Confederate Prisoners / Lookout Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Prisoners / Lookout Mountain

Does anyone know of a source for the photograph described in Jensen's "Survey" article of two Confederate prisoners on Lookout Mountain? I am aware of the Chattanooga train depot photos, but have never seen the picture that Jensen describes as,
    "A photograph of two Confederate prisoners taken on Lookout Mountain, TN, probably in November, 1863"
    Jensen attributes the photo to The Civil War, Master Index (1987), page 82. I cannot locate this book locally. If some has a scanned copy of the picture, please contact me.
    Thanks!
    Mark
    Mark Taylor

Re: Confederate Prisoners / Lookout Mountain

If not mistaken, it pictures them on the large rock on Lookout...
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

My search didn't yield anything on that image in particular, but I found an interesting one of a grouping at the rail station in Chattanooga, supposedly containing POWs.

Quite a few overcoats are present. Some of these boys are either wearing a lot of Fed clothing or they are fairly interspersed with their captors. (Or perhaps we're looking at Federals in the foreground, with the actual prisoners in the background?)

It's entitled "1864. Chattanooga, Tenn. Confederate prisoners at railroad depot waiting to be sent north". However, the photographer is also listed as unknown.

Perhaps somebody more gifted in these matters can paste the image here? Mods if you also need to separate this post, please feel free to do so!

Rich Croxton
      Last edited by Gallinipper; 04-17-2009, 06:37 PM. Reason: added note
      Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

We, the CHickamauga-Chattanooga Staff, dont think the railroad depot pic is of CS prisoners, at least certainly not from the battles in 63. All of the men in that shot appear to be Federals, and its our thought that it is Federal troops in October or November of 1864.

Lee
        Lee White
        Researcher and Historian
        "Delenda Est Carthago"
        "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well I was very curious about it, but it is definitely a nice image.

Before I blew it up, I was thinking how neat it would be to try and count the types of CS jackets.... "Let's see... um....um...." I also wondered about the absence of the photographers identity. I'm sure that leads to many mislabeled photographs of the era.

Rich Croxton
          Rich Croxton

Comment

There is an awful lot of Federal (or Federal looking) sack coats and hats & caps in the train depot picture. I can also pick out several double bag style packs.
            Mark Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by marktaylor View Post
              Does anyone know of a source for the photograph described in Jensen's "Survey" article of two Confederate prisoners on Lookout Mountain? I am aware of the Chattanooga train depot photos, but have never seen the picture that Jensen describes as,
              "A photograph of two Confederate prisoners taken on Lookout Mountain, TN, probably in November, 1863"
              Jensen attributes the photo to The Civil War, Master Index (1987), page 82. I cannot locate this book locally. If some has a scanned copy of the picture, please contact me.
              Thanks!
              Mark
              Personally, I have never heard of this photo. Has anyone else?
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I've not seen it either, but I tend to trust Jensen. I really hope someone can confirm this potentially cool rumor.
                Pat Brown

Comment

I believe this is the image you're looking for, nice looking fellows:
                  Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Wow! Leave it to Les Jensen to ferret this out...what must be a one of a kind. Tough for us to tell much detail on what Les identifies as Columbus Depot jackets but he no doubt had access to a copy of the photo itself. The hats are outstanding.

I assume The Master Index is the last volume of Time Life's excellent The Civil War series (the thin gray books). Its the only one I don't have for some reason. Ian did you scan it from the book?
                    Last edited by DougCooper; 04-18-2009, 04:20 AM.
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I don't think I ever saw that image either. It is outstanding! I love the group laying up next to the building, the one guy has his feet up against the wall in the entrance. Pretty neat. Thanks for posting this!

Rob Weber

Comment

Originally posted by Gallinipper View Post
                        My search didn't yield anything on that image in particular, but I found an interesting one of a grouping at the rail station in Chattanooga, supposedly containing POWs.

Quite a few overcoats are present. Some of these boys are either wearing a lot of Fed clothing or they are fairly interspersed with their captors. (Or perhaps we're looking at Federals in the foreground, with the actual prisoners in the background?)

It's entitled "1864. Chattanooga, Tenn. Confederate prisoners at railroad depot waiting to be sent north". However, the photographer is also listed as unknown.

Perhaps somebody more gifted in these matters can paste the image here? Mods if you also need to separate this post, please feel free to do so!

Rich Croxton
                        I remember this image being discussed previously in quite some depth. It's an interesting read!
                        http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...rate+prisoners
                        Luke Gilly
                        Breckinridge Greys
                        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                          Wow! Leave it to Les Jensen to ferret this out...what must be a one of a kind. Tough for us to tell much detail on what Les identifies as Columbus Depot jackets but he no doubt had access to a copy of the photo itself. The hats are outstanding.

I assume The Master Index is the last volume of Time Life's excellent The Civil War series (the thin gray books). Its the only one I don't have for some reason. Ian did you scan it from the book?
                          Yeah, I scanned it. I'm not sure where else to retrieve a high resolution image.

Something I've noticed in nearly every image of Confederate enlisted men, whether studio portraits, photos of prisoners or the deceased is the heavy use of vests. I've seen far more images of Confederates wearing vests under their jackets than Federals wearing vests under their coats.
                          Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Interesting indeed! Thanks for posting those better, closer shots.

Rich Croxton
                            Rich Croxton

Comment

I ordered the book that Jensen sites the picture from (Civil War Master Index) with the hope (fantasy maybe?) that there would be the picture all blown up and showing a ton of detail. I got the book today, and I was very disappointed to see that the picture is very small.
                              Interesting discussion none the less.
                              Mark Taylor

Comment

Working...
                              X