Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Thompson

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a Mike Thompson. Early on when I first joined I purchased a federal double bag knapsack and the maker was listed as Mike Thompson. The former owner said that it had been "approved" by the Southern Guard. I had no idea what that meant at the time and still don't to this day. Just curious to see if anyone has had any experience with him and how his products compare to originals.\

Thank you,

Tyler Habig
    Last edited by sthabig; 02-25-2009, 02:59 PM.
    Tyler Habig
    49th Indiana Co. F
    [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

[I]Proud Descendent of:[/I]

[I][SIZE=3]Aaron T. Kinslow[/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=3]Co. D 6th Ky Reg Ky[/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=3]Vol C.S.A.[/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=3]Born Dec 17, 1842[/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=3]Died Jan 31, 1862[/SIZE][/I]
    Bummers
    Backwaters

Re: Mike Thompson

The guy that got me into this side of the curtain passed on his Mike Thompson double bag. After taking a look at several originals over the years I would say it is hard to find a repop that stacks up against this one. I only recently semi retired the bag in order to pick up one from the Wizard of Butler.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Mike was a talented guy who was a sgt with the 1st PA Reserves. He really knew his stuff and did tons of research on everything he made.

I got a double bag from him in 1993 and I just replaced it with a Tim Welch (LD Haning) bag.

I don't think Mike has done anything for the past 10 years.

The former owner said that it had been "approved" by the Southern Guard. I had no idea what that meant at the time and still don't to this day.
      Neither do I....
      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I'll vouch for Mike. As Chris already has said it's been awhile since Mike's produced anything. That said I've got a few of Mike's repops and I'd say they'll pass muster. Anytime , anyplace.
        Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys...I think its great that he is such a well respected man known for his goods. I had never heard of him until I bought his knapsack. The former owner said he had it for about 10 years I think.

Thanks,

Tyler Habig
          Tyler Habig
          49th Indiana Co. F
          [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

Bummers
          Backwaters

Comment

Since mike is no longer making knapsacks, who would you recommend to have the most period knapsack.
            8th GA
            Zachary Werner

Comment

Greetings,
              I was able to compare my Mike Thompson knapsack to an original a few years back and they compared very favorably. If you have an opportunity to acquire a used bag by this maker, definately jump on it.

Darrek Orwig

Comment

On the heels of one thread getting closed for asking a who-makes-the-best question comes another question of the same variety. A modicum of research on this forum - including a look at goods offered by the approved vendors - will reveal a satisfactory answer.

I hear the clicking sounds of Troy's fingers tapping a keyboard right now...
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Well fortunately this is not a question of who makes the best product this is an analysis of Mike Thompson and is no different than that of the previous thread "The Provisional Supply Company". Also this topic was "searched" and no threads pertaining to this specific topic came up. I don't believe there is a reason to close this thread because of what has been formerly stated. I did make a mistake of creating an earlier thread that was closed and properly so, but I don't believe it is necessary in this case.

Thank you,

Tyler Habig
                  Tyler Habig
                  49th Indiana Co. F
                  [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

Bummers
                  Backwaters

Comment

It was post #6 which caused my comment : "Since mike is no longer making knapsacks, who would you recommend to have the most period knapsack." This is a variation on the old - who makes the best - type of question.

I didn't and don't see a problem with the manner in which this thread was commenced.
                    Silas Tackitt,
                    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

My mistake,

I did not pay much attention to a post which did not pertain to my question.

My apologies,

Tyler Habig
                      Tyler Habig
                      49th Indiana Co. F
                      [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

Bummers
                      Backwaters

Comment

I am almost certain there were a few recent thompson bags hang in Spiros's shop last time I was there.
                        Eric Stephenson

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]The Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                        [URL="http://lodge245.doylestownmasons.org/"]Doylestown Masonic Lodge No. 245 Free and Accepted Masons[/URL]

"Captain Dike is in the hands of some brother Masons, and to the Order he owes his life." OR s.I v.II

Comment

sorry about the way my question was worded. i ment to say, does anybody have good recommendations for double bag knapsacks that they were really happy with? i have a 10 year old jarnigan knapsack that i bought from someone cheap when i got into the hobby. i know that good knapsacks are not cheap and i want to spend my money wisely. i want to make the best decision. any help would be appreciated. i apologize for any problems that this questioned created i will be more careful to the wording of questions next time. thanks!
                          8th GA
                          Zachary Werner

Comment

Mr. Werner,
                            I'd suggest just going to the "approved vendor" page and looking at all the vendors. I do this in my "spare time" (which is French for "work"). I have been trying to "do it right" for over 10 years, and have my 3 basic kits squared away, but you never know when a sale or new item might come up on a vendors website. Quality vendors will often times post pictures of their item right next to an original. These are excellent tools.
                            Bryant Roberts
                            Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                            palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Ok,

I think its great that people are out there trying to find accurate reproductions including myself...but just to prevent this thread from being closed down I will hope people will respect that I wish this to be strickly about Mike Thompson hence the title. Its true I made the same mistake in another thread, but I learn from my mistakes. I hope others can as well.

Please if anyone has any info on the "authenticity" of Mr. Thompson's workmanship please share.

Thank you,

Tyler Habig
                              Tyler Habig
                              49th Indiana Co. F
                              [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

Bummers