Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positive ID on Pre-war Rifle

Hello all,

This rifle was given to a friend of mine, and he's looking for a positive identification on it. I honestly am not experienced enough with these types of rifles to be able to tell from these photos. If anyone could give me at least a general ID on this rifle, I'd greatly appreciate it. B.R.Loar warranted Granville O is engraved on the rifle.

Thanks,
    J. Hicks

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IMAGES, The links that I posted here didn't work. There are a couple of replies to this post before you actually get to the photos. I'm sorry for the confusion everyone, and thanks for the patience.
    Last edited by 37th Tennessee; 04-07-2009, 09:37 PM.
    J. Hicks
    37th Tennessee Infantry Co. H

Re: Positive ID on Pre-war Rifle

The link appears to not work
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

True....The link is broken.

Please post again.

Thanks,
      Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Thats odd, it worked fine earlier......but you're right, now it isn't. I've never uploaded images on here before. I probably didn't do something right. Admin, Go ahead and delete this thread if you'd like. Thanks.

J. Hicks
        J. Hicks

Comment

Let me try again.............
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 37th Tennessee; 04-07-2009, 09:34 PM.
          J. Hicks

Comment

Hello,
            It looks like a hunting shotgun or a 'fowler' from the short stock , very common in the 1840's & 50's . The engraved name may be the company that produced it, there were many small companies producing these guns.
            Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Originally posted by bhutton View Post
              Hello,
              It looks like a hunting shotgun or a 'fowler' from the short stock , very common in the 1840's & 50's . The engraved name may be the company that produced it, there were many small companies producing these guns.
              No, based on the size of the bore and the thickness of the barrel, it looks like rifle, not a fowler. That is one beefy barrel! While I suppose it could be a hunting arm, I'll be that thing weighs a ton! Rather, I'm guessing it is a target rifle.
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

It is indeed a rifle, of the Ohio school and dating anywhere from the late 1850s to the 1880s. My guess on caliber would be around .38 - .45 caliber? Good for squirrels up to small deer.
                Thomas Pare Hern
                Co. A, 4th Virginia
                Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Hallo!

Yup.

In that era, roughly 1840-1880's, it seemed just about every small town in Ohio had a gunmaker making halfstock and sometimes fullstock "Ohio" deer/target rifles.

I will run what appears to be the maker through an "Ohio Rifle" collector friend's reference library and see what info might pop up.

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Although it lacks the false muzzle and starter so common to "target" rifles of that day, the heavy barrel and the set triggers make that purpose the most likely application.
                    ~ Chris Hubbard
                    Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
                    [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Hallo!

Benjamin B. Loar, Granville, Licking County, Ohio (1822-1896)

Benjamin Loar was born in Newark, OH on November 10, 1821.

He was working as a gunsmith by 1845.

Found in the 1850 Census as born in Ohio, age 28, living with wife Sarah age 30, two children Louisa age 6, and Stewart age 4. Four more would be added.

Loar had $125 invested in his business and employed one hand at $33 a month. The hand was likely his partner, a gunsmith named J.M. Garner.

He worked a gunsmith and watch repair shop at the corner of Bowery and Morning Streets, now College and Granger Streets.

He bought and made a variety of percussion guns, specializing in walnut half-stocks of hunting and target weights.

He died on July 1, 1896 at the age of 73. His wife died in 1888. They are both buried in the Cedar Hill Cemetery in Newark. (Ohio SEction 7. West Lot #639).

His obit said he had lived in Newark for 20 years. It is believe he moved back to Newark about 1876 when two other gunmsiths set up shop, M. J. Hough and T.A. Jones, and the four could not compete in Granville in the era of the decline of muzzleloaders.

It is not clear, but it appears Loa went back to watch work, and ran a shop at 323 South Side Square while living at 518 Commodore Street (1891/92 renamed 23 South Park Place and 62 Commodore Street West.)

When Sarah (Sara) died in 1888, Benjamin remarried widow Mary Jane Smith who had been born in PA in 1836. She died in Mount Vernon in 1915.

Loar died after a five month long gastro-intestinal illness, likely cancer.

Loar made half stick and fullstocks hunting and target rifles, often with a distinctive narrow back lock and "capbox."

One Ohio Rifle historian wrote that Loar's guns were "not very eye appealing."

More than you wanted, but IMHO interesting nonetheless.

;)

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you very much for all the information you found. You're right it was a lot more than what I was asking, and I am very greatful that you took the time to find it. I'll forward the information to the owner of the rifle. Thanks again for your assistance, as well as to everyone else.
                        J. Hicks

Comment

Working...
                        X