Source for authentic lanterns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for authentic lanterns?

Otter Creek Tinware is apparently not taking any new orders for their "Hunley"-type lanterns (or anything else, for that matter). Is anyone else selling period-correct reproduction lanterns (oil or candle)? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the ubiquitous pierced-tin and wood-and-glass lanterns are too "Colonial" or "Buckskinner"-ish to be authentic. Bare candles have their place, but sometimes it's nice to have something that's a bit more wind (not to mention fire-hazard) resistant.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Source for authentic lanterns?

Village tinsmith makes a very nice "personal" lantern.

Comment

Got a URL?

Comment

Comment

Hello,
          Once again, may I suggest you check out the approved vendors on this site?

Just call me Crabby,
          Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
          John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Actually pierced tin lanterns seem to have been produced to some degree through the entire 19th C. The Arabia has the top cone of one from the excavation that was probably personal use not shipping stock.

Pat Cunningham

Comment

Thanks, Pat! Maybe I'll buy one of yours via Ezra Barnhouse, then. I actually like the idea of the pierced tin lanterns better than glass-sided ones for a campaign, as it seems they'd be less fragile, but the only places I've seen them before are at historic sites from much earlier (i.e., Colonial Williamsburg or Old Sturbridge Village), or buckskinner events, and I thought they'd be "farby" in an encampment.

Comment

Third try.
                The pierced or wooden lamp is not an option on campaign. Most soldiers would opt for the bayonet or patent holders or just the melted end of a candle stuck to a biscuit box.Worried about wax in the morning then plunder a southern mansion for their candle stick finials.
                If you have the income then a travelling candle stick set. I own a nice Olive wood set with a lovely minaret shaped snuffer and a nice brass repro set bought in Gettysburg.
                They do the job quite nicely.
                Still not good enough? Take an empty period style wine bottle, figure out your candle height and fill witrh water to that point, heat in an open fire and then tie a string around the marked height. Draw the string tight and it should break at that height. Better yet do this at home with a glass cutter. Be sure to rub the cut edge in sand to take off the edge. Lots of bottles around the officers' quarters as we all know.
                If you wish to go the personal latern route, then there are two points I must say.
                I bought a personal lantern from C.J. Daley that matched a period lantern that I owned.
                The differences are 1/2" in two of the three dimensions.
                The primary differences are the lense and the air holes.
                The air holes give too much and cause period style candles too burn too fast. The hole on the period lamp creates a slower burn time ande less wax residue.
                The other factor is the glass.
                Glass does not work except at Divisional Command or higher.
                My original lamp uses mica or Issenglass, a natural mineral easily seperated into translucent sheets, as the lense.
                I have picked up my lenses from natural rock on the Canadian shield. They served 15 years. The glass in the repro 1 year.
                Can't go north then go to Lee Valley Tools, buy their 1906 patent lamp, throw away the lamp and carefully cut the lense to fit you personal lantern. Let there be light without the impedements.

Erik Simundson
                Erik Simundson

Comment

I just received my "artillery lantern", with an isinglass window, from Otter Creek Tinware. It looks great!

Now, where can I find period candles? Right now, I'm using half of a Wal-Mart $0.88 candle. They work, but they burn up rather quickly. I think they're straight paraffin.

Comment

Now that you have the lantern, what to burn in it?
                    There was a series of posts this past year about candles. You should search for it as it is quite informative.
                    Bee's wax was probably too expensive.
                    Tallow messy if you can get them.
                    Whale products, probably not.
                    Stearine candles as stated by Mr Hicks can be had (I believe from IKEA). May be wrong in this. Check the previous posts.
                    Parrafin was available from the 1850's and readily by 1859.
                    Reference can be made to a small booklet entitled "Candle Lighting" by David J. Eveleigh, printed by Shire books, ISBN 0 7478 0574 1, published 2003.
                    It is a wealth of information in a small tome.
                    You will see that it is all about air and wicks as much as about wax.
                    Lighting was not a given during our period as it is in modern times with the flick of a switch or clap your hands. It was real work, but part of life.
                    Part of the enjoyment is writng and reading with candle light, trimming the wick, replacing candles and cleaning up the wax.
                    If it had been easy who would care about Edison's invention?
                    These candles have been around for 2000 years and are an easy avenue when immersing.
                    Search the posts.

Erik Simundson
                    Erik Simundson

Comment

Working...
                    X