1st & 2nd USSS Berdan Impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st & 2nd USSS Berdan Impression

I have a young man in my unit who interested in trying a Minnesota man in Berdans 1st & 2nd USSS. I have a couple titles that might be of use to him w/ heavy emphasis on Sword's excellent work. What I am looking for are any titles, websites, vendors, individuals etc who I might push him toward so he can do thing right.

My own lnowledge is far too concentrated on the western theatre to be much help to him.

BTW I already used the search function and intend to pass on a couple links to those threads. What I am most looking for is a collection of data I can give Blair to get him started on the research and purchasing of gear.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Re: 1st & 2nd USSS Berdan Impression

Try to find a copy of Berdan's United States Sharpshooters in the Army of the Potomac 1861-1865 By Capt. C.A. Stevens originally published in 1892. Morningside Press used to have reprints, not sure if they still do.
    Respectfully,
    -Kyle M. Stetz
    Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

The website www.berdansharpshooters.com has a great must-read list of literature as well as a pretty nice forum where one can find the answers he is looking for. They've also got a gallery of original images, relics, etc. The links section is good in that it provides websites for original U.S.S.S. after action reports, battlefield maps, and photo studies of the "sealed pattern" sharpshooter garments in the Smithsonian.

So your friend wants to portray a Minnesotan, huh? I've seen some very, very neat photos of Co. A 2nd U.S.S.S. soldiers (all Minnesotans). One grouping is a series of the same soldier, Private Thomas Reese, Co. A 2nd U.S.S.S., from 1861 to 1863. The other image I discovered by accident at the Mansfield Civil War show last year...it's Private Edwin Aldritt, same company, depicted in early 1863 wearing a cut-down frock coat, really nice hat, and fancy, tall riding boots.

Company A 2nd Regt. and Company L 1st Regt. were the only companies from Minnesota. While Company A served in the 2nd U.S.S.S. until the end of the war, Company L was only temporarily attached to the 1st U.S.S.S. for under a month while on the Peninsula in 1862. It was literally issued uniforms off the train in Washington, rushed to join the 1st U.S.S.S. in the field, issued Sharps rifles there, and then trained by Captain Edward Drew of Company G (Wisconsin) and his orderly.

If your friend has any questions about material culture, history, etc. in regards to the U.S. Sharpshooters he can post on the berdansharpshooters.com forum or contact me via e-mail. I'd be glad to discuss those things with him!
      Brian White
      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Johan;

I would encourage your young friend to travel to the State Archives in St. Paul. They have there a number of articles in their collections that he would find fascinating. The original Company books for Co. A-2nd USSS are there, which gives a complete muster in and out roll, promotion records, casualties, general orders, etc. The books are very large and on the first page is a notation reporting that the original books were lost during the 2nd Bull Run campaign when the trains were captured.

Also, have him look up the Josiah Cheney letters collection. Cheney served in Co. L. 1st USSS and has an extensive and detailed correspondence from muster in to out. Unfortunately, he did not serve more than a few months until discharged for illness. He later became Chief Librarian for the city of St. Paul.

Also have him check out the Shakopee Courier in the newspaper archives. It was published by Charles Augustus Stevens, formerly Captain of the Wisconsin Company 'G' 1st USSS, and later Minnesota real estate developer, and newspaper publisher.

Upon his return from Europe, after a successful post-War career as firearms inventor and helping the Russians develop their arms manufacturing capacity, Hiram Berdan attended USSS and other veteran reunions. Since no history of the USSS had been written, he sent out notices to solicit memoirs of the veterans who has served in the USSS-predominantly the 1st regiment. Berdan originally intended to write the history himself, but so many of the old vets recalled being 'humbugged' by him on so many occassions (including his compulsion for self promotion) they demanded another veteran undertake the project.

Around this time, Charles A. Stevens had published a short booklet about the 1st Regiment's service at Gettysburg--and he was subsequently elected to collect all of the accounts from the veterans and write the regimental history. Stevens did a remarkable job of interspercing numerous 'primary sources' accounts from muster in to muster out. In the Morningside edition of Berdan's Sharpshooters in the Army of the Potomac. Stewart Vogt has included a muster rolls of all the USSS companies. The 1893 editions of the Courier covers the death of Berdan, the publication of the regimental history and finally Stevens announcement to retire from publishing and the closing of the newspaper for good.

Wiley Sword's book is a nice 100 page introduction to the subject; but there are many other books that help give a basic understanding of the USSS service, arms and equipment used, etc. However, to limit oneself to publications is only scratcing the surface of this truly fascinating regiment. Unlike most state regiments, the USSS was made up of companies comprising the best marksmen 'from all the Loyal States'. To that effect, New York (Berdans birthplace and adulthood home); Michigan (Berdans boyhood home); each provided 4 companies; Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota all provided the remaining 14 companies.

I personally have found the original regimental/company records and official correspondence to be very useful-especially if you have an interest in Quartermaster (uniforms, camp and garrison equipment), Ordnance (Sharps rifles, bayonets, ammunition, etc) information--always a topic of spirited debate among the USSS researchers. However, the very best information comes from original letters and memoranda from the men themselves--for those of us who 'walk the walk' in the footsteps of these men on the same battlefields, there is no better way to appreciate the terrain and tactics employed.

Another excellent resource is talking with the guys who have been quietly studying the USSS for the past 10+ years. Brian is an outstanding resource for the visual archives of the USSS--he has networked with most of the 'best and brightest' collectors and has personally viewed images that have not been published or even identified before. Dan Wambaugh and Brian are also outstanding resources on uniforms used by the USSS. As Brian mentioned, the Co. 'C' 2nd USSS website is a good source of information. I would highly recommend if he has specific questions to use the forum; as this is the best way to obtain information from a wide range of researchers.

If your young friend is interested in falling in with a progressive unit of Sharpshooters, he is more than welcome to contact the Randolf Mess about upcoming events.

Bill Skillman
        Randolf Mess-USSS
        Last edited by NM1859; 02-28-2009, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Hallo!

Just a quick thanks for a nice set of replies on "things Berdan!"

Usually always, Berdan's Sharpshooters suffer greatly as the victim of some of the worst "specialty impressions" in the Civil War Community and carries a horrible reputation.

Curt
          Company "A," 1st USSS (LH)
          Company "C," 7th Ohio ICVSS
          Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 02-28-2009, 01:41 PM.
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
            Hallo!

Just a quick thanks for a nice set of replies on "things Berdan!"

Usually always, Berdan's Sharpshooter suffers greatly as the victim of some of the worst "specialty impressions" in the Civil War Community and carries a horrible reputation.

Curt
            Company "A," 1st USSS (LH)
            Company "C," 7th Ohio ICVSS
            Thank you sir; it's the reason I started this thread. The replies and PM's have been of excellent usefulness. Replies and assistance of the kind given is why the AC is THE premier site on the web for those who want to learn.
            Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
            SUVCW Camp 48
            American Legion Post 352
            [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
            X