark Hubbs
                      My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by fahnenschmied View Post
                        Over here we call the stuff the old Bundeswehr cotton uniforms were made from "moleskin"....yet it is totally different from the other "moleskin", a fine flannely stuff you stick over blisters. Neither being made from the skin of the real "Maulwurf"

David Stone
                        :):p:) Yes David, that is pretty much the weave used on BR shelter halves.

So let us have a detail picture of the weave. I have the feeling it is a BR half with post purchase attached stamp.
                        Jan H.Berger
                        Hornist

German Mess
                        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Working...
                        X