Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Confederate knapsack

Hello all,

I searched the forum and didn't exactly find what I was looking for, but I'm looking for a new knapsack that would be accurate for a western Confederate impression, particularly Trans-Mississippi Arkansas unit from Spring 1861 to 1863 Vicksburg. I was thinking of just getting a double federal knapsack, but wanted second opinions first. I currently have a very poorly crafted "Confederate knapsack" from Blockade runner that has fallen apart from only 4 to 5 uses.

Many thanks!
    Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
    Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
    Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
    Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
    Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
    Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
    sigpic

Re: Western Confederate knapsack

Andrew,

Were I in your shoes I would go with some style of Mexican war bag which were prolific in CS ranks throughout the war. I have viewed this reproduction personally, and feel that it is easily in the echelon of truly top quality knapsacks:

Hope this helps!

Best,
    Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Mr. Wambaugh,

Thank you!
      Andrew Gale

sigpic

Comment

Ditto Mr. Wambaugh. Generally speaking, federal battlefield pickup gear was not as prevalent West as it was East, partially due to the string of battlefield losses endured by Western and Trans-Mississippi Confederate forces.

As for reproductions of a Mexican War style variant, I would also recommend Mr. Don Smith of Trans-Mississippi Depot, from whom I am awaiting a repro of this pack.
        Jonathan Vaughan
        14th Tennessee
        3rd Missouri

Comment

I concur with the previous advice concerning the Mexican American War knapsacks...

I also offer this as it pertains directly to Arkansas troops in 1861,

There is a photograph in the Arkansas volume of Portraits of Conflict by Carl Moneyhon and Bobby Roberts on page 26 that depicts Company H of the 3rd Arkansas (state infantry) in Arkadelphia in 1861. I did not do an exact count but it appears as though all of the rankers have the plain all canvas militia knapsack as the canvas straps can plainly be seen over the acoutrements of the men in the photograph. Whether or not this was an item of issue for the Military Board for the state or if it was a private purchase of those that funded the raising of the company is not known to me but it would be a good place to start. There is a cleaner copy of this photograph in another book on uniforms, authored by an Englishman. I am not sure of the exact title of the book, however the copy that I have viewed is in the possession of Rob Wiseman, who can be contacted through this forum.

I believe that I have seen a reproduction of this variant of plain canvas knapsack, however I must apologize becuase I cannot recall who offered it for sale.
          Matthew S. Laird
          [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
          [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
          Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
          [/COLOR]
          [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by mslaird View Post
            I concur with the previous advice concerning the Mexican American War knapsacks...

I also offer this as it pertains directly to Arkansas troops in 1861,

There is a photograph in the Arkansas volume of Portraits of Conflict by Carl Moneyhon and Bobby Roberts on page 26 that depicts Company H of the 3rd Arkansas (state infantry) in Arkadelphia in 1861. I did not do an exact count but it appears as though all of the rankers have the plain all canvas militia knapsack as the canvas straps can plainly be seen over the acoutrements of the men in the photograph. Whether or not this was an item of issue for the Military Board for the state or if it was a private purchase of those that funded the raising of the company is not known to me but it would be a good place to start. There is a cleaner copy of this photograph in another book on uniforms, authored by an Englishman. I am not sure of the exact title of the book, however the copy that I have viewed is in the possession of Rob Wiseman, who can be contacted through this forum.

I believe that I have seen a reproduction of this variant of plain canvas knapsack, however I must apologize becuase I cannot recall who offered it for sale.
            3rd Arkansas Regiment of Infantry; can be tricky though...although raised from the "West", at least their first year was spent in the East serving in the same Brigade as the 23rd VA, and 37th VA Regiments...so at that point...do we consider them Western/Eastern theatre? Where did they draw supplies from?

I'd be very interested in seeing a copy of this image...if anyone has a copy...

Paul B.

I'd be very interested in seeing this picture...if anyone
            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
            (Loblolly Mess)
            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I believe, though I am not completely certain that this particular photograph was of the 3rd Arkansas Infantry Regiment of state troops which shares the same number designator as the 3rd Arkansas of ANV, Hood's Texas Brigade fame. I had relatives in Company I of the 3rd Arkansas, ANV that were from Boonesboro, Arkansas. The 3rd Arkansas Regiment of state troops was engaged at Wilson's Creek and operated in the Trans-Miss and Tennessee. Arkansas' numbering gets quite confusing at times as there are many instances where the same number is used over and over again. To add to the soup, Arkansas units were consolidated with other units and redesignated again, sometimes with new numbers, sometimes with one of the original numbers. The best way I have found to keep the identities of units straight is to go by who commanded them and sometimes that gets a bit difficult as well.
              Matthew S. Laird

[/COLOR]
              [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by mslaird View Post
                I believe, though I am not completely certain that this particular photograph was of the 3rd Arkansas Infantry Regiment of state troops which shares the same number designator as the 3rd Arkansas of ANV, Hood's Texas Brigade fame. I had relatives in Company I of the 3rd Arkansas, ANV that were from Boonesboro, Arkansas. The 3rd Arkansas Regiment of state troops was engaged at Wilson's Creek and operated in the Trans-Miss and Tennessee. Arkansas' numbering gets quite confusing at times as there are many instances where the same number is used over and over again. To add to the soup, Arkansas units were consolidated with other units and redesignated again, sometimes with new numbers, sometimes with one of the original numbers. The best way I have found to keep the identities of units straight is to go by who commanded them and sometimes that gets a bit difficult as well.
                Thanks for the clarification...I'm not familiar with much about Arkansas...extent of my knowledge knowing of the 3rd Arkansas of the ANV.

Paul B.
                Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                (Loblolly Mess)
                [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Thank you for the advice Gents. I'm going to get rid of the one I have now and get that Mex War pack!
                  Andrew Gale

sigpic

Comment

In Brasseys American Civil War: Confederate Army by Ron Field.
                    Page 79. The photograph is from June 1861 and was taken in Arkadelphia. Also in this image is a fellow with smoked glasses (sunglasses?) and an African American in the ranks. the pack straps appear to be canvas and tie in front of the chest as opposed to being buckled. good book, if y'all don't have it.
                    Bryant Roberts
                    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

I am glad to help, Mr. Boulden. Study of Arkansas units can give one an awful headache at times. The interesting bit is, once in a while, we find a company commander who kept detailed records of issuance of clothing and equipment along with reports in their own journals. This was the case with Captain William F. Patton, who lived in the community which existed within the boundaries of the modern day National Park and was in command of a company of men from the same community that fought at Wilson's Creek under one regiment, disbanded after that campaign, then mustered again during the build up before the Prairie Grove campaign. Apparently they stayed in service during the duration from that point. William F. Patton was not employed as a soldier during the battle as he left an account of hiding on Elkhorn Mountain during the battle.

Thank you Mr. Roberts for the clarification on another publication with the photograph. I too noticed the tinted glasses. As I understand tinted glasses were commonly prescribed by physicians for syphilis patients suffering from the common symptoms of sensitive eyes. I am not sure if they also had a fashionable trend associated with them. I admit that my knowledge of civilian articles and common customs is not where it should be. The other interesting thing is the amount of men in the photograph wearing battleshirts. It is a fascinating photograph to be sure.

I am still trying to remember or find the vendor that was making the plain canvas knapsacks of the type that can be seen in the photograph. If I am successful, I will post the information.
                      Matthew S. Laird

[/COLOR]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hello, Dont forget that just prior to the Battle of Prairie Grove the Confederacy shipped out over 10,000 set of English accoutrements and Rifles to the Trans-Mississippi.

CSuniforms
                        Tom Arliskas
                        Tom Arliskas

Comment

[QUOTE=lojafan;138869]Hello all,

I currently have a very poorly crafted "Confederate knapsack" from Blockade runner that has fallen apart from only 4 to 5 uses.

Andrew, would you send me a PM with information about this knapsack? I am curious about the specific nature of the failures. But, I don't want this to turn into a Blockade Runner bashing session. Thanks.
                          Thomas N. Rachal

Comment

I will take back my earlier comment and re-issue a comment on my current knapsack from Blockade Runner. Blockade Runner DOES NOT make the pack, but are made by another company, but Blockade Runner claims that "Quality contol is no longer and issue" and the quality of the product is "up to ours and your standards." I will stop to prevent this from becoming a Blockade Runner bashing thread. I apologise ahead of time for any problem this may create.
                            Andrew Gale

sigpic

Comment

I have seen the image of Arkansas troops mentioned by several folks and agree that they appear to be wearing canvas style militia packs.

I am posting an image of one that bears up pretty well, particularly with the ties over the chest of the wearer.

Regards,
                              Attached Files
                              Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Working...
                              X