Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteen Half

hi pards,

Im just wondering if it would be authentic for me to tie my canteen half to my canteen? Im asking this because ive been looking at pictures of soldiers and cant find one with a half tied on. Any info would be great!!!!
    Thanks

see you on the march
    see you in the mud
    see you when i die
    Waylon Pashong
    hardtack61

For one to be authentic, One has to ask others

I'll tetch 'em together quicker'n lightnin,if I don't, dad burn

Re: Canteen Half

I've seen this done poorly so much by reenactors in the past. Most of the time you see the half straped on with about 18 yards to latigo or string and it looks silly.

I say just carry it in your haversack or knapsack.

IF you have qualms about doing that because it will dirty the item you are carrying it in - well - THEN CLEAN THE HALF before you pack it away!

My advice, stay away from that practice until you can document it through a photo or written account.
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Comment

This question pops up on the forums every once in a while, for what reasons, I have no idea.... My question is, why strap it on your canteen if you have other better places to put it?

Maybe it's not well documented because quite simply, it takes too much time and effort to strap a canteen half on the canteen when a soldier can just throw it in his haversack. Aslo IMHO, I truley believe any GOOD officer or NCO would not allow such a thing to take place. Canteen halfs used as frying pans don't go there because it may mess up your canteen in the long run. (Plus you'll look like a mainstreamer...... you don't want that look do you?)

I'm sure I'll see some argument..... have at it. :D
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
      Cincinnati

Comment

Thanks for the info guys it will help out alot!!! I like asking about these things before i go out and do it!

hardtack61

For one to be authentic, One has to ask others

I'll tetch 'em together quicker'n lightnin,if I don't, dad burn

Comment

I've said this before on the old forum, but since those threads are gone, here goes again . . .

I reenacted for several years in the early 1980's and NEVER saw a canteen half strapped to a canteen. Since starting up again in the late 1990's, seems I see them everywhere I go. Since I have never seen a period photograph, drawing, or reference to this practice, I have to assume that it was initiated by some reenactor -- quite possibly a dismounted cavalryman -- sometime between 1984 and 1998.
          Bill Reagan
          23rd Reg't
          Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtack61
            I like asking about these things before i go out and do it!

I wish every reenactor had your attitude, the authenticity level would take off like a Patriot Missle. Even the experienced guys have a question once in awhile. Unfortunately most don't bother, don't care and they get really steamed if you do. The "my impression is flawless, so I don't need anyones advice" problem.
            Gregory Deese
            Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
            "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

I used to do this back in the early 1990s but I stopped because I have never seen a photo of it being done. I dont know if it wasnt done, but I could not prove to myself that it was done.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Some good points are raised in this thread, and I remember it was covered extensively back on the old board. Even with three days' rations, I still do my best to fit all my mess gear (especially my nasty, soot and grease-blackened canteen half) inside my haversack. The last thing I would want is a filthy piece of sooty tin where it can rub against my body, clothing, and other pieces of my equipment. I often get dirty enough as it is! ;)
                [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Peter N. Olsen[/FONT]

Comment

This thought on the use of canteen halves in general. Although this practice may be documented, I feel it is now over-represented in our time. How many reenactors do we see now using canteen halves in place of plates, cups, and skillets and shovels? One has to ask...where does a canteen half come from? Some may have been produced as canteen halves, but if indeed they came from actual canteens...this is a whole different question...just food for thought...

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                  Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                  (Loblolly Mess)
                  [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Could todays carrying of canteen halves be because they are readliy available? Back in the 80s and early 90s nobody was selling them. If you wanted one you had to melt a canteen into. Now a few bucks will outfit even the novice with an authentic canteen half that can be lashed with lengths of rawhide, to the canteen.

Until I see a period picture of a Union soldier carrying one I say they were a camp item. Never heard of any found except in long term or winter camps.
                    Jim Mayo
                    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox
                      One has to ask...where does a canteen half come from? Some may have been produced as canteen halves, but if indeed they came from actual canteens...this is a whole different question...just food for thought...

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      This was a common CW practice that I believe was mentioned by Billings, taking old canteens and throwing them into the fire to melt the seems and split the canteen in two. Thereby creating two halves to be used as plates.
                      Bob Clayton
                      [url=http://www.sykesregulars.org]Co. C, 2nd U.S. Infantry, "Sykes Regulars"[/url]
                      Honoring the proud history and traditions of the U.S. Army
                      [url=http://home.comcast.net/~coffeeboiler/sykes_pics.htm]Photo Gallery[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by coffee boiler
                        This was a common CW practice that I believe was mentioned by Billings, taking old canteens and throwing them into the fire to melt the seems and split the canteen in two. Thereby creating two halves to be used as plates.
                        I've seen a number of such references to the practice. They were lighter to carry than skillets, and easily replaced.

As for carrying them strapped to the canteen: that appears to be a reenactor practice, as far as I can tell.

An additional question for the thread: when using a canteen half as plate/skillet, what's the best design for a handle (wood, I'd assume) to keep it from tipping over or falling into the fire?
                        Bernard Biederman
                        30th OVI
                        Co. B
                        Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                        Outpost III

Comment

Originally posted by flattop32355
                          when using a canteen half as plate/skillet, what's the best design for a handle (wood, I'd assume) to keep it from tipping over or falling into the fire?
                          You can use a split stick jammed around the edge of the half. Or you can use a fork in a similar manner.
                          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I've seen a photo of a man of the 1st MN carrying one on his canteen, it looked to be secured w/ either rawhide or twine. As I understand it that was the documentation used by members of the 1st MN. I've also heard, but not seen it, of a photo showing a man of the 4th MN carying one in a similar fashion. That at least shows their usage was possible in both theatres of the War.

The practice seems to me to be a fairly simple field expedient. I can understand why there would be few photos of such a thing as men seemed to put their best face forward for photos... it wouldn't have looked pretty hanging off of their canteen.

What I did w/ mine was to fold the pair of sharp corners, from around the spout hole, over a small piece of chain. I then ran a piece of rawhide between the sling mounts on my canteen. My Sgt used a bit of wire instead of chain & rawhide. It rides securely and doesn't add any noticeable weight. Plus it leaves more room in my haversack for a jug of Johhnie Jump Up.

For what it's worth only two people in my Company carry a canteen half, so I don't think it's too over represented.
                            Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                            SUVCW Camp 48
                            American Legion Post 352
                            [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Gents... I think the consensus of this thread is clear:

If you use a canteen-half as a soldier utensil, it belongs with your other mess-furniture... in your haversack.

NS..

Bob.
                              [B]Robert Braun[/B]

<< Il nous faus de l'audace, encore l'audace, toujours l'audace! >>

Comment

Working...
                              X