Company Letter on Fatigue Blouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Letter on Fatigue Blouse

I have seen on this forum a photo of a Federal soldier who had the brass Company Letter on the chest of his fatigue blouse. I have searched for this photo with no luck.

Does anyone else remember this or have seen something like this before? I do not recall having seen it before so might attribute it to something done for the photograph.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Glenn Bramer
    Pvt, Company C

Re: Company Letter on Fatigue Blouse

On another forum, there is a photo of an enlisted man with the brass regimental numbers on his collar.
    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Enjoy! 93rd NY in Petersburg.
      Attached Files
      Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Great photos... Thanks as always.
        Glenn Bramer
        Pvt, Company C

Comment

Great photos, thanks! I'm intrigued by why they would have done that. If it's possibly due to a company or even regimental mandate, for purposes of easy identification, I suppose a cap is more easily lost than a blouse. Any thoughts?

Rich Croxton
          Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonEnglish View Post
            Enjoy! 93rd NY in Petersburg.
            Love the baseball cap look. They certainly have the style, don't they?!
            RJ Samp
            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Appears there are some foppish modifications to a couple of those blouses, too.

Rich Croxton
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

In photo number 4, the soldier with 93 and E, looks like he has a SNY belt plate.
                Aka
                Wm Green :D
                Illegitimi non carborundum
                (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Bills turned up and not rolled.

:wink_smil
                  John Pillers
                  Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Great image! I'm always an advocate for the theories of: "Hey, look what Joe did, I'll do it too!" and regimental/company unity and pride, when it comes to neat details such as this. Always could be a way for the Company Commander or NCOs to keep track of the men too. Oh the possiblities!

my two barks,

Best,
                    [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Thought I'd post the whole images because more than a few of these guys have the Co. Letter and Regimental number. They may have just put these on there for the photo to show off their unit pride?
                      Attached Files
                      Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by Gallinipper View Post
                        Appears there are some foppish modifications to a couple of those blouses, too.
                        ...indeed, Rich.

Comment

Did anyone else notice the added buttons on the the sack coat fronts and cuffs? or is that a state coat with cuff buttons the one fellow w/"93" on, or simply another modified sack coat to a waist length roundabout?
                          [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                          Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                          [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                          Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                          Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                          The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

The lack of shirt collars protuding from the jackets on many ...

The only other belt buckle I can see is also an SNY.
                            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Did anyone else notice the crown on the hat of the 1st Sgt? Looks too tall to be a kepi, but has a recessed crown like one.
                              Glenn Bramer
                              Pvt, Company C

Comment

Working...
                              X