Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th New Hampshire Uniforms

All,
    While studying a photo of the 5th NHV I noticed two things I have a question about. First, some soldiers were wearing dark blue trowsers. I thought the dark blues were only for the Regular Army? I have also seen them on some Pennsylvania troops. And lastly I noticed an enlisted man wearing what looks like a New York state jacket. It had the epulates and all the trim. Unless there was a NY soldier visiting the 5th I have to assume that this man in question was in the ranks of the 5th NHV.
    Makes me go HMMMMMM......
    By the way, the pic is the one of the New Hampshire boys building the bridge over the Chickahominy.

Thanks!
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]
    [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
    106th Reg't PVI
    Co. G
    Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Re: 5th New Hampshire Uniforms

Many State units wore dark blue until the orders were enforced. Reading some of the diaries of Indiana and Ohio troops stationed here in KY, they didn't change over until issued new uniforms in late Spring to the Summer of1862.
    Also some of these same units, including some KY units, wore the Infantry jacket instead of the 4 button sack.
    I'm at work or I'd give more specifics.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

I know the 5th NH were brigaded with the 61st NY and they had state jackets at the start of the war. There were several men on light duties who were able to maintain and use their state jackets until at least May of 63. It could be possible you are looking at a 61st'er.
      They were also brigaded with the 64th NY as well but they, from what I understand did not have state jackets, but the 64th did help build that bridge.
      [I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Matt Kraybill[/FONT][/I]
      [B][SIZE="5"]61st Regiment
      New York Volunteers[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by 106th PVI View Post
        First, some soldiers were wearing dark blue trowsers. I thought the dark blues were only for the Regular Army? I have also seen them on some Pennsylvania troops.
        Paul Boccadoro
        Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Paul,
          Your unit's site is where I saw the pic of the 5th building the bridge. I have it as a favorite. I was unaware that any New Yorkers helped build the bridge. It makes sense that the other members of the brigade would help to work on the span.

Thanks!
          [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
          106th Reg't PVI
          Co. G
          Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Dean,

A couple of fellows who may be able to help you with specific 5th NHVI questions:

Jim Blake fifthnhvol@hotmail.com

George Hall mec400@comcast.net

They aren't particularly active on this forum, so it is best to email them directly. On a more general note, a great book that is available through interlibrary loan is Langellier's "Army Blue: The Uniform of Uncle Sam's Regulars, 1848-1873." While primarily about the regulars, the well illustrated coffee table volume sheds a great deal of light on the fashions of the day for the volunteers. I have a copy and refer to it often.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Folks,
              Check out this picture that Paul has in his article:

notice the fellow at the bottom seated, with his back to us. We have gone on and on othe forums about what cut constitutes a such and such depot coat etc. This fellow is wearing a 6 piece jacket with eppaulettes. and is in the Union army. jacket patterns weren't invented at Confederare clothing bureaus sometime in 1861 or 1862.

BR
              Bryant Roberts
              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you for all of your help guys. I am particularly interested in the 5th because I have three ancestors who were members of the regiment...
                Colonel Cross, Corporal Anson Cass and Pvt Phillip Cass. All three are relatives on my father's side.
                [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
                106th Reg't PVI
                Co. G
                Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X