49th Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49th Indiana Volunteer Infantry

I did a google search, I looked around the forums didn't see what I was looking for. I'm trying to find some war time images of the 49th indiana. Closest I've come is some officers, but I am mostly interested in the regular old privates. I took a look at the site of the 49th, but they only have post-war images of mostly officers again. If anyone has images they can share or links of useful information giving stats and such I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tyler Habig
    Tyler Habig
    49th Indiana Co. F
    [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

[I]Proud Descendent of:[/I]

[I][SIZE=3]Aaron T. Kinslow[/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=3]Co. D 6th Ky Reg Ky[/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=3]Vol C.S.A.[/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=3]Born Dec 17, 1842[/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=3]Died Jan 31, 1862[/SIZE][/I]
    Bummers
    Backwaters

Re: 49th Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Check the Army Heritage and Education Center, they have a very large collection of CW photographs. Here is the website: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.cfm

Hope that helps

Ryan Meyer
    Ryan Meyer
    Skulker's Mess (Germany)
    Keeper of that BOX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Ryan Meyer knows that of which he speaks. He's a premiere historian and researcher. I agree with his advice. It's a great resource. Also, try a different search engine than GOOGLE or YAHOO as these are geared much more towards mainstream advertising. For example, try www.dogpile.com
      John Marler
      Franklin, TN

Comment

Assorted pics. If this is what you are talking about, there are quite a few war time images of enlisted men also.

sigpic
        Grandad Wm. David Lee
        52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
        - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'll give Ryan's site a shot, and going back through the 49th's site I did find two wartime pics with uniforms visible.

Thanks,

Tyler Habig
          Tyler Habig
          49th Indiana Co. F
          [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

Bummers
          Backwaters

Comment

Looks like the dude that put together that site already hit up Carlisle Barracks (AHEC) I would still send them a request. Speaking of that, their on line research library is a bit confusing so I would just e-mail them and one of their archivist will look it up for you.

Another avenue you may want to try is to visit/contact any county historical societies from the counties the regiment came from and also hit the local town libraries to see if they have anything in their local history sections (some of them have small genealogy sections that can yield results). Specifically look for any county histories or town histories that have been published or done.

If you are trying to research material culture (uniforms and gear) I would plan a trip out to D.C. and hit the National Archives, tell them you want to see the regimental records for the 49th also the ordnance reports, in the regimental records you will find lists of items that soldiers were purchasing from the quartermaster and requests that the quartermaster was making for stuff. It is a bit random but well worth the trip ( I would plan on spending few days). Now this is going to show stuff post feb. 1862 typically, so if you are looking for early stuff I would concentrate on the state archives.
            In the ordnance reports you will find what types of arms they had on hand during different quarters of the year. Again I do believe these only cover the period after the federal government started outfitting units (post Feb. 1862) but it has been a while since I checked them out so I could be wrong.

Good luck

Ryan Meyer
            Ryan Meyer
            Skulker's Mess (Germany)
            Keeper of that BOX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Thanks Ryan I will definitely try those routes you recommended.

-Tyler
              Tyler Habig
              49th Indiana Co. F
              [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

Bummers
              Backwaters

Comment

A word of advice regarding the Army Heritage and Education center website. Only a small portion of their holdings are digitized.

If you live in the area I highly recommend a visit to the center itself. The staff is incredibly helpful.

I would also recommend contacting the Indiana State Archives.
                Kimberly Schwatka
                Independent Mess

Comment

Working...
                X