CSA Officer's Sword - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSA Officer's Sword - question

I've been looking at CSA Officer's Swords offered by various sutlers and am struck by the quantity/style of embellishment (engraving) on the blades. The heavy engraving on the blade may have been correct for a "presentation" or "dress" blade, but it would seem out of place for one which saw battle service.

I looked online and was able to find some pictures of blades that had egnraving, but none to the extent seen at most sutlers. They certainly didn't have the confederate battle flag engraved/etched on the side of the blade. Most blades appeared to not have any etching on the blade whatsoever. Was it there originally and then polished off over time? I wonder...

Realizing there were many different styles of officer swords which saw service, can anyone here provide insight as to the style and quantity of etching and perhaps even point me in the direction of a supplier which can provide such an accurate reproduction?

Thanks,
    Matt O'Driscoll
    1st Reg. KY Volunteers, Co. E

Re: CSA Officer's Sword - question

Matt,
    First you need to examine the impression you are doing. Are you a line officer (company level, lt. or capt)? Or Are you Field Grade? Maybe a staff officer? What did you do before the war? Were you a prominent land owner (or son of?) Or maybe you were a tradesman who was voted into office after the reorganizations of 62?
    All of these things are clues that will help you develop your officers impression.

Below are two threads you may find to be of use:

good luck!
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Matt,

In your study and research I suggest that you get out of the world of living history all together and look at as many originals as possible.

One website that I have been using for years for research in my collecting habits is:
      www.oldswords.com
      They may ask you to sign up, but its worth your time as it is an excellent reference tool.

Also there are a few books out there on Confederate officer's swords as well as one that sticks out by William S. Albaugh III entitled Confederate Edged Weapons. Most of the images in the book are sketches, but the information contained there-in is a great start, and may be fully sufficient to answering your questions. The book also seems to be readily available in its reprinted form.

I hope this helps!

Respectfully,
      [B]Byron Faidley[/B]

[I]Loblolly Mess,
      23rd Virginia,
      and the Loyal State Rifles
      3NITL
      [/I]

Comment

Hallo!

With officer's buying their own swords, as with Federal officers, CS officers faced a range of choices depending upon the image they wished to present and the amount of cash they had or were willing to spend on the "project."

As a result, one will find among surviving CS swords a mix of:

1. plain, un acid etched, un engraved blades
        2. engraved blades
        3. acid frosted and or etched blades

Acid-etced or engraved blades often carried Confederate flags, CSA type motifs, as well as names and commemoative statements.

For one of my CS officer, LT and CPT, impressions, I carried a Boyle & Gamble copy of the US M1850 food officrs sword but with a plain blade.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
        X