Federal Gear In the Confederate Ranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Federal Gear In the Confederate Ranks

Re: Federal Gear In the Confederate Ranks, I think to when some North Carolina Regiments accused their Generals of Favoritism at Fredricksburg saying; They don't want the NC's to get anything, they would not have stopped the Texans." For the full story read; Stonewall Jackson and the American Civil War, G.F.R Henderson. But the jest of the above was that the troops looked at the charge or counter stroke as the opportunity to supply, causing control problems.

As to the common statement I hear to often about what happens to a body after death...so what! Feel free to unload your best work in your trousers and then dare me to strip you down, but be warned I'm keeping the stuff for my use.
    Last edited by McKim; 07-04-2009, 06:38 PM.
    Thaddaeus Dolzall
    Liberty Hall Volunteers

We began to think that Ritchie Green did a very smart thing, when we left Richmond, to carry nothing in his knapsack but one paper collar and a plug of tobacco!

Comment

Re: Federal Gear In the Confederate Ranks

This was taken from a book by Samuel Boyer Davis called:

Escape of a Confederate Officer from Prison published in 1890 and article was found on page 14. Boyer was from Delaware and was an aide to Trimble. He was wounded badly at Gettysburg supporting Pickett's charge and captured. He moved through several Field hospitals unitl he ended up in Chester, PA which is close to his home state. After he had recovered somewhat, Boyer and a Captain Slay from Mississippi escaped and headed to Wilmington, DE on or about August 10th, 1863. Going down the Delmarva Peninsula (Symrna, Dover, Easton, Charles County, MD and then across the Potomac), it took 13 days to finally reach Virginia soil.

"After a tramp of 10 miles and when we began to hope all was safe, a noise attracted our attention, and looking up we saw a soldier, gun and all, ahead
      of us, and the worst of it was he saw us. Too late to retreat, we had to approach him, and we did so with varied feelings of hope and fear. The fellow had on a pair of blue United States trousers, but a soft felt hat, and it was a question whether we had fallen on a Yankee, or a Johnnie. We soon found, however, that that " Yank" belonged to an Alabama regiment, and we were safe."

So around the 23rd of August in 1863 a Confederate from Alabama was wearing Union trousers in Virginia.

Mark Wade
      Trust in God and fear nothing!

Comment

Working...
      X