Federal Uniform Kit makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Uniform Kit makers

Please help me out everybody. A friend of mine purchased a sack coat and trouser kit from Charlie Childs thinking that he could make them. Upon receiving them, he realized he was way over his head.

I would put it together for him, but it would take me forever and/or I would have to charge my own friend. Does anybody know of somebody who could put together these kits?

Please let me know so I can pass it along to my friend. Thanks.

Re: Federal Uniform Kit makers

Glengary might be close to you in California:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/ndownie/

I can't say I know them well but they seem to know what they are talking about via email and have a pretty decent website. They are a recent addition to our Approved Vendor list.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

This is a problem many novices run into with kits from County Cloth, while they material and patterns for the kit are the best in the world, that alone doesn't guarantee a proper period garment. Construction is just as important!

Many have stumbled down this path before - -

I would suggest though one easy and possible quick turn around is with:

Eileen Herr
      CWSeamstrs@aol.com

Quality work from what I have seen. Better than most.

And I'll echo Bob's comments below, Randy Pierson does a great job. He learned from one of the 'masters' in the hobby and is very good.

Good luck!
      Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 02-03-2004, 11:02 AM.
      Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
      – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Pat

Contact Randy Pierson, RPierson@yahoo.com . He he is as good as you can get.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I agree with Ryan on this one. Eileen Herr does great work and she has many years of experience putting together Chas. Childs kits.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
          Cincinnati

Comment

Yes, Eileen Herr does excellent work - can't go wrong with sending kits her way.
            Paul Calloway
            Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
            Proud Member of the GHTI
            Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
            Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainUCSB
              Please help me out everybody. A friend of mine purchased a sack coat and trouser kit from Charlie Childs thinking that he could make them. Upon receiving them, he realized he was way over his head.

I would put it together for him, but it would take me forever and/or I would have to charge my own friend. Does anybody know of somebody who could put together these kits?

Please let me know so I can pass it along to my friend. Thanks.
              Contact Childs, there are a number of folks that assemble his kits. I can't remember the full name of the lady (first name Libby). She was to assemble a Childs frock coat kit for $125. this was a couple of years ago but might be worth a shot. I assume she has done quite a few of his kits as Libby instructed me to tell Charley to send it directly to her.
              Robert Myers
              ms39inf@aol.com

Comment

Thanks, guys.

I tried to tell the kid...get it from a vendor unless you know what you are doing. I guess he had to learn the hard way. Thanks again.

Comment

Patrick,

For my $.02 worth, any of the previously referenced sources would be excellent choices for assembling these kits. Folks who are familiar with these specific kits would be obvious choices due to familiarity. Paul tossed out my firm earlier and I would be happy to put these together for you, having had experience with C.C. kits, patterns, material, etc., etc. My focus presently in on uniforms of the southern armies, but I have done northern garments as well.
                  Another option - and this is not to take anything away from the vendors/seamstress’s/tailor's/tinker's out there, for I am one - would be for your mentee (see: purchaser of kits against advice) to bite the bullet and sew these himself, with leadership & guidance. If the individual in question lives in the Santa Barbara County area I would be happy to assist. If he has zero experience with sewing technique, patterns and fitting he picked a challenging first effort (hence 'over my head', no doubt). But, if this guy wants to learn I would be glad to work with him to assemble an authentically constructed garment.
                  If interested send me a note and we'll discuss. Whatever direction you choose there are plenty of qualified, reasonable and truly good people out there who will do you right.
                  Regards,
                  Gordon Downie
                  [URL=http://mysite.verizon.net/ndownie/]Glengary Clothing Depot[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                  X