Atlanta Cutlery & Enfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta Cutlery & Enfield

I was on another site and they pointed out that Atlanta Cutlery is selling an original Enfield...one of many they have in stock from an Indian stock pile. It appears that they have been over there in storage since the end of the Civil War or earlier. The problem is that the picture they show seems to be a mix of enfield and springfield. Here is the web site for you guys...

Corey Meyer
    104th Illinois
    [FONT="Impact"]Corey Meyer[/FONT]

Re: Atlanta Cutlery & Enfield

The link led you to the frontpage...you will need to go to the first link titled "original British Firearms"

Corey

Full name, please - Mike Chapman
    Last edited by dusty27; 02-04-2004, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerc
      I was on another site and they pointed out that Atlanta Cutlery is selling an original Enfield...one of many they have in stock from an Indian stock pile. It appears that they have been over there in storage since the end of the Civil War or earlier. The problem is that the picture they show seems to be a mix of enfield and springfield. Here is the web site for you guys...

Corey Meyer
      104th Illinois
      Corey,
      I bought two of their Enfields, and returned them at once. They were horrific! Parts were in the main Indian made, not English as advertised, and the wood showed a great deal of damp rot. I understand some of their later weaponry, Snider and Martini-Henry, are quite good, but the model 1853 Enfields are very, very bad.
      Steve Sullivan
      46th Illinois

Comment

Boy, sure wish we had the old threads available. This was cussed and discussed quite a bit several months ago. The consensus seemed to be that the CW era Enfield firearms were of Indian provenance/manufacture, very grungy and with major parts unservicable.

On the other hand the Martini-Henrys seemed to be a relatively good value.
        Fred Grogan
        Sykes' Regulars

Comment

That is what I thougth would be the case...but what about the picture with the band keepers? I have never seen them on an enfield...is this due to the Indian manufacture?

Corey Meyer

Comment

Originally posted by meyerc
            That is what I thougth would be the case...but what about the picture with the band keepers? I have never seen them on an enfield...is this due to the Indian manufacture?

Corey Meyer
            Here are some more excellent photos of the Nepalese Enfields, actually of Steve Sullivans (posted above) purchases...

But, as was mentioned earlier on this thread, the Martini's have been very good, and from what I have seen, the Honorable East India Company "British" 1842 s from there have been good too.

Also, concerning the bands srpings, Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle-muskets, Second Model, had barrel band retaining springs, as did the Windsor contract arms produced by Robbins and Lawrence in Vermont. This change was initiated by the compaints from the field during the Crimean War. It is also at this time that the new ramrod was introduced, the one with the cleaning jag on the head. Also, the second model had a wide front band, wider than the other two, which was used to help retain the ramrod. If you look in the Atlanta Cutlery photo this rifle-musket seems to conform to that pattern.

As I understand, these arms, or a good number of them, came to Nepal by way of India.
            Last edited by Minieball577; 02-04-2004, 01:38 PM.
            ~ Chris Hubbard
            Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
            [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Working...
            X