X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate issue canteens

Hello,

We had a little bit of trouble from my last post i am sorry lets put that behind.

I was woundering what canteens were issued to confederate soldiers, if any. and where they were issue and makers. Was it a comomon thing for the confederate soldier to get a federal canteen or were they taken off union soldiers only. not real sure all will help. thanks,

Ben jenkins
    19th la infantry

Re: Confederate issue canteens

Do a Google Search for "Confederate Canteen". See what links come up. I know Jim Mayo has great photos of original id'd CS canteens. Also check out this:

Read Echoes of Glory: Arms and Equipage of the Confederacy TimeLife Books

Read Civil War Canteens by Sylvia & O'Donnell, Moss Publications, Orange, VA 1990

Look at photos & sketches of Confederate Soldiers. See what kind of canteens they have. That will answer your questions.
    Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 02-04-2004, 01:24 PM.
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Thanks,

ben jenkins

Comment

Ben

What theater of operations do you normaly portray, and what time period?

You may want to consider a plain tindrum canteen or a Gardner pattern wooden canteen. If you do alot of mid to late war ANV, a stripped US canteen would be a good choice.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
        X