CS Western Officer's Impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Western Officer's Impression

I will try this again, I am looking for direction to sources on what weapons and equipment a Western CS Officer would have in the AOT between early 1862 and late 1864. Any and all assistance will be much appreciated. Thanks guys. Sincerely,Clifford Earl Hyde

Re: CS Western Officer's Impression

Try some books such as Echoes of Glory that show original equipment and in many cases who used it.
    Jake Koch
    The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
    https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
    -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
    -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Hyde,
      I've never aspired to rank, but I'd recommend dropping a note to Pat Craddock. I'm sure he has some useful information, seein' as he has done some officerin' for us western boys from time to time.....
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Hyde,
        Also, there is this great post from Tom Ezell. This is more slanted to the ANV, but very good info.

Bryant Roberts
        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Try reading "Cadet Grey and Butternut Bown".While it speaks mostly of the private,it does speak a lot of CS officers.From all the accounts I have read,the western junior officers did not look all too different from the privates.Mind you,this does not speak of the type of gear they would have carried.I would assume there would be a decent amount of Federal gear and private purchase gear being used.But as Floridaconscript suggested,contact Patrick Craddock.He will be able to help you.
          Cullen Smith
          South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

As a graduate of the Pat Craddock School of Building an officer's impression, I can tell you that he'll supply a path for you to search, and not spoon feed information. Great teacher, great wealth of knowledge too! But researching the impression is half the joy in building it.
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

Thank you Men for the fine advice you've given me,but having read Mr. Ezell's article and having given some thought to the matter,i seem to realize that i'm probably not ready to persue such an impression. My present budget won't allow for the purchases of the proper accoutrements and Uniform items and i am not quite prepared to function on the field as i once thought. I appologize for wasting your valuable advice and time but i think maybe at least for the present,i should remain in my current position. again thank you all for your input. Sincerely,Clifford Earl Hyde

Comment

No time wasted! It sounds like you got information to help you make some decisions. Building up an officer impression takes some time, even if you know exactly what you want. Think of the time you'll spend putting it together as a bonus that will allow you to study the manuals and observe good officers around you.

Best of Luck!
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hyde,
                  just to echo Wickett, I'd view this as a turn of good fortune. Now you know what you are looking for. keep an eye on officers you admire, and a vigilant eye to the Buy Sell trade forums. In the past month doug cooper (i think) was offering up a fine deal on a CS officers uniform, and Greg Starbuck had a jam up sword for sale as well. Start now, a piece here and a piece there. good luck!
                  Bryant Roberts
                  Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

I put together an officer impression, 1st Lt. Co H, 21st Arkansas Infantry, for my narrative talks during our 147th Anniversary. I conducted my research to do the impression by looking through as many photographs of officers from the State of Arkansas, then by reading the letters of officers in the unit that I wanted to represent. I was able to piece together a fairly decent description of the items from the letters home and I was able to take that a step further by going through the photographs to determine the types of rank insignia used and the type of or amount of braid used. The other items I looked to were the weapons and acoutrements. I used items that would have been in the Memphis supply system or from Memphis, New Orleans or Baton Rouge.

I settled on a frock coat of tan satinet with blue collar and straight cuffs, no braid on the sleeves, a Memphis Novelty Works foot officer's sword and I was lucky enough to find an unfired 70's Uberti repro of the 48 baby dragoon with a 6" barrel and loading lever for my pistol. I made my own holster and after I recieved my saber belt, I overhauled it as well. I carried a civilian pattern haversack and a box frame knapsack of the type that came out of Baton Rouge early in the war. All in all it came out fairly well.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mslaird; 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM.
                    Matthew S. Laird
                    [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                    Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                    [/COLOR]
                    [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Nice work. What material are your trousers? Satinet also?
                      Jonathan Vaughan
                      14th Tennessee
                      3rd Missouri

Comment

Thank you for the compliment. I had some help with the initial construction of the frock as I was new to using a sewing machine. Rob Wiseman set the sleeves for me as I became a bit too frustrated with it as the pattern produced a surplus of material that was a bit too difficult for my low level of experience to deal with. I will get it down pat,though. This summer promises plenty of practice. The only machine sewn items were the long hidden seams. The rest was competely hand sewn. I made the entire kepi as well, it was my first one. The quatrefoil and braid were fun to sew.

My trousers for that uniform were not done yet and I had to resort to using my sky blue kersey trousers for the weekend as all of my other trousers are specific to certain units and I could not use them. Interestingly, the Lt that I created that impression to do a first person speaking part about, James M. Harrison, actually wrote to his mother in a letter about loosing his best pair of trousers when the regiment's baggage was overrun. He told his mother that he was wearing his old, thread bare trousers and that he had to purchase a pair of federal trousers from a sutler. He told his mother in his letter that he was satisfied with the trousers and they were as good as a pair of jeans. I am not finished transcribing the letters or I would directly quote them for you. They are on microfilm.
                        Last edited by mslaird; 03-20-2009, 12:49 AM. Reason: I noticed that I misspelled a word or I had a moment of flatulence of the brain
                        Matthew S. Laird
                        [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                        [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                        Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                        [/COLOR]
                        [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by mslaird View Post
                          He told his mother that he was wearing his old, thread pair trousers and that he had to purchase a pair of federal trousers from a sutler. He told his mother in his letter that he was satisfied with the trousers and they were as good as a pair of jeans. .

Now how often does that kind of luck come into play for having to use federal issue trousers? Boy, that worked out for you just right.
                          Preston Todd
                          Hard Case Boys
                          Top Rail Mess

Comment

Originally posted by mslaird View Post
                            Thank you for the compliment. I had some help with the initial construction of the frock as I was new to using a sewing machine. Rob Wiseman set the sleeves for me as I became a bit too frustrated with it as the pattern produced a surplus of material that was a bit too difficult for my low level of experience to deal with. I will get it down pat,though. This summer promises plenty of practice. The only machine sewn items were the long hidden seams. The rest was competely hand sewn. I made the entire kepi as well, it was my first one. The quatrefoil and braid were fun to sew.

My trousers for that uniform were not done yet and I had to resort to using my sky blue kersey trousers for the weekend as all of my other trousers are specific to certain units and I could not use them. Interestingly, the Lt that I created that impression to do a first person speaking part about, James M. Harrison, actually wrote to his mother in a letter about loosing his best pair of trousers when the regiment's baggage was overrun. He told his mother that he was wearing his old, thread pair trousers and that he had to purchase a pair of federal trousers from a sutler. He told his mother in his letter that he was satisfied with the trousers and they were as good as a pair of jeans. I am not finished transcribing the letters or I would directly quote them for you. They are on microfilm.
                            I'd like to continue this discussion with you over PM, because I'd be taking the thread off topic. But, I'd like to follow up on something you said.

Thanks.
                            Jonathan Vaughan
                            14th Tennessee
                            3rd Missouri

Comment

Hallo!

Just an aside...

Once Upon a Time, and in the Way Back Daze...

CS officer impressions were poorly researched and documented. As a result, there was an era of where lads nearly always had the bluish "cadet gray" fine wool broadcloth double breasted 1861 "fashion plate" type appearance. Followed by a seemingly reaction to where CW officers looked just like enlisted men and one could not tell them apart except for the presence of sword and revolver.

And in some US and CS segments further complicated by internal unit promotions, "brigade" office, and rank-specific impressions for event-specific impressions that led some lads to simply add "bars' to the enlistedman uniform.

In historic unit/time/place- not that either was not done historically, just applauding the Modern Era where lads are researching, documenting more, and nailing some good "officer impressions."

Curt
                              Curt Schmidt
                              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                              -Vastly Ignorant
                              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                              X