Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican War Haversack

Hi,

I am looking for the dimensions of the Mexican War pattern haversack. If at all possible, and would like them taken directly off a original. I have used the search function, but I found nothing. If there is already a thread on this, please let me know. Thanks

Andrew
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Mexican War Haversack

I would also be interested in the type of thread used. Linen, cotton, white, dyed etc. Thanks.
    Michael L. Martin, NWCWC, US Medical Dept.

Comment

Andrew,
      Any particular haversack you are looking for?
      The most commonly copied haversack is the one that most sutler row folks carry with the three button closure. I have access to one of these if you'd like me to draft you a pattern I'd be glad to.
      As far the as the thread I'm not sure....I believe it is a natural 100% cotton thread however, my material experties here certanly fall short of qualifying me to say that for certain. I have viewed one slightly post rev-war that was made from what was labeled as "hemp thread"....again I certainly would not qualify myself as an expert to determine for sure...but, there is someone that works there that can....I will shoot him a message and I'll send you his response by PM.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I am looking for the 3 button haversack. I have posted a picture of the style that I am looking for. Thanks

Andrew
        Attached Files
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,
          A very quick response from the keeper of the collection who wants to remain nameless.
          British issue haversacks were of linen material and linen thread and usually square ranging from 14" to 16". Most commonly however for Colonialist haversacks were home made ranging in size but most commonly was the 12x12 version used to reduce amount of fabric used and the weight. The haversack they have is of the homemade variety and is a 12 (top to bottom)x12.5width and is stitched with cotton thread....it has a 1 button closure and appears to be of cotton duct. Other than size, they really do not differ much from the construction of the Moses Alexander common to our period recronstructions.
          Sent you a PM with a little assurance on the source and a possible option for you.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

That sounds about right...At Fort Gibson (where I do most of my Mex War stuff) in the museum is an original ill have my friend who works there take the dimensions for ya...
            It looks to be about the same as the one Luke talks about.
            It also has three buttons.
            Travis Franklin
            "Patrick Fhailen"

The Missoura Shirkers
            4th Mo. Inf.

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

Comment

Hi,

Travis thanks!!!!!

Andrew
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Just checking if anyone has been able to get dimensions for the Mexican War haversack, or if anyone has one they would be willing to make some notes up on.
                Joseph Caridi
                Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

Working...
                X