Equipping the 8th Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipping the 8th Florida

I'm doing some research on the 8th Florida.

I have pulled the files from the CMSRs at the National Archives. Obviously they were wearing Richmond issue items once they were up in the ANV and the depot system took effect. But I haven't found anything regarding the weapons they carried. The only references are to .58 cal. Does anyone have anything more specific or any sources for photos of enlisted in uniform?

Thanks!

YOS,
    Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
    Southern Division

Re: Equipping the 8th Florida

Harry,
    1st off, God bless you for trying to shine a light on this brave but Spartan band! The 8th was formed in May of 1862 and soon was sent to Virginia in time to be present at the battle of second Manassas. From there to Harpers Ferry and then Sharpsburg. What are the dates on the CSRs that list .58s?
    Some Florida regiments (the 6th and 7th) left Fl with Enfields brought in throw the blockade. I do not know if the 8th recieved any or not, but there is a chance they may have gotten .58s before leaving. If not then, 2nd Manassas and Harpers Ferry may have provided an opportunity.
    From there on (as you know) they served with the ANV. I used to have a copy of David Langs letters, but they are at my parents house somewhere. Maybe the Florida Archives could help there.

just curious, why the 8th??
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Bryant,
      Can you tell me where you got the info on the 6th? My GGG-Grandfather was a 1st Lt. in the 6th (J.P.I McClellan) died in Knoxville.
      Thanks!
      John McClellan

Comment

Bryant,

I'm doing this to help a friend who lives in Florida and is curious about what they really did and not what you see down there in Florida so much....

The dates are '64 for the invoices for .58 cal rifles.

I have included them below.

I have also included one invoice for uniforms typical of many found in June and July '62 in Tallahasee.

YOS,
        Attached Files
        Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
        Southern Division

Comment

Harry,
          Your guess is as good as mine on the rifles. I'll be home for Easter and will see if I can find the Lang letters, that may be the best bet. It also wouldn't be out of the ordinary for it to be a mix of Enfields, Springfields, and Richmonds. Going on the 10th Florida returns, all but 2 companies had .69s at Olustee, but by the 2nd qtr reports of '64 htey are listed as having ".58 rifles" as well.

The clothing reciept is from John Pons of company I. wonder if he was purchasing for his company of the reg't??
          Bryant Roberts
          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Bryant,

I am attaching some more invoices from other officers of the 8th Florida showing their invoices similar to Pons. Looks like they were just simple Florida state issues rather than purchases by unit commanders.

Wish I could see some photos of these uniforms....

YOS,
            Attached Files
            Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
            Southern Division

Comment

Harry, there is indeed a photograph of a uniformed 8th Fla. fellow from ca. 1862. In Ron Field's "American Civil War; Confederate Army" (Brassey's 1998), page 34 is a photograph of a sergeant of the 8th Florida. Of interest, the caption states this is "William R. Barineau" of Co. B, 8th Fla. killed at the Wilderness. I think that attribution is questionable, as by the compiled records that fellow never served as a sergeant, but was promoted from private to 1st Lt. in Sept., 1862. Though I will say it sure looks alot like WRB, as his portrait in civies is posted on the Florida memory website. I think more likely the photo is of J.S. Barineau, who served as a sergeant in the same Company from his enlistment at Quincy, FL on May 10, 62 until promotion to 1st Sgt. after Antietam in Sept. 62. I would bet they were brothers, (but have not searched out the link). Regardless, it shows what looks to me like a plain commutation period uniform without any marked features to distinguish it. Six buttons on the jacket front. Does not look to be faced or trimmed other than three sergeants chevrons on sleeve.
              There is another photograph of a fellow named Russell of the 8th Florida in the Time-Life Books civil war series index volume, but I do not have it to reference. Always struck me he was wearing a Richmond Depot II or III jacket in that image.

later,

James "Archie" Marshall
              Tampa, FL
              James "Archie" Marshall
              The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
              Tampa, FL

Comment

Page 61 of the master index. Private Banjamin E. Russell, Co. B, 8th Florida. The jacket isn't a Richmond II as there is no sign of eppalettes. Whether it's a III, I'll let someone else take a guess as it's a rather nondescript jacket. Nice two-button overshirt he's got underneath that jacket.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                  Page 61 of the master index. Private Banjamin E. Russell, Co. B, 8th Florida. The jacket isn't a Richmond II as there is no sign of eppalettes. Whether it's a III, I'll let someone else take a guess as it's a rather nondescript jacket. Nice two-button overshirt he's got underneath that jacket.
                  Thanks, Silas. I haven't seen the image in years. I do have some notes on Mr. Russell. He was enlisted at Quincy on May 10, 1862 as a musician. By late 62 he was detailed to assist the ordnance sergeant. In November, 1863 he was promoted to 2nd Lt. of his company and remained as such. I recall he appeared to be a youthful fellow in the image, and perhaps it also depicts the regiment's 1862 clothing from Florida.

James 'Archie" Marshall
                  CSS Spray
                  James "Archie" Marshall
                  Tampa, FL

Comment

Attached are the images described above.
                    Attached Files
                    James Permane,

15th U.S. Infantry/ 4th Fla. Vol. Inf'y

http://battleofolustee.org/

Comment

Cool, Thanks James...

Regarding Ron Field's work 'Confederate Army" by Brassey's, he suggests that the jacket worn by Pvt. James Stephens of the 7th Fla. in his photo, with distinctive flapped chest pockets, represents the state of Florida issue in 1862. I rather believe the above discussed photographs (and that of Pvt. Louis Gay of the 4th Fla. in a plain jacket) represent the state's issued clothing in that period. The records of Co. B, 7th Fla. include references to the inability of that regiment to procure gray cloth or clothing despite sending agents into Georgia, etc. En route to Tennessee in the summer of 1862 the 6th and 7th Florida regiments recieved a large quantity of clothing at Columbus, GA. My own opinion is that Stephen's jacket is an example of the "Georgia State" jacket which often featured the chest pockets, besides dark facings, and false cuff flaps. There is a photo of Pvt. Luckie of the 6th Fla. extant which shows a jacket with these distinctive facings, and a pocket on the chest.
                      James "Archie" Marshall
                      Tampa, FL

Comment

Archie,
                        I can't remember where, but I have seen 2 other pictures of Georgia soldiers in jackets just like Luckie is wearing. Also, there is an image in the Fl archives of 2 soldiers both wearing blue over shirts and their kepi's match Luckie's. Don't know if they are 6th Florida or not, or it was Fl thing.
                        Bryant Roberts
                        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Bryant,

The 1930s book "Lures of Manatee" by Lille McDuffie mentions (but alas did not reproduce) photos of Manatee county men in uniform (with Co. K, 7th Fla.). She stated that they were in uniforms issued at Columbus, GA, and wearing "flat topped caps." etc. Though the letters and photos she is referring to were not included in that work, the reference is intriguing and backs up what much of the documentary evidence suggests.
                          I have noticed that the early illustrations of CS Army regulation clothing shows the caps dark colored, perhaps gray, with a colored band (see Mus. of the Conf. catalog of uniforms; and Ron Field's "Uniforms of the Civil War", 2001, p. 268) This was supposedly changed to a branch colored crown and gray band in 1862. As a result, I think the dark colored caps in the Fla. images (and many, many other CS images) might just reflect the above prior to changes to the published regulations, etc. [I recall seeing that this was not written in stone as some caps described at Donnelson in Feb. 62 bore the colored band] BUT, the Stephens and some other images of soldiers serving with the Department of East Tennessee forces in 62 etc. show light piping or trim on the seams of their caps, in imitation of the French Chasseur pattern caps. My point is, I don't think they are distinctive to Florida troops, or the 6th Fla, its just what the 6th and 7th regts. may have recieved en route to the front in 62.
                          James "Archie" Marshall
                          Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
                          X