Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Denim

Pards,

I was wondering what the use of Denim was in the Civil War period. Basically was there stuff made from what looks like modern blue jeans today, out there,
    Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
    Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Re: Use of Denim

Could you clarify the uses you're thinking of, specifically?
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Excellent question. There have been whole text books written about the history of denim. It's a fabric that in cotton and linen dates back to the early 17th century and in regular use by the 3rd quarter of the 18th century. Black denim in particular was a popular fabric for men's breeches during the American Revolution.

As for extant Civil War garments, I know of 4 issued garments (CS and US) that are either entirely made from denim, or employ denim as an interfacing or lining. There is a pair of well documented trowsers worn by a Confederate which was made from blue cotton denim with brown stitching...sound familiar? :)

There are countless civilian garments from the mid-19th century made from this fabric including sack coats, overalls, vests, dusters, trowsers and other items. It's no wonder that denim is king today given widespread usage of this fabric throughout our nation's history.

Again, this was a great question!
      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I have talked with several folks about period denim, and some say that period denim would not have the white specks in it like our modern denim becouse of the way it was weaved and or dyed? IF... that is the case can someone with more experience chime in on this and explain it better.
        Thanks
        John McClellan
        Fowlers Battery
        Last edited by John McClellan; 03-01-2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Here is an older link ( http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=13258 ) where some of these issues were discussed in regards to denim. I enjoy the topic myself.
          Cheers
          Greg S Barnett
          Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
          ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Thanks Greg I missed that one, there is some good information in that post!
            John McClellan

Comment

This pre-dates our area of interest by a couple of decades, but here are some photos of a late 1830's tailcoat made of denim. The man that this coat belonged to died in 1835. As you can see from the first photo, the denim looks very similar to modern denim.
              Attached Files
              Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
              Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Rocky,

Since Ben The Possum King Thomas is never on line anymore, having been swallowed up by school teaching, another darlingbabygirl, and grad school, you might try to hunt him up at some local event--or head up the road from your place--its not that far.

Some good while back, this Ben got together with either Ben Tart or Charlie Chillds and worked out a run of a particular blue denim cotton documented to the Hilliby True Blues. Nice stuff, and like so many things, there is not any more of it, as Benjamin made up a dozen or so pair of trousers until he was more than about sick of the job.

This particular demin was, as I recall, a white warp and an indigo weft, with a bit of an unbalanced twill.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thanks for posting those pics Cody, it sure does look like our modern denim!
                  John McClellan
                  Fowlers Battery

Comment

Greetings,
                    I would steer clear of modern "white back denim," it is my understanding that it did not become common until the early 20th century. Instead I would recommend a yarn dyed or indigo piece dyed denim. In the past I've had success finding modern yarn dyed denim at larger fabric stores both local and online that compare favorably to the fabric of original denim garments I've viewed.

Darrek Orwig

Comment

Citizen soldier,

Could you post the links to these sites that have this fabric you speak of?

Ya, Mrs. Lawson, I spoke up too late for Ben Thomas's run of trousers, ugh!

Thanks ya'll!
                      Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
                      Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Comment

The pants Ben had the run made out were not denim, but rather indigo dyed cotton jean (a good bit heavier than denim) and were put together in reference to the 1st Florida documentation of "collars with blue cuffs and collars and blue pants" that came out before the Chickamauga campaign. Nice stuff, Ben hasn't done it in a long time, and I'm pretty sure we'll never see that dark indigo blue on brown cotton jean FHW made long long ago!
                        Patrick Landrum
                        Independent Rifles

Comment

I'll second that on the dark indigo on brown cotton jean. i was lucky enough to buy some and have some pants made. Lee White has a couple references on it I think.The fellow who made them said there was enough left over for a vest or 2, and I traded it to him for a BGK kepi. Love the pants and use em every time I get the chance

and Wash Ives was 4th Florida (soon to be consolidated with the 1st Fla Cav dsmnted). The 1st and 3rd Fl inf consolidated after Perryville.

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                          The pants Ben had the run made out were not denim, but rather indigo dyed cotton jean (a good bit heavier than denim) and were put together in reference to the 1st Florida documentation of "collars with blue cuffs and collars and blue pants" that came out before the Chickamauga campaign. Nice stuff, Ben hasn't done it in a long time, and I'm pretty sure we'll never see that dark indigo blue on brown cotton jean FHW made long long ago!
                          Bryant Roberts
                          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                          palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post

Is the AOT soldier manequin in the Vistors Center dressed in those trousers ?

I think "he" is.

Comment

Yes I believe it is...I have a picture of it at home....if no one confirms I will post this evening.
                              Luke Gilly
                              Breckinridge Greys
                              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
                              X