Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War era Paleontology

Hello all,

I've been searching for a while for publications of dinosaurs during the war era, and have had very little luck. I've only been able to find trivial facts and dates, but nothing as far as how the general public viewed the discovery of these animals. I know that paleontology was a fairly new science at the time, but there were some very signifigant dinosaur discoveries in North America as early as the 1820's. I'm sure that the discovery of such mammoth sized bones would have caused quite a stir with the public, as did Charles Darwin's "Origin of the Species." I would think that dinosaurs would have found there way into many conversations and debates. If anyone can give me any information regarding this issue, I would be very greatful.

Regards,
    J. (Froggie) Hicks
    J. Hicks
    37th Tennessee Infantry Co. H

Re: Civil War era Paleontology

Hallo!

For a quickie start, I would suggust searching for the so-called "Bone Wars" between Edward Drinker Cope and Othniel Charles Marsh beginning in Haddonfield, N.J. in 1868.

Also going back in time, some of Thomas Jefferson's writings as well as the "Big Bone Lick" colonial discoveries in Kentucky.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
    X