Translation Please,
    F/M/C/P/H/A

Mike Stein
    Mike Stein
    Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Re: From Farbism to authentic

Farb/Mainstream/Campaigner/Progressive/Hardcore/Authentic

Somewhere buried in here is an article about what these all mean.
      Joe Smotherman

Comment

Hallo!

While there is no universally agreed upon definition, denotation, or connotation, but here is one attempt:

An Attempt at Defining the Terms:
        Authentic, Hardcore, Progressive, Mainstreamer, Farb and Campaigner
        by Paul Calloway

There is so much confusion about a certain set of terms that I think it would be useful to attempt to set some definitions to these terms. It may confuse the matter more, it may cause still more infighting - but these are not my goals when writing this article. Rather, I purpose to create a forum for the discussion of these terms alone. I also believe eliminating some of the ambiguity in how we define ourselves may lead to a more healthy reenacting experience for all.

First and foremost, I believe that there is room in the hobby for all. I think Joe Farb has every right to go to a wide-open reenactment and drink his swill and go to the dance. At a wide-open reenactment, Joe Farb shouldn't have to put up with jeers and dirty looks from the hardcore crowd. The hardcores should expect Joe Farb to be there and it was their choice to attend that wide-open reenactment so they all should deal maturely with the result. I also think Henry Hardcore has every right to go to a reenactment where authenticity requirements are set to prevent Joe Farb from showing up. If the event clearly says, invitation-only, they mean it... Joe Farb should get his invitation before he goes. If he's turned down, Joe Farb should deal with it and not go there seeking a confrontation.

We all get a certain degree of enjoyment out of this hobby or we wouldn't be spending our dollars and time on it. What tickles Joe Farb's fancy is likely to be different from what might give Henry Hardcore a rush. Let them both get what they want out of the hobby and everybody will be happy. We've all got guns... let's all do our part in preventing anyone from going postal.

To both Joe and Henry, and to all those in between, I suggest you do your homework ahead of time and attend events that are likely to meet your expectations. Henry Hardcore, don't go to the battle of "Ya'll Come" where invitations are open to all and expect everyone in the ranks to be dressed in Child's kits or Wedeward sacks... it's ridiculous but sometimes that's what we expect. Joe Farb, don't show up at an expressly campaign-style event with your A-Tent and plop down in the middle of the campaign camp and not expect some dirty looks.

Now, back to the subject at hand. In this document, I will attempt to provide detailed definitions to the proceeding set of terms. It has been my observation that friction comes when any three of these stages or levels are combined in the same proximity (whether it be a battalion formation or just in camp) and thus one of my reasons for creating these definitions. An example would be a battalion of mainstreamers, progressives and hardcores or another would farbs, mainstreamers and progressives... combining any three has been in my experience a major disappointment to somebody.
        Farb
        Mainstreamer
        Progressive
        Hardcore
        Authentic
        Campaigner

I look at these terms on a sliding scale:

- Farb -- Mainstreamer -- Progressive -- Hardcore -- Authentic -

Reenactors normally slide from one level to the next (normally left to right) and on a on few occasions, certain reenactors have been known to skip several stages on the authenticity sliding scale. This can happen when a hardcore or progressive group takes a fresh fish under his wing and thus intercedes in what some might consider the "natural progression" or even "evolution" of the Civil War Reenactor.

*You'll note that I did not even mention the word Campaigner which many consider to be a level of authenticity in and of itself. I do not ascribe to this belief. Please read on as I discuss this in great detail later.

Defining the Term FARB:

Most reenactors come into the hobby as a FARB. Some of them stay right there indefinitely, others begin moving toward the right. When we talk about a FARB, I think of wristwatches, modern eyeglasses, coolers in camp, MRE's for rations, etc. The term FARB is much like the word "hoosier" which no-one really knows for sure where it comes from. One of the more believable explanations was explained by Ross M. Kimmel in "Confessions of a Blackhat: Recollections as a Skirmisher During the Civil War Centennial; Part Six in a Series: Friction and Film" which appeared in the Winter 2000 issue of the Camp Chase Gazette (Vol. XXVII - No. 3) pp. 55-56.

"I have mentioned the F-word - "farby" which survives in the reenactment subculture today as "farb," meaning a person who is not authentic."

"Believe it or not, it was invented in Gerry Rolph's kitchen in the early 1960's, I think by the time of the First Manassas reenactment."

"It originated as an adjective, farby, to describe that which did not come up to Blackhat authenticity standards."

".... farben in German... means colorful, which certainly describes many farbs."

Defining the Term MAINSTREAMER:

MAINSTREAMERS use general-line equipment from sutler-row and usually exhibit a "this is only a hobby" mentality. Some folks start at this level, believing that wearing wrist-watches and sunglasses are obvious anachronisms that need be avoided. They'll usually keep their coolers hidden in their tents and often times are very focused on the battles. It has been my observation that they usually hold hardcores in contempt even though they most have never met or talked with one. This was the case with me in the early days of my reenacting experience. I frequented terms such as "button-pissers, stitch-nazis and stitch-counters" without really knowing who or what I was describing. I only knew what I had been told by other mainstreamers and farbs. However, it was at this stage of my impression that I could easily have been described a campaigner! I was using mainstream gear but sleeping under the stars, eating out of my haversack and shying away from status quo reenacting. I don't think the term Progressive could have been ascribed to me as I had no interest in obtaining more correct gear.

Personal Note Aside: Mainstreamers and Farbs aren't all bad, and whatever you might have heard, hardcores don't hate them...

Defining the Term PROGRESSIVE:

Reenactors reach the PROGRESSIVE stage when they begin making an all out effort (within the limits of their finances) to get things as right as possible. They'll usually have an increased interest in doing Living History and may have started to feel that pitched battles are losing their luster. When the event calls for garrison-style camping, they will bring A-Tents and limited camp furniture. If it's a campaign-style event, they'll usually put up shelter halves or sleep under the stars. They'll be consciously looking for the best gear they can buy and can be noticed as having a more soldierly outlook and approach to the hobby. Their views on hardcores are noticeably changing and are now becoming for appreciative of the research many other hardcores and progressives have done which they now realize is of great benefit to them, the progressive reenactor.

Defining the Term HARDCORE:

This is perhaps the least understood of all the levels / stages and thus I intend to spend a fair amount of time on it. In the grand scheme of Civil War Reenacting, few have made it to the HARDCORE stage. Although, arguably, more and more have made it to the Hardcore level of late. Still more think they've made it here but probably haven't. Scott Cross of the Mudsills has dutifully described in the following manner in a recent web posting and I've taken the liberty to quote him:

"After 20 years of Civil War living History with the Mudsills, I have some definite ideas [about the definition of hardcore.] A hardcore bases every article of his impression on documented sources, i.e.: actual items in museums or private collections. He doesn't have to do the primary research all by himself, because he networks with other trusted hardcores that do primary research on artifacts. He doesn't have to make all of his impression parts, but knows who is out there that can do it in the same manner as the 19th century manufacturers. First-Person is another part of being a Hardcore. Either individual biographical research or unit research is important to him. The first-person stories of the common soldier are an integral part of his study. Campaigning is another factor. Re-enactments are not important, because one can never authentically recreate a battle. Marching with minimal gear, camping and cooking as they did, and experiencing every possible hardship, from winter cabins to burning and bending railroad iron, helps the Hardcore to connect with those men from the past. I would also have to include a military mindset is also essential. Some may disagree with this, but you can't understand the day to day life of the soldier without running a military style camp, with competent officers and NCO's. I suppose that we are looking for total immersion type experiences in what we do. The closer the experience, the more we identify with the historical people, the closer we identify, the better we can share that knowledge with each other and the public. I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, but I'm also sure my comrades will fill the gaps."

This is the big leagues where complete immersion is the goal. Finances be d***ed, there are no excuses to be made at this level. Do it right or don't do it. Some call this the BIRD principal, ie."because it's right darn-it!" On a side note, please don't assume someone is a hardcore because they use the term BIRD. Rather many hardcores shy away from the term as it seems to trivialize and humorize the effort of authenticity. Not everything in life need be demoted to a catch-phrase. Although, if you are a frequenter of the term BIRD, don't let hardcores push you around about it while saying other catch-phrases FARB out the other side of their head. Come on reader, smile, that was a good point.

An excellent treatise on the Hardcore movement can be found in both the March 2000 issue of the CCG as well as being posted on the internet. It's called the Campaigner's Manifesto, written by Col. Nicky Hughes of the Breckinridge Battalion . (A similar treatise exists for Civilian reenactors.) Although I don't agree with how he has couched the term Campaigner in his writing, I think the manifesto clearly applies to the hardcore movement. I'll spend more time discussing the term Campaigner but suffice it to say that using my definitions, a more apt term might be, "The Hardcore's Manifesto". Although the name Hardcore is a term of derision by many mainstreamers, it is also a badge of honor that most real hardcores are happy to have ascribed to them. The term campaigner however is adopted by groups with clearly mainstream impressions and thus my belief that in the context of the manifesto, the term hardcore would be more appropriate. This is not to denigrate Mr. Hughes' work here though as it is outstanding and should be the gold-standard for serious reenactors in their pursuit of authenticity.

Defining the Term AUTHENTIC:

Yes, finally there is the level of AUTHENTIC which all reenactors should strive for yet none of us will ever obtain. The model authentic was the true Civil War Soldier and we can know him through his photographs, diaries, letters and other primary resources. This is where we set our sights and when the world of reenacting politics begins to muddy the landscape, this is the guiding light.

Defining the Term CAMPAIGNER:

With regard to the term CAMPAIGNER, I view this as a particular aspect of a soldier's life. At times the real soldiers were on campaign, other times they were garrisoned. In the world of reenacting, it is possible to have a Mainstream Campaigner (Chickamauga) or a Hardcore Garrisoner (Ft. Pulaski.) I do not see the term campaigner as an independent description of ones commitment to authenticity except as it relates to the scenario at hand. As I mentioned previously.

CONCLUSION:

To summarize, these are my humble opinions having been in all these separate movements at one time or another. I have also had a great deal of exposure to all of these stages of authenticity as a result of the creation and maintaining of my website, the Authentic Campaigner. I expect there will be some disagreement and perhaps even heated debate. You're welcome to have your own opinions... as someone has said they are said to be like armpits - everyone has them and they usually stink, including my own. A certain amount of nastiness is generally expected. Please, just keep the name-calling away from using my mother's name... I get touchy on that point. She's a good woman. ;-) I respectfully close and wish you all the best, irregardless of what category I may have inadvertently lumped you in. I am fortunate to have dear, lifelong friends at all stages - I hope that never changes.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Take in all the information you can. Sort it out, then throw out all the nasty crap and keep the good stuff. Seeing as the topic of reading came up, look at all first person accounts, such as Hardtack and Coffee. There are others, but start with that one. Then move on to books that deal with the hobby. Frankly, a book that rates at the top of my list is the Columbia Rifles Reasearch Compendium (2nd Edition). Loaded with tons of information for all. Read, Read, and read some more...
          Mike Dudkowski

Comment

Ah yes, the beloved "An Attempt at Defining the Terms" thread. So nice to see it again. Danke Herr Schmidt!

My thoughts have not changed, from that time.... Personally, I do still favor "Campaigner" over "Authentic", for those reasons aforementioned- at least as it pertains to the military side of the issue.

Re: Authentic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gents,

Certainly not wanting to pick any fights here (especially with Bro. Badgett, who might turn the redhead loose on me....!) I'd just like to weigh in on the subject of terms, at least as they have been put forth, and which of them is most applicable to what WE do.

I have never been completely comfortable with the term "Progressive", because I feel there are progressive mainstreamers in this hobby too. Sadly they are actually progressing in another direction. For our purposes, I believe the term "Campaigner" is the best to come down the pike so far. I actually would include static bivouac or garrison duty under this umbrella. The rationale here being that years after the war, vets were still heard to refer to themselves as old campaigners, regardless of what types of duty they may have pulled during it's course. As for us, we don't live in the field perpetually, we drive to staged events on weekends. We don't have dysentery, scurvy, bad teeth, the pox, lice, etc. etc.-- or most of us don't as a general rule anyway. Paul hits the nail on the head there. We truly are recreating, albeit in the most "authentic" manner possible within certain physical constraints, a particular aspect of the average soldier's life. You have to put things in perspective. That's the best we can hope to do.

IMHO until someone comes up with a better term, I think "Campaigner" most appropriately fits what our segment of the hobby strives to accomplish. Again, this is just my $.02 worth. You mileage may vary..... Thanks.

Rich Croxton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Last edited by Gallinipper; 09-02-2004 at 08:35 AM

Rich Croxton
            Last edited by Gallinipper; 04-22-2009, 04:59 PM.
            Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Hallo!

"While there is no universally agreed upon definition, denotation, or connotation..."

Just because I posted it, does not mean I "agree" with all of it. ;) :) :)

For example, it is currently "more popular" to delete the "A" for "Authentic" under the argument that only Civil War soldiers are/were "authentic" which we can never be because we are not Civil War soldiers.

IMHO...

While true, one could use the same argument to assert that we should not use the term "authentic" or "authenticity" and apply it to reproduction clothing and gear becasue only the clothing and gear CW soldiers had was "authentic."

Or, IMHO, still...

I can see "Campaigner" as nothing more than (so-called) Mainstream life just minus the modern camping under white canvas aspect being replaced by a blanket/gum blanket, and/or maybe a shelter half, or maybe a shebang.

But then there is the "Authentic Campaigner."

;) :)

Just a-funnin'...

(But not about the no universally agreed upon definition, denotation, or connotation part. Or the lack of universal agreement and concensus of "labels" and "terms." ;) )

Others' mileage, and jargon, will vary...

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                Just because I posted it, does not mean I "agree" with all of it. ;) :) :)
                Curt, that's too funny. Do you have a copyright on that sucker? I think I can get some mileage from it- truer words were never sprechen.... It may be better than the edit button!

I see your point about "Mainstream Campaigners". I just never paid them any mind! So..... if we think along the lines of the term "Authentic" as being ultimately unattainable, then "Authentic Campaigner" begins to look interestingly more applicable, doesn't it? Funny how a term so many years old is still so appropriate after all that time. Of course, until something else (?) comes along, I guess.....

Rich Croxton
                Rich Croxton

Comment

Campaign style

I find that 50% or more of the mainstreamers who come to a mainstream event carrying only a ground cloth, and a blanket for cover, or a shelter half, and eating out of thier haversacks are not doing it to progress to the next level. So calling them Mainstream campaigners" is not quite right yet. I would call them doing it "campaign style". Most of them do it because they find they can get out of Dodge quicker once the event is over, it's faster for them to set up camp, and go out to friday night dinner with thier pards. They are the first to look for shelter under someone elses tent once it starts to sprinkle, they are the first to borrow someone elses cooking utensils to cook thier food with, they are the ones who want to toss thier stuff in someone tent for safekeeping while they go hit the canvas mall.
                  Cris L. Westphal
                  1st. Mich. Vol.
                  2nd. Kentucky (Morgans Raiders)
                  A young man should possess all his faculties before age,liquor, and stupidity erase them--Major Thaddeus Caractus Evillard Bird(Falconer Legion CSA)

Comment

I was campaigning back in the 1970's, carrying all I owned in and out of the event in one trip, sleeping by a fire, eating what I cooked in a nasty skillet ... but then I was in high school and could not afford to buy a tent, stool and cooler full of food. I was lucky to have enough gas money to claim a spot in someone else's car to get to the event!

Once I got a regular job, I got the tent, cooler, etc.

My hobby has come full circle once again and I am back to not owning a tent, sleeping by the fire ...
                    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Joe, you must have stood out like a sore thumb. I'd bet you were ostrazcized and ridiculed to the nth degree! The question is, did you blouse your trousers, so as to be more acceptable to the "in" crowd?

I've gotta come out from under my rock more often. What a crying shame it is, that a term once treated with such reverence by the old boys, has been so badly abused by these mainstreamer charlatans!

Rich Croxton
                      Rich Croxton

Comment

Rich,

No, there were actually 7 or 8 of us in that 15 - 22 age range that were about equally broke and carpooled to events together. I don't think we had more than one guy in our particular little group that was older than 25 and married.
                        Joe Smotherman

Comment

I want to repeat the earlier suggestion to read and add the suggestion that he write, too. Higgins Eternal is a passable substitute for oak gall and the Gillott 404 is still being manufactured in Birmingham, UK.
                          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I would hate have to say it, but im gunna say it out right...

I was at an event in Illinois and I was a drummer boy. I had a 4 button sack coat with a pair of homemade pair of federal pants and a crappy forage cap. That was it... I finally work up the courage to go talk to the guys who were poor and didnt have tents...They laughed when I ask them that, and they said "we are arent poor were just different..."
                            I finally ask them if I could drum for them and they said sure why not... so I was sitting with them and they ask me to make a bedroll and I said " ok " and I rolled a blanket sloppy like and put it over my shoulder and that was it. Mind you it wasnt a federal issure blanket but it served me well in the past.

At the end of the event I was leaving and they came up and asked me to join them at another event...
                            Well the next month was here and I was thinking to my self how do I make myself look more poor or more different...
                            So I just came out and ask... THey told me look at orginal pictures and look at the books... doesnt matter witch book but make sure there are orginal images in them...

Again they ask me to come to another event and I carried a rifle this time I had done some research and finally I felt like I was more real...meaning...more authentic and more DIFFEREENT..

Not saying im perfect now but I think that with the research and things ive done I have met a lot of people who have top notch impressions...

If you have any questions, contact me... tell him to email me at christianjebb@yahoo.com

Yours in Service

Chris Jebb

AKA Double D
                            Christian Jebb

(Double D)

Comment

I may regret this but I feel the need to add a couple of cents here. It was said earlier in this thread that "mainstreamers" hold "campaigners/progressives/authentics" in contempt. Actually it seems to me the opposite it closer to the truth. The terms mainstreamer and farb seem to be used as if they were interchangeable. As a reenactor/living historian who would fall into the mainstream group, I find that insulting. I received a warning for insulting someone on this forum. It appears to me that there is a double standard in use. It is perfectly OK for a "Progressive/Hardcore/whatever" to insult the "mainstream" contingent as a whole but nothing can be said derogatory about a member of the "hardcore" sect.
                              I am well aware that this forum is "The Authentic Campaigner". I suppose I could do my forum perusing elsewhere but there are many useful facts and much useful information on this forum. I sometimes wonder if gleaning that information is worth being constantly insulted however.
                              Tom Dodson
                              47th Ga
                              Tom Dodson

Comment

Tom,

If you look at the list of categories as a scale, moving left to right, as you move past mainstream to campaigner, it is seen as moving up the scale or improving. Naturally once you have moved past a point, you don't wish to regress back to it and you hold in contempt all that is below you.

If you are insulted, don't read the posts. As has been stated on here before, this site is not for beginners and it isn't for the mainstream.

Have you ever considered moving beyond the mainstream and employing some of the things you've learned here? You might find you enjoy it.
                                Joe Smotherman

Comment

Working...
                                X