Ceramics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramics

There are several examples of saltglazed stoneware plates and low-walled bowls associated with North Carolina Confederates. The Mint Museum in Charlotte N.C. holds a beautiful example with a strong pedigree.

The Museum's artifact label reads:

>>>editorial warning! Please close your eyes during the following statement if you do not care for politics on the forum.

*** The museum presents the usual ''barefoot-starving-half-naked-rebel'' apologist's spin on the history of these examples.The label was no-doubt written by a U-Cal Berkely Museum Conservation under-grad intern for this ''New South'' collection. bgb,02/02/2004***

End of editorial, You may open your eyes now and read the above mentioned Mint Museum label.<<<

''In the early 1800s most families used metal plates and cups, mostly made from tin or pewter. Metal plates lasted longer, because they didn't break like pottery. During the Civil War most metal was needed for the war effort. The Union Blockade prevented metal items from being shipped into the South. So Southern potters made dishes for soldiers and civilians from clay. After the war people collected dirt dishes as souvenirs''

I believe, as do others, that this was just another example of the State using an abundant resource, not a last ditch effort to preserve tin so's to keep a'fiighten.

Well, now for my question. Does anybody else know of examples of ceramics being given to the soldiers of any state?

The Parrish Records of Saint James (Episcopal) Church in Wilmington NC mentions on several occasions that ''dishes'' were handed out to the soldiers in camp there. This refers to the very active Episcopal and Baptist home missions in the city and state.
    I can certainly see garrison (cool word) troops or those in camp or winter quarters with something of this nature.
    Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 02-02-2004, 11:32 PM.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)
Working...
X