Wood Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Buttons

This is my first post here... I am looking forward to learning from all of you.

I'm wondering if anyone has documentation or opinions on wooden buttons, and their use on jackets. I imagine during the commutation system this would have been fairly prevalent, but what about on RDII jackets and later on? Do you think that wooden buttons, being from such a readily available resource and an easy to produce item, are under represented in living history?

Thank You
    Regards,
    David Kloos

G-G-G Grandson of Johnathon Brown, NY Cavalry, USCW Veteran. Further research in progress.

Re: Wood Buttons

Wood buttons captured in a Gettysburg photo of dead confederates.
    Attached Files
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

David,
      Welcome to the forum! When you get a chance, use the search functions...try key words such as "confederate buttons" or "wooden buttons"....
      I know there was a recent thread about the same topic here:
      http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...wooden+buttons
      I started a thread some time ago that got into discussing wooden buttons on CD jackets that may be of intetest to you...
      http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=18225
      Two great sources are surviving originals and original pictures however, it is not possible to tell if the buttons are replacements or not. If you are interested in RD jackets, you may want to check out "Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown"....it gives quite a bit of information.
      Good luck with your search.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Wooden buttons have a bad habit of breaking out where they are sewn on. I will qualify that by saying I have never used any high quality wooden buttons such as the kiln dried oak buttons sold by Missouri Boot and Shoe. They are probably more durable.
        Tom Dodson
        Tom Dodson

Comment

Here in Columbia, South Carolina at the Confederate Relic Room, there is a Richmond Depot, type II, constructed of EAC, with extensive machine sewing. It also has wooden buckets. cool jacket.
          Bryant Roberts
          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
          palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Hi,

Have you looked at the " Johnny Reb, Book of the Confed " It has many pictures and talks alot about the unifourms and gear.

Thought this might help.

Cheers,

Comment

Thanks a lot for the replies. Seceshsoldier, I've read through the book your referencing a few times, but I don't own it. It seems like it would be plausible for many jackets to be produced with wooden buttons. I might sew them onto one of my RD II jackets.
              Regards,
              David Kloos

G-G-G Grandson of Johnathon Brown, NY Cavalry, USCW Veteran. Further research in progress.

Comment

I wanted to pick back up on something Luke pointed out in another thread on this topic, regarding withstanding the "test of time". While brass buttons seem to be predominant on surviving CS jackets and coats, obviously the number of these garments is but a drop in the bucket, so to speak, compared with the vast number that were manufactured and issued.

I recall Dan Brennan with the NCMOH once telling me that many of the surviving examples he had seen (at least those that had been well-cared for and/or preserved) were frequently found to have post-war alterations, especially with the buttons. Jim's photo provides documented proof of their use in the field. Also, as has already been pointed out, they likely tended to break fairly easily- and if so would likely have been discarded long before the uniform was. Additionally, metal detectors also don't tend to uncover wooden artifacts, compared with metal (i.e. brass) ones either, which could further skew the "known" ratio.

I believe the number of wooden buttons, at least issued, is probably far greater than realized.

Rich Croxton
                Last edited by Gallinipper; 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM.
                Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Hey guys its been a long time since I've been on!
                  Anyway take a look at some research that I did regarding English uniforms that turned up some info on wooden buttons on RDII jackets. http://www.libertyrifles.org/research/englishcloth.html
                  Also you may want to check out Missouri Boot & Shoe's website where you can purchase wooden buttons and it also has a bit of info on them.

Take Care,
                  Andrew Turner
                  Co.D 27th NCT
                  Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Working...
                  X