Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does jarnigan cadet gray compare to original cadet gray!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does jarnigan cadet gray compare to original cadet gray!

I thought that camparing it to original material was a given.....I herd it was from F.H.W. any one know if that is true?
    So now does any one know how it compares to original material.
    Thank you
    John Mclellan
    Last edited by John McClellan; 04-11-2009, 02:18 PM.

Re: How does jarnigan cadet gray compare to original cadet gray!

I tried to reply to the earlier post, before that thread was appropriately closed.

Are you referring in particular to "Cadet Gray" kersey, or if not, what? Was it domestically produced or imported? Is there a particular uniform item or piece with a known provenance, or that you may have examined, that you are trying to replicate? If so, there would be other factors to consider.

A note of interest from Wm. Booth's website:

Kersey is both a fabric and weave and in the case of Virginia cloth indicates a twill weave. Virginia cloth of kersey weave was used to make durable cheep (sic) men's outer garments like breeches, jackets, coats, and waistcoats. Not all Virginia cloth had a kersey weave to it there were many other types of Virginia cloth.

I can recall overhearing, on more than one occasion, how "many years ago" (whatever that means) Jarny made a spot-on Cadet Gray with a "twill like kersey-weave" and which matched the Redwood RD jacket. Whether this was ever true or not, I can not confirm. But the samples which I last saw, from those couple of sutlers you mentioned earlier (not FHW), do not match the material of that particular garment, for example, in either their color hue or weave- and bearing in mind that you are talking about a nearly 150 year old item vs. newly finished material.

Rich Croxton
    Last edited by Gallinipper; 04-11-2009, 02:34 PM.
    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Here we go....Yes kersey. I was not trying to stir up a hornet's nest just a simple question. And for the record I only mentioned jarnagin and F.H.W.
      John McClellan
      Last edited by John McClellan; 04-11-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I totally understand. I did not see FHW mentioned until you edited and clarified that. I wanted to be clear and understand too. I certainly can't and won't speak for everyone, but I believe most of these gents would tell you they are pleased with Family Heirloom. If Jarny is using them now, bully for them too!

That said, I don't think you stirred up a hornet's nest at all. It's all good stuff. Just whenever a thread (like the earlier one on this subject) takes a turn towards comparing vendors, pricing, etc.- especially those that may be considered less-than-authentic for purposes of this forum- it's the Mods' duty and privilege to shut it down. Good luck!

Rich Croxton
        Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Thanks Rich!
          John McClellan

Comment

The cadet grey broadcloth that Jarnigan was using in the early 1980s is, in my sole opinion, a nice match to what I saw on an Alabama officer's original frock and cap. However, it was not the grey British army cloth of the Tait and RD III jackets, again in my opinion. It missed both on texture and on color. I have not seen any of Jarnigan’s material in more than a decade, so I cannot speak to it, making my comments largely useless to you. Good luck in your quest. What are you trying to match?
            Pat Brown

Comment

Working...
            X