Company Letter on Fatigue Blouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Company Letter on Fatigue Blouse

You have to wonder...1864 -65 saw alot of trench warfare, with many deaths occurring from head wounds. Perhaps it was a way of identifying yourself should your face or head be disfigured or taken off...
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Very interesting photos!

I wonnder if it's completely unit specific to them (the 93rd) and was started by someone in the unit and then copied. Does anyone know of any other unit photographs showing anything similiar? Can't say I've ever seen others doing this before.

Thanks for posting them.
      Michael Boyd
      49th Indiana Co. F.
      [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

63rd Indiana, 1st Section/1st Platoon, Co C at [B]Backwaters[/B]
      15th Iowa, Co. K - [B]Shiloh![/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Captain View Post
        Very interesting photos!

I wonnder if it's completely unit specific to them (the 93rd) and was started by someone in the unit and then copied. Does anyone know of any other unit photographs showing anything similiar? Can't say I've ever seen others doing this before.

Thanks for posting them.
        If anyone can find it there is a picture of a grouping of engineers all wearing the engineer castle on their blouses.
        Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Good points to remember the next time you are issued company letters and regimental numbers, as so often happens at events.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonEnglish View Post
            If anyone can find it there is a picture of a grouping of engineers all wearing the engineer castle on their blouses.

That image was posted recently on the Hard Case Boys forum.
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
              That image was posted recently on the Hard Case Boys forum.
              Yeah, baybee! The photo analysis over there is my-T-fine. My favorite has to be the "Hey, girls, he's got it all!" Bow legged, shirt tucked to his trousers, dirty as can be, needs a shave (look who is talking), and shuffling those boxes, crates, etc. around in a good day's work.

Loading and unloading period conveyences. How cool is that? ;)
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

On that second photo anyone notice the number of NCO belt plate and only 1/2 of them have stripes on their arms I counted 9 possible NCO either with NCO plates or stripes. Also one of the "NCO in the middle" which what looks like an add on pocket to his frock.
                Aka
                Wm Green :D
                Illegitimi non carborundum
                (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Very intersting, when I was with the Army of the Pacific at Franklin in 04, some guys in the unit did that with company letters. But this is the first time I have seen this on period photos.

William Summe (Salt Pork)
                  In Memory of George Weiser, 10th NJ INF, CO. A, 6th corps 1st divison, captured at the muleshoe of Spotsylvania,Va, imprisoned in Andersonville,GA. Born in 1839 died in 1927.

Comment

Working...
                  X