Need opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions please

Comrades, my pards and I are discussing what to layout for our small mess for early war Federal uniforms. Our aim is multifaceted- acheivable, affordable and accurate. So far we are discussing the standard color footmen's trowsers, forage caps, and a Schuylkill Arsenal style infantry jacket. We have chossen this due to the fact that Kentucky ordered and issued jackets (even into 1863) according to extant QM records, and the increasing number of soldiers we are seeing with variants of this jacket. One thing we are wondering, since there are no known surviving jackets around to view, if we should demand they be hand sewn since the SA jacket appearently was. I personally am for allowing machine work on this type jacket since at least one of the cities they were contracted from was known for it's use of sewing machines. Any opions pro or con on this issue. Also what would be a good early war knapsack for federal usage. Standard Double bag? We are actually considering hard packs since we know that Kentucky did posess them.

Re: Need opinions please

As far as the knapsack goes, the double bag was starting to be issued in 1862. I would suggest the Pre-war/early war Design that Missouri Boot and Shoe offers, the one with the wooden frame. All of the straps are copied from originals and it costs about $170. I myself have not used Missouri Boot and Shoe, but I've heard that they're one of the best around.

Hope this helps,
    Zach Whitlow
    [B]Zachary Whitlow[/B]
    Liberty Rifles

[I]"Though I weigh only 120 pounds, when I'm mad I weigh a ton."[/I] - Thomas Starr King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Badgett
      Comrades, my pards and I are discussing what to layout for our small mess for early war Federal uniforms. Our aim is multifaceted- acheivable, affordable and accurate. So far we are discussing the standard color footmen's trowsers, forage caps, and a Schuylkill Arsenal style infantry jacket. We have chossen this due to the fact that Kentucky ordered and issued jackets (even into 1863) according to extant QM records, and the increasing number of soldiers we are seeing with variants of this jacket. One thing we are wondering, since there are no known surviving jackets around to view, if we should demand they be hand sewn since the SA jacket appearently was. I personally am for allowing machine work on this type jacket since at least one of the cities they were contracted from was known for it's use of sewing machines. Any opions pro or con on this issue. Also what would be a good early war knapsack for federal usage. Standard Double bag? We are actually considering hard packs since we know that Kentucky did posess them.
      Clark,
      Do you live in KY? This may sound like a corny story, but a very good friend of mine's great aunt is in possession of almost 3 complete Fed uniforms that belonged to their ancestors. 3 brothers who i believe joined the 17th Ky inf. He showed me their pic, 2 in dress uniform and one in civie clothes (he was suppossed to have been wounded in Tn around 1863). All 3 were from Whitley County, Ky. I have tried to get access to take photos of the uniforms which according to him include: hats or caps (I don't know which), shirts, drawers, trowsers, coats (I don't know what) and one pair of shoes. She is leary of others and since her son has a substance abuse problem she has "locked the items away". I'll question him tonight and see what he remebers about any inspection marks or anything unusual. He is not a reenactor or any type of historian so his knowledge is limited.
      ewtaylor
      bluegrass rifles
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Yep right here in Louisville. It would be nice if this was true. If she really wanted the uniforms to stay safe, she could loan them to the Kentucky Historical Society. If you find out her name let me know, and I'll see if I can get someone that works for the KHS to talk to her about the valuable stuff she may have.

Comment

Clark,
          It's a myth that all the garments that came out of Schyulkill Arsenal were hand sewn. It's simply not true. I've examined several garments with "SA" marks that were heavily machine sewn. So, a machine sewn SA jacket is perfectly accurate.

Bear in mind too though, the government geared up it's clothing production very quickly and early war troops were wearing a variety of makers even in 1861. Just off the top of my head Hanford & Browning and William Deering had contracts and were making fatigue blouses and coats in 1861.

Best,

Comment

Working...
          X