X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CS Western Officer's Impression

Brother Laird, nice jacket.

Break

Back a few years ago, there was an article in the Camp Chase that featured Nate Petersburg. They really did a great job with it, I thought.

Comment

Well, early on in this discussion i was reffered to Patrick Craddock and actually i read the artical he wrote in the CAMP CHASE on this subject and there was some great information but not enough though,but a fine article. Clifford Earl Hyde

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO, there is no "instant" or even "shake and bake" answer to the original inquiry that a few short posts can provide.

If I were to rewrite or rephrase things as:

"I am looking for direction to sources on what weapons and equipment an Eastern US Officer would have in the AOP between early 1862 and late
        1864."

The range of possibilities, options, and Period Correct plausible/possible choices that one can pull from is broad. Broad not only from the standpoint of material culture choices, but in the subtleties of senior commander dictums,
        amount of freedom and personal choice, the socio-economic background of the officer, whether the officer is a lieutenant or a colonel or a general, personal preferences and druthers, the lessons learned or unlearned in a garrison unit or a famous hard-marching, hard-fighting field unit, what hrsearch, documentation, in period accounts or photographs might say, etc., etc.,

Or at the end of the day, what a modern lad looking at a number of unrelated accounts and images of officers chooses to pick and choose, glean and gather, cull and harvest, to glue on his own Mental Picture of a Believeable Image that "works" for him and the pards he chums with for the unit, time, and place of his impression.
        ("Western" and "Eastern" cuts a wide swath...)

IMHO, sometimes learning the process of how to strive to work to "get there," can sometimes be of greater value than a "laundry list" of everything possible and remotely possible.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
        Sometimes accused of being or having been a US and CS company grade officer when he cannot avoid it Mess
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Clifford,
          I would suggest the same as Cullen "Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown", has quite a few exerpts on officer gear/uniforms. One exclaimed that by late War and officer's frockcoat cost about $ 350 and was impossible to get a good one! Many officer began to draw enlisted clothing and adapt with rank, braid, etc. Here is an example of my impression, wearing a mid-late war Mobile or Mystery jacket with shoulder straps. The kepi is a made by Starbuck of the New Orleans type by J.J. Albert who made caps to rival that of the French Imperial Guard! The sword-belt is a copy of Col. Beard's militia model, which is on display at the Mansfield Battlefield museum. It was made by Don Smith. Trousers are common civilian cut, made by Chris Daley. Waistcoat is 1840's-1850's "Hong-Kong" figured silk/cotton with padded chest. The padding and pearl buttons can be removed and vest laundered. (probably something you might not have seen it the field at this time). Boots are civilian style by Missouri Boot and Shoe. Notice Capt. Frazier's frock on the chair is a Little Rock depot pattern with braid on the collar. It looks like a Columbus Depot, but a frockcoat.
          Hope this helps,
          Attached Files
          Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
          16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
          Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Working...
          X