Confederate Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Auction

I have nothing to do with this auction but i thought you guys might like to see some of the great original items coming up for sale. mod's please move or delete if neccesary. http://www.artfact.com/catalog/searc...Ref=9EHKQUOXY9 Anyone see anything in there not seen before?
    Rick Spencer
    19th U.S. infantry, The Rock Of Chickamauga!
    Ohio Valley Civil War Assoc.
    66th ill. Birge's Western Sharpshooters
    [url]www.ovcwa.com[/url]

Re: Confederate Auction

From the photos, I do not like the look of ANY of the flags that begin the listing. They have the appearance of eBay fakes, but I could be mistaken.
    Something dis-quieting about the caps and jackets as well.
    S.Sullivan

Comment

I did notice that there was a lot of reproduction belt plates on there.
      Rick Spencer
      [url]www.ovcwa.com[/url]

Comment

The "look" of the flags, jackets, and caps struck me as odd also. The estimates appear to be really low for what is being billed as original Confederate items. ~Gary
        Gary Dombrowski
        [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

I have to agree with all you gents...the condition of these items vs price is just too suspect....
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Hi,

If those caps are original, they are the strangest that I have ever seen. This one really gets me http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/c...2-c-02b038a826

Andrew
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

The prices on some of those items should be your first indication that it's fake stuff. If those items were actually originals, some of them identified, they would be asking MUCH more than what they are.

Man, I thought the reproductions reenactors wear were bad, but those shell jackets (if you can call them that) are complete f@$&ing garbage!

Wow.
              Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

They are auctioning a green visor-less forage cap, supposedly worn by Big Yankee Ames when he was killed...Ames was a deserter from a New York regiment, who signed on with Mosby's 43rd Partisan Rangers, and was instrumental in guiding Mosby's men during the capture of Gen. Stoughton. I do not recall his being killed during the War, but I may be wrong. However, I doubt he would have worn his Federal cap during his service with Mosby...
                Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I'm sorry, but this all looks like stuff from the centennial or something of that nature. Maybe from the 1970's.

That "Confederate green kepie without visor" looks an awful lot like a vintage 1970's Berdan's Sharpshooters forage cap. Look at the buttons...they appear to be rubber eagles but I seriously doubt it. They're probably brass buttons that have been spray painted or coated with that Dip-A-Grip liquid rubber.

A lot of the other stuff I've seen before, especially the jackets. I want to say there was a huge auction in Vermont or New Hampshire a few years ago, mostly firearms, but some of this stuff was featured.

Ugh.
                  Brian White
                  [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                  [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                  [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Looks like somebody stumbled onto a big box in their attic containing Centennial gear.... and imagination took it from there. Not too much "battle" in those battleflags.... And 1872 pattern kepis in 1862? I knew the CSA was ahead of it's time!

Rich Croxton
                    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
                      They are auctioning a green visor-less forage cap, supposedly worn by Big Yankee Ames when he was killed...Ames was a deserter from a New York regiment, who signed on with Mosby's 43rd Partisan Rangers, and was instrumental in guiding Mosby's men during the capture of Gen. Stoughton. I do not recall his being killed during the War, but I may be wrong. However, I doubt he would have worn his Federal cap during his service with Mosby...

I do believe that Big Yankee Ames was killed, based on the book Mosby's Rangers, during the War in one of the many fights Mosby's men had.
                      [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks Ken. I couldn't recall if he had been or not.
                        Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                        KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

He's also posting an "original" Hardee pattern flag,"belonging" to the 33rd. AL. , with a starting bid of $400 ! Now that's a screaming red flag, if ever there was one ! Hopefully someone will call him out on some of these items.
                          Eric N. Harley-Brown
                          Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

This just goes to show everyone that if they don't know what they are looking for they can get burned! Hopefully i haven't offended anyone by posting this, I was really interested to see what everyone thought of the stuff as i had my doubts about the authenticity of some of the items in this auction too.
                            Rick Spencer
                            [url]www.ovcwa.com[/url]

Comment

Has anyone ever seen a screw top canteen such as this one?
                              Marvin Boyce

Comment

Working...
                              X